Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Ray »

Weeladdie - I think I have found the thread - is it in the Kilts Kilts section?

I'm curious. What are your views on people wearing kilts in a non-traditional style? In particular, I'd be interested in your views on the following:

1. A kilt worn without a sporran
2. A kilt worn without flashes
3. A kilt worn without a marching jacket (Prince Charlie, tweed or Argyle)
4. A non-tartan kilt
5. A 22 inch hipster grey kilt, no sporran or jacket, worn with DMs, walking socks, sheer nude tights and a grey matching rollneck jumper *

* what I tend to wear :-)

Ray
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I am always seeking innovation and improvement. I am allergic to lanolin, however I like skirts and kilts in other fabrics, colors, and styles other than remaining with 300 year old traditional designs just for tradition. I wear skirts around the house and when hiking in the outdoors. I think it is function over form. I like light weight, stretch fabric with elastic waist or belt loops with an elastic belt. I like freedom and comfort and unlimited stride. I am not in a parade or traditional event where true authenticity is an issue.

I have used the term "kilt" because it is more masculine than "skirt." A lady asked me what I was wearing. I replied that it was a hiking kilt and a lot of guys are wearing them and they sell them on line. She acted like she understood that men in skirts are a current trend.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Cotton slips may solve a cloth allergy...I find there is a problem with modern built in liners to acrylic materials ore some times nylon slips
or old style nylon shirts.......Some kilts are pure wool ...some are acrylic.....may be a problem will occur with a particular shower gel....

All manner if problems with regard to what comes in contact with the natural skin.....Tights or stockings have their own problems with
constant use without washing ......dirty overall cuffs against the clean skin ......clothes washing chemical solutions ....all sorts of
different problems....BEST OF LUCK................weeladdie
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Wee Laddie,
Wheesht yer havering!
You can answer the question I put to you or not. The prerogative is yours but do not presume to lecture me on Scotland or the Scots!
weeladdie18 wrote:If you wish to insult Traditional Scottish Kilt Wearing Members of the Skirt Café, I would strongly advise you to ensure that you can respond to their comments and suggestions regarding your chosen lifestyle...................weeladdie
Which insult is this?

Furthermore I see no need to justify my chosen lifestyle to anyone!
That is my final word on this subject.
Steve.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Sorry, I posted in the middle of a spat. I will stay out of this.
I don't know how to completely delete a post.
Last edited by denimini on Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

It's all right Steve. He accused me of not answering his question once so I did answer and asked him a question or two in return and he hasn't answered them either. A case of do as I say not as I do. So don't hold your breath!
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Sinned wrote:It's all right Steve. He accused me of not answering his question once so I did answer and asked him a question or two in return and he hasn't answered them either. A case of do as I say not as I do. So don't hold your breath!
Good morning Sinned ....Is that the Moderators Decision ?.....................weeladdie
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

weeladdie18 wrote:Good morning Sinned ....Is that the Moderators Decision ?.....................weeladdie
The moderators had nothing to do with it. If you push buttons, expect a response; that's only human behaviour. However, the moderation team does expect some level of decorum on everybody's part, but this does not mean that we're going to get into personal slights unless it gets entirely unseemly. We are, after all, supposed to be adults.

Just sayin'.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Ray wrote:Weeladdie - I think I have found the thread - is it in the Kilts Kilts section?

I'm curious. What are your views on people wearing kilts in a non-traditional style? In particular, I'd be interested in your views on the following:

1. A kilt worn without a sporran
2. A kilt worn without flashes
3. A kilt worn without a marching jacket (Prince Charlie, tweed or Argyle)
4. A non-tartan kilt
5. A 22 inch hipster grey kilt, no sporran or jacket, worn with DMs, walking socks, sheer nude tights and a grey matching rollneck jumper *

* what I tend to wear :-)

Ray
Ray...You probably saw my comments on the Much posted Photo of the Scottish Boy Scouts wearing their Family Tartan Kilts as part of their Scout Uniform......
Wearing The traditional Scottish Kilt is the first hurdle to cross....Anyone who knows their Kilts will know how their Traditional Scottish Kilt should be made,
and the correct height of the hem and the number of pleats which the garment should have.....There is no dispute regarding this matter.......
Either a Kilt is a Traditional Scottish Kilt or it is not a Traditional Scottish Kilt....The Traditional Scottish Kilt is designed to give adequate Protection
to the wearer if the garment is worn with the recognised outfit......If the Kilt is not a Traditional Scottish Kilt the garment may not keep you warm and
may cause embaracement by blowing up in the wind.....The lassies love to see a man in his Kilt...but if his Kilt is not correctly made and does not give him
adiquate expected protection , the lassies will all laugh at him.....
If the Kiltie is not wearing the correct accessories with his Kilt the lassies may start playing Spot The Error and asking him why he is not correctly dressed....

