Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Since1982 »

I'm really sorry, I'm not capable to put my thoughts more clearly in English But hope you got the point.

Mipi
I just wish I could speak Slovenian ¼th as well as Mipi speaks English.

I have 2 A-line skirts in Fraser tartan that are not kilts, not pleated and not wool (too hot here year around) but those things dont stop the rare "Where's your bagpipes" comment in the Winter tourista season. Last time I heard that, I was buying gas and standing at the pump. It came from behind me and I responded without turning. I said: "I accidently got the mouthpiece dipped in some spoiled Limberger cheese and haven't been able to clean the taste out" I never looked to see what response I got..just got in my van and drove away. 8)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Mipi wrote:My opinion on "no comment" situation regarding men skirt wearing. I just believe the people are to polite to show or give any rude comments in most cases. Double looks are meaning that they noticed your skirt for sure, just don't wont to be rude. But again that doesn't mean they are accepting this as a norm. Just maybe don't care, have their own problems, don't like to be rude... I'm sure they are telling "stories" to their friends when they meet and have good laugh afterwards.
You may well be right, however if they want to discuss me later when I can't hear them it will do me no harm and if they get a laugh out of it then I've helped to brighten up a dull day for them :D It all helps to spread the word about guys in skirts a little further, so, as a group, we are all winners.

In fact I think you'll find most English folks can tell you exactly what they are thinking without saying a word; as a race we tend not to seek confrontation and so will not usually cause a fuss or tell strangers what we think. However it is very easy to distinguish between a slight smile of approval, a bemused "what is he wearing?" look and a "look at that moron; doesn't he know skirts are for women?" look. I've listed them in order of the frequency that they occur...
Mipi wrote:I'm really sorry, I'm not capable to put my thoughts more clearly in English :x But hope you got the point.
Mipi, I know many native English speakers who don't write it as well as you do.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Mipi
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mipi »

Kris wrote:
crfriend wrote:It's worth noting that I didn't get any grief whatsoever whilst I was carrying my newly-purchased maul.
Hmmm...
I guess that explains why no one ever commented on my hiking kilt while I was carrying an ice-ax? :)

Kris

Hmmm...
That makes me think.... Next time I must have my (home made) sword with me....That would do the trick.
Mipi
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mipi »

Milfmog wrote: You may well be right, however if they want to discuss me later when I can't hear them it will do me no harm and if they get a laugh out of it then I've helped to brighten up a dull day for them :D It all helps to spread the word about guys in skirts a little further, so, as a group, we are all winners.

Ian.

True, if this laugh is on my account and directed to me. Not ture if my kid or wife is involved in the joking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is my BIGEST issue for wearig skirts out and about.
skirtingtherealissue

Post by skirtingtherealissue »

Milfmog wrote:... however if they want to discuss me later when I can't hear them it will do me no harm and if they get a laugh out of it then I've helped to brighten up a dull day for them :D It all helps to spread the word about guys in skirts a little further, so, as a group, we are all winners.
I recently experienced the first audible, adverse :?, reaction to me wearing a skirt whilst shopping. Upon leaving Sainsbury's I walked past two men (I'd guess somewhere between late 20s to early 40s as I didn't look directly at them) who couldn't see exactly what I was wearing from the front as I was pushing a trolley. As I passed, one commented to the other (not too loudly, but loud enough) "is that a skirt? It is a skirt! Ha ha ha". I could hear them both burst into laughter as I walked away. At the time I was wearing a 14 inch blue denim skirt, sports sandals, polo shirt, and dark sunglasses. It certainly brightened their already sunny day. Unfortunately, recently I have been feeling that the little part of the world I inhabit has some very blinkered and myopic people.
Milfmog wrote:Mipi, I know many native English speakers who don't write it as well as you do.
Zara Phillips (Princess Anne's daughter) comes to mind when she was voted BBC sports personality of the year a couple of years back. "Amazing" was almost every other word in her "acceptance speech". I thought it an utter embarrassment that someone from the higher echelons of the British social heirarchy could be so inarticulate as to be unprepared and unable to speak publicly in her native language. Sadly this seems to permeate throughout British society today such that a significant proportion speak what I would term "pigeon English" and are thoroughly proud of it. I have no problem with dialects and accents, but poor grammar is a major bugbear of mine :x.

Anyway, back to topic.

