Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Grok »

Assymetrical-that would be Skirtcraft. :idea:
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Bodycon wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:07 am Its not about the label, but the misuse of that label. Simply, it matters to those who don't wish to be labelled as something they are not.
You aren't responsible for how other people label you. In my life I have been labelled in many ways. "Nerd" was especially popular in the 90's. At some point I just stopped worrying about it. People gonna label. People gonna label wrong. Words are going to change meaning over time. There's not much you can do about that.

Now, perhaps you're worrying about people acting on those labels they've assigned a.k.a bigotry. Trans-people get this a lot of course, like gays before (I think that's less now). I don't know what to say here except in my experience they're fairly rare (though YMMV ofcourse).
Bodycon wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:07 am You may be gender non-conforming, but if wearing a skirt was taken by society to signify that you were a criminal, you would probably object.
Society doesn't label people. People label people. Most people are paying so much attention to their own lives that don't have time to worry about yours.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

jamie001 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:24 pm
Bodycon wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:07 am
jamie001 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:41 am Why does it matter if a man wearing a skirt becomes indicative of being on the gender nonconforming spectrum? I am gender nonconforming and there is nothing wrong with being gender nonconforming. It does not in any way lower a person’s status.
Its not about the label, but the misuse of that label. Simply, it matters to those who don't wish to be labelled as something they are not.

You may be gender non-conforming, but if wearing a skirt was taken by society to signify that you were a criminal, you would probably object.
jamie001 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:41 am On the other hand, if skirts for men becomes a “thing” then we will only get drab, boring colors and cuts just like the current state of men’s fashion. In this case, I will reject the men’s skirt and continue wearing a women’s skirt in the feminine colors and patterns that appeal to me.
So you get the wish for men in skirts to become accepted and businesses start to provide them, then you reject them? I think you would be in the minority and most folk like to have plain options in their wardrobe. Consider that you have to start somewhere and actually the best thing about skirts made for men would be the cut of the skirt, slimmer hips and thighs, a straighter waist to hip and a less of a bum. Small things that make a difference to fit and look.
I agree that the cut of the skirt to fit the male body will be a good thing. I am against the mindset of limiting men's skirts to the normal drab black, brown, blue, and gray. It is fine with me if they want to offer those colors, and I will probably purchase several of them, but they also need to offer bright colors and floral patterns.

The whole thing with the gender nonconforming is what grinds my gears.
Is for the most part far and wide women are exempt from being called gender nonconforming, non binary, trans, P Q Z
They can wear just about any style clothing, hair style, color etc and they are just being a woman.

Perhaps if choosing to wearing a fake beard or moustache then they might be labeled as gender nonconforming.etc

I have mentioned her before, there is a friend we know that I haven't seen her wear a skirt or dress in ten years or more.
She always wears denim jeans, wears t shirts or Polo shirts, has a short haircut perhaps about 1.5 inches long at the longest. To everyone she is just being her that's her every day goto look. She doesn't even dress up for mother's day, Easter or Christmas.
I have no problem with who she is or how she dresses. At least she's not wearing too tight yoga pants like alot of the women.

If I were to show up in, a kilt or denim skirt, I can guarantee I won't get the same "meh" oh is him treatment.

Men have to have to defend their choice. It's heritage, it's comfortable. I'm wearing it so I don't chafe.
Don't question the woman's wardrobe, you might not see the next sunrise.

As far as comments regarding rejecting male skirts. I reject them for three reasons, primarily the cost, most are set at a price point that is way to high for my budget. For instance Skirtcraft, I would love to own one or two
, But the cost is too great. Second, skirt companies have taken up a political stance/statement/ gender theory, I don't agree with. Or third the skirt is down right ugly in the first place. To date all male skirts are in one of these catagories.

Really what's the difference between a women's skirt and a men's skirt. It's like the wheel, how do you reinvent it?

The mans skirt?
Does it come infused with yak blood?
Perhaps it need come with a jock strap sewn inside
How's about special pockets for holding a beer can or a large pocket knife.
Attached bottle opener?
Comes with a free set of spark plugs with purchase of the skirt
Frontal balls pocket?
Would any of these really make it a man's skirt?

A successful male marketed skirt would have to be just be marketed to men, not be "inclusive"
Be practical with pockets, durable.
And a price point identical to buying a pair of cargo shorts.
Better yet,cheaper than those shorts.
Last edited by mishawakaskirt on Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Grok wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:23 pm Assymetrical-that would be Skirtcraft. :idea:
Ah, forgot about that. I wasn't thinking of it because the seams are asymmetrical, but the shape is not.
mishawakaskirt wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:51 pm And a price point identical to buying a pair of cargo shorts.
No, you were right the first time - I think it has to be priced identically. People are funny - there's a certain perceived value that a higher price will send. Heck, I've noticed this in myself at times.

Is it cheaper because it's inferior? Perhaps cheaper because they weren't able to sell them? The same with sales - the retailer would have to be careful not to put them on sale at a different time from the shorts.

There are just the things my non-retail mind comes up with, the experts probably know even more.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:51 pmA successful male marketed skirt would have to be just be marketed to men, not be "inclusive"
Be practical with pockets, durable.
And a price point identical to buying a pair of cargo shorts.
And it'd be immediately claimed by the gals as their own.

Something tells me that the way to "win" this one (if winning is even possible) will be to out-do them at their own game, and upstage them whenever possible -- which, right now, is a pretty trivial exercise given current "fashion".