Back in the Fifties and Sixties some Scottish School boys wore their Kilts as part of their Senior School Uniform....One of their greatest fears was to be
out on the Street alone and be surrounded by a group of ,say four, curious school girls.....If his Kilted School Uniform was not up to the mark.....
then he was in serious trouble.....

There is always the chance that a Retired Kilted Gentleman will be accosted out on the Street by an Elderly Grand Mother and a couple of charming
younger female relatives in her family....The Kiltie may be reprimanded regarding the nature of his attire....or praised for his attention to detail.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Reasons all for not wearing The Kilt. Too much grief and too much abuse over niggling little details. 'Tis a great way to put folks off the notion!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

crfriend wrote:Reasons all for not wearing The Kilt. Too much grief and too much abuse over niggling little details. 'Tis a great way to put folks off the notion!
Just call it a [something] kilt and say it is different from a traditional Scottish kilt - nobody can argue with that.

I used to tell people that mine was a Somerset kilt and the tartan was McSpreader.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Nice one pelmut. :lol:

WL. Carl [0], I disagree, comment and unless provoked further move on as the sands of time are want to do. No sense in wasting time and energy over past battles. Now what were we talking about.

[0] Nice intelligent and thoughtful answer, Carl. Just what I would have expected of you. 8)
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I had a very nice walk in the sunshine today. Frosty sharp spring day, just what the doctor ordered.
Wine skirt and grey jacket combo which was comfy for the weather.
I even had a couple of conversations with neighbours who haven't seen me in a while too.
No disparaging looks or comments. That is what I call out and about in the world at large.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:Nice intelligent and thoughtful answer, Carl. Just what I would have expected of you. 8)
It was intended to be entirely sarcastic. After all, what better way is there to discourage someone from doing something than to repeatedly drum into his head the notion that he'll be up for continual recrimination and hassle for breaking "Rules" that are mostly ill-founded legend at best and outright bunk at worst?

I can deal with the hard questions: "Oi! Wot's wit' the skirt?" just fine. It's the niggling little barbs I tend to find offensive largely because there's no cut-and-dry rejoinder (e.g. my sporran is 1/4 inch off centre or the flashes on my hose aren't perfectly with the correct threads in the weave). I can build bridges when required; don't fill the road needlessly with little potholes.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

weeladdie18 wrote:
Ray...You probably saw my comments on the Much posted Photo of the Scottish Boy Scouts wearing their Family Tartan Kilts as part of their Scout Uniform......
Wearing The traditional Scottish Kilt is the first hurdle to cross....Anyone who knows their Kilts will know how their Traditional Scottish Kilt should be made,
and the correct height of the hem and the number of pleats which the garment should have.....There is no dispute regarding this matter.......
Either a Kilt is a Traditional Scottish Kilt or it is not a Traditional Scottish Kilt....The Traditional Scottish Kilt is designed to give adequate Protection
to the wearer if the garment is worn with the recognised outfit......If the Kilt is not a Traditional Scottish Kilt the garment may not keep you warm and
may cause embaracement by blowing up in the wind.....The lassies love to see a man in his Kilt...but if his Kilt is not correctly made and does not give him
adiquate expected protection , the lassies will all laugh at him.....
If the Kiltie is not wearing the correct accessories with his Kilt the lassies may start playing Spot The Error and asking him why he is not correctly dressed....

Back in the Fifties and Sixties some Scottish School boys wore their Kilts as part of their Senior School Uniform....One of their greatest fears was to be
out on the Street alone and be surrounded by a group of ,say four, curious school girls.....If his Kilted School Uniform was not up to the mark.....
then he was in serious trouble.....

There is always the chance that a Retired Kilted Gentleman will be accosted out on the Street by an Elderly Grand Mother and a couple of charming
younger female relatives in her family....The Kiltie may be reprimanded regarding the nature of his attire....or praised for his attention to detail.
WL - thanks for the response.

My reading of your email is broadly that around half a century ago, girls would police kilt wearing with some zeal. Is that right?

Luckily we are in the 21st century now, and nobody cares what your kilt specifications are. In Scotland, if it’s wooly and tartan, it’s a traditional kilt - as the public now see it. If it’s not, then it’s a contemporary kilt.

There we go. Problem solved. Carl, you’ll be fine in a kilt! No kilt police here! :-) (well, maybe one in Cornwall ;-) )