On Saturday I wore the 14 inch denim skirt, black polo shirt, black opaque tights and slippers whilst the carpet store's salesman accurately measured the rooms to be carpeted. I commented he must see all sorts in his job to which he replied "yes". Then he recounted measuring a house in which the carpets "squelched" as he walked in. I guess he didn't really care what I was wearing; at least my home was relatively clean and tidy. I then changed into a similar length and style pale pastel yellow skirt and put on my black knee high boots to visit the local park with my kids. The local kids and their parents all know of my clothing choices and either make no comment or actually compliment me.

I think I may have disrupted the cricket match in the park as I noticed several fielders standing together who were looking around at me.

Yesterday I wore another black polo shirt, another 14 inch skirt in a similar style to the denim skirt in a very pale pastel pink, black opaque tights and black knee high boots. I wandered to the local shop to get some milk and a snack and had to pass some neighbours who I don't think had seen me before in a skirt (certainly not this obvious) :alien:. I could see them look in amongst themselves at first, but as I walked past them they all said good morning, as did I.

My next door neighbour was doing some redecorating yesterday, and had been given a carpet for her daughter's bedroom, but unfortunately it was the wrong size (too long and too narrow). She didn't want to put all the furniture back into the room without a carpet, so I offered to take her to the local carpet stores to see if they had any remnants that would fit. I asked if she wanted me to get changed or if she was ok with my attire. Time was a little pressing but she was unphased by my clothes and said let's just go :D. She was somewhat surprised that there were no comments or even noticeable looks at my clothing and the mission was accomplished. I then also ended up helping with some furniture construction and moving (still in skirt and boots).

Finally, yesterday, I also went to another local shop to pick up a pizza and some beer for my evening meal. I think I'm getting known in the shop as I was greeted with a friendly hello from a couple of the store workers as they walked out of the store room.

Today, I am wearing a short sleeved shirt in a sort of beige colour with criss-cross red and blue stripes (not a polo style and not really a checked shirt), a light brown straight skirt with fake front pocket tabs, chocolate coloured opaque tights and brown knee high boots. I'll have to go out later to get some dinner and have no intention of getting changed, although with no pockets I have to think where to put keys, wallet, etc. :roll:
Ash

Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step. - Dr Martin Luther King Jnr.
Mipi
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mipi »

skirtingtherealissue wrote:
Today, I am wearing a short sleeved shirt in a sort of beige colour with criss-cross red and blue stripes (not a polo style and not really a checked shirt), a light brown straight skirt with fake front pocket tabs, chocolate coloured opaque tights and brown knee high boots. I'll have to go out later to get some dinner and have no intention of getting changed, although with no pockets I have to think where to put keys, wallet, etc. :roll:

You should get somthing sporran like pouch or belt pouch, like here: http://www.nextag.com/belt-pouch/compare-html
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Because it's a skirt or kilt is no reason you HAVE to wear a sporran. There's nothing wrong with a good old fashioned "Fanny Pack". Hold's everything you need, has no leather thingies bouncing on your legs, has multiple sections with zippers, can be worn around the waist or over a shoulder or under the arm like an accessories bag.

The best thing about a Fanny Pack as opposed to a Sporran is the price. A top quality nylon Fanny pack can be had for under $10. USD. Try that price on an ANY quality Sporran. :boohoo: :pint:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Aye -
Unless it is for the most formal of formal occasions I do not wear a sporran of which I have just one!
In formal attire wearing the PC (Prince Charlie) jacket which has 2 pockets; that is all the space/room
I need for my stuff. If I need a bit more I use a hidden shoulder holster wallet.
For lesser formal occasions I use a fanny pack of mimimal design snugged up tight on the waist;
picture a sort of money belt. If out and about in the field (city) I use a larger pack with more
zippered compartments and a cell phone pouch on a belt clip.
And Since 1982 has it right - I could buy a half dozen fanny packs for the price of a cheap tasseled sporran
that does nothing but get in the way everyday movements!

"KILT-ON"
rm
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Since1982 »

r.m. said: I use a hidden shoulder holster wallet.
Is that the pocket in a coat or jacket right behind the lapel where the flower goes? I've never heard it called that before. It does make some sense to call it that though, from the Prohibition days in the US of A. :twisted:

r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Just like you would pack heat (firearm) in a concealed shoulder holster there are custom wallets/man purses
designed to carry more civilized needs hidden.
While not commercially available you could adapt the same for carrying in a thigh holster application
hidden under the kilt. For obvious reasons an ankle holster is just not going to cut it! No concealment
factor there. The detraction of the under kilt application is "Oh my God he is going for the Big Gun"
as the hem/apron is lifted to get the basic monetary or other needs!