Women dislike being upstaged, but this might cause a tipping point to bring us back to where they actually cared what they look like. I'll take decades to get rid of the tattoos and the piercings, but the general malaise in styles worn could come around pretty quickly. And what wouldn't be to like about a prettier more civilised world?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

I would not want pockets on a man's skirt!! AAAAARRRRGGGH! It would really ruin the look of a beautiful skirt. After a while, the skirt will start looking like cargo pants! I have many women's purses so I don't need to worry about having pockets. Also, I don't justify my choices. My justification is because I like it. That is all of the justification that I need for any feminine items that I wear. After all, women have been using the "because I like it" response for many years.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

I would never buy a skirt made for men. It would be over engineered and unattractive to wear and to look at.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

When I try to imagine a new version of a male skirt, I see a shapeless sack, dull in color, festooned with pockets.

In the past I have looked at online images of male skirts, and decided not to purchase because I didn't care for the look.

BTW, I doubt you will be able to convince the average man to buy both a skirt and a purse, so pockets are a must.
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

Grok wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:20 pm When I try to imagine a new version of a male skirt, I see a shapeless sack, dull in color, festooned with pockets.
I think u nailed it there.
I wear kilts and skirts, I like my stuff very simple and comfortable.
Most of my kilts are light weight Hybrid utility kilt. Black with red, green or purple.
Just a quick look u can tell its a Kilt,

But my skirts are very simple black, Ankle to above the knee, There all very loose comfortable thin fabric skirts.
I can wear them any were and no one bats an eye, My long black skirt is one of my fav. I can were it hottest day of summer and its still cool to wear, Yet on coldest day in winter i can wear it. All a company needs to do is make something simple and comfortable.
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Chirp wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:10 am
Grok wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:20 pm When I try to imagine a new version of a male skirt, I see a shapeless sack, dull in color, festooned with pockets.
I think u nailed it there.
I wear kilts and skirts, I like my stuff very simple and comfortable.
Most of my kilts are light weight Hybrid utility kilt. Black with red, green or purple.
Just a quick look u can tell its a Kilt,

But my skirts are very simple black, Ankle to above the knee, There all very loose comfortable thin fabric skirts.
I can wear them any were and no one bats an eye, My long black skirt is one of my fav. I can were it hottest day of summer and its still cool to wear, Yet on coldest day in winter i can wear it. All a company needs to do is make something simple and comfortable.
Me too, I have a few patterned skirts, nothing very patterned but a couple of blue with white dots and a couple of none kilt but tartan skirts. They don't get used as I just like plain clothes, As a large person I feel I stand out enough without drawing more attention, plain skirts are okay but eye catching patterns are just going too far for my brain. I go for my daily walks now through the village, always skirted and more and more now I am happy to walk in daylight and when people and cars are about, but eye catching patterns? still a step too far! My favourite is a navy blue skater skirt, so comfortable, total freedom of movement but no pockets so I always have a jacket on to carry my phone which measures my strides etc. The other favourite is my Incerunmen dress, again, plain brown and worn with a jacket, this time because a) I am not keen on cold shoulders and b) I am not sure about the 'man in a dress' look, it may be very comfortable apart from the shoulders but I still have my own personal limits.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:51 pm The whole thing with the gender nonconforming is what grinds my gears.
Is for the most part far and wide women are exempt from being called gender nonconforming, non binary, trans, P Q Z
They can wear just about any style clothing, hair style, color etc and they are just being a woman.
They're not called gender-nonconforming now, but in the past they certainly were (or at least would've been if the term had been invented). You can't get from where we are now to "normal" without going via "unusual", which is basically what GNC means.
mishawakaskirt wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:51 pm Perhaps if choosing to wearing a fake beard or moustache then they might be labeled as gender nonconforming.etc
Or by choosing not to shave it off. Maybe 5% of women have facial hair but shave it off. Why? For the same reason men worry about wearing skirts. Actually, I think there are more men wearing skirts than women sporting facial hair, so in that sense we're ahead.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

I guess I'm in the minority, but I'd love me a good "cargo skirt" that was a bit above the knee and fit nicely. Utility kilts aren't really the same, although I do have some that I wear.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

FLbreezy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:52 pm I guess I'm in the minority, but I'd love me a good "cargo skirt" that was a bit above the knee and fit nicely. Utility kilts aren't really the same, although I do have some that I wear.
I really like my old cargo skirts, blue denim, made by Midas clothing and made for men, The first one I bought was above the knee, it is too short for me though and straight enough to be a bit restrictive. I ended up buying another which is knee length, also an ankle length one and one something like 6 inches shorter so that it didn't get underfoot when I was sailing, they would make them to order which was nice. I haven't worn any of those for years now and I think they would be very loose as I have lost a lot of weight. As I really like them I don't want to wear them out, which is another reason they hardly get any use, I keep meaning to ask a local seamstress if they could copy the design for me, although now I would probably have to go for a smaller waist.
Right, time to choose a skirt and go for my daily hobble.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

FLbreezy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:52 pm I guess I'm in the minority, but I'd love me a good "cargo skirt" that was a bit above the knee and fit nicely.
Isn't that more or less what the original Skirtcraft design was about? Except for the knee: mine lies more or less on the knee. It has excellent pockets, and my wife approves of it ;-)
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

FLbreezy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:52 pm I guess I'm in the minority, but I'd love me a good "cargo skirt" that was a bit above the knee and fit nicely. Utility kilts aren't really the same, although I do have some that I wear.
I'm with you. I don't wear certain skirts as much because I want pockets!

Part of the reason my utility kilts get so much wear, is that they have great pockets. A straight or a-line skirt would be better in some ways, especially in the heat, but when I don't need a jacket, going without good pockets in my skirt is tough. Yes yes, I know, carry a bag... But I'd lose that. I'd lose my head of it wasn't attached...