"KILT-ON"
rm
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

The PC jacket I have has two small pockets about waist level about 4 inches above the hem line
and 6 inches inside the front of the jacket. One on each side of the inside of the jacket.
The vest worn underneath has a 3 button closing.
The jacket however does not button closed. The pockets are such that a money clip with/out
credit cards can be carried ok. Or for a smoker a pack of cigarettes and a zippo. A compact
folding cell phone or digital camera would fit also.
Bare minimal storage of short term.

rm
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

r.m.anderson wrote:The detraction of the under kilt application is "Oh my God he is going for the Big Gun"
as the hem/apron is lifted to get the basic monetary or other needs!
Well, it looks like I'm going to need to hose out the keyboard again due to a beer spray event. A little warning that that snippet was coming would have been welcome. :D

Why am I reminded of Cleavon Little's wonderful line in Blazing Saddles, "Excuse me while I whip this out." Dammit, I'm going to be chuckling all evening now....
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

Your initial post about the young man was very inspiring. I am still in my purgatory with mother, and have spent more time in blue jeans than I ever want to. Oh my god it is aggravating. The nylon of my hose are gonna be all fragile and crummy by the time I get to wear a skirt again.

She is also always telling me to change into jeans from my leggings before I go out.

GAH!!
" Pre-conceptions are the biggest enemy of humans. they prevent us from moving forward. If you want to see "another reality" you must first throw out your pre-conceptions. Every thing starts from there." -Mana
crfriend
Master Barista

Full circle.

Post by crfriend »

Well, out and about this evening I thought I'd do something daring and actually play with colour a little bit which I'm told I'm somewhat stiff on. So, following a much-needed shower, I opted for my ankle-length burgundy skirt, pink dress shirt, and blue archaic-pattern waistcoat -- and my grandfather's pocket-watch, chain, and ceremonial keys.

There's a problem, however. When I was searching for the proper thread to respond to (the "Out and About" one) I pegged the opening page and found something interesting: what I'd done this evening was not daring or experimentative in the least -- it's precisely the outfit described in the opening post in this thread (with the possible exception of the pocket-watch)!

So much for originality. It's come full circle.
crfriend
Master Barista

Town Meeting

Post by crfriend »

A little-appreciated facet of governance in the USA is the survival of the New England Town Meeting where municipalities call the citizenry together at intervals to vote "yea" or "nay" on articles having to do with the governance of the Town and expenditures that said Town may make. I'll not say that it's democracy at its finest (having seen fist-fights break out at said meetings when things got really heated), but it's pretty good.

So, Sapphire and I are sallying forth in a few minutes to have our say in the running of the Town. In my advancing age, I'm actually starting to take this seriously, but that does not mean that I'm going to toe the stereotypical male sartorial line; I'm wearing a black-based Hawaiian short with hibiscus flowers and hot-rods on it and a black calf-length skirt. She's wearing an amazingly simple, but elegant, blue tank dress.

It'll be interesting to see if we vote the same way... (We sometimes vote the same way, sometimes differently -- and we still love each other!)

Edit: 2009-08-10 21:25 EDT -- Well, we're home -- and back into air-conditioning; I'd say it's 80 degrees in the shade, but it's dark all 'round at the moment (What's all this rot about "Daylight Saving Time"?) so there isn't any shade.... There wasn't any shade at the middle/high-school auditorium, either; it was at least in the 80s.

Yes, I went to our little (~ 6,000 population) town's Town Meeting, and actually stood up in front of the (more than required) quroum to ask questions about the proposition to purchase an existing building to renovate into a Town Hall -- pointed technical ones, too. I'm likely on any number of "watch lists" now because I get the distinct impression that the Board of Selectmen and the Town Administrator thought I was directly challenging their authority and accumen. However, that said, I received a number of positive comments regarding the questions I asked of The Officials and nary a comment at all about my attire, in spite of Sapphire calling it out on at least one occasion for effect. I take this as a good sign!

If I find myself incarcerated in the morrow, Sapphire shall have to let you good folk know so a proper legal defence fund can be gotten going...
Last edited by crfriend on Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Update