Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Layne

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Layne »

Kilts do draw unnecessary attention. Wore nothing but kilts (that’s all I brought) for a week at Disney World - ever time (actually) I went through the turnstiles, I was “randomly selected for additional screening”. It got to be a joke, where my wife would go through and say, “I bet he’s been randomly selected for additional screening.”
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Layne wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:21 pmKilts do draw unnecessary attention. Wore nothing but kilts (that’s all I brought) for a week at Disney World - ever time (actually) I went through the turnstiles, I was “randomly selected for additional screening”.
That was not "random"; that was harassment. I hope it led to a stinging letter to Disney Management after the fact.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Layne wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:21 pm randomly selected
  • 1 Accident 2 Coincidence 3 Enemy Action
Yup a complaint could very well be in order.
Steve
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

crfriend wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:39 pm
Layne wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:21 pmKilts do draw unnecessary attention. Wore nothing but kilts (that’s all I brought) for a week at Disney World - ever time (actually) I went through the turnstiles, I was “randomly selected for additional screening”.
That was not "random"; that was harassment. I hope it led to a stinging letter to Disney Management after the fact.
Stinging letter to Disney will return a form letter apologizing for any and all inconvenience. Proving the kilt was the reason for the non-random attention will never be proven.

I say let them select you for random screening and while standing there, act normally and let them see that you are actually a normal guy wearing a garment made for guys. If they ask anything, tell them. Especially if it’s the Disney in Orlando. They’ll be in uniform sweating and you’ll be comfortable. Advantage kilt wearer
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Layne wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:21 pm Kilts do draw unnecessary attention. Wore nothing but kilts (that’s all I brought) for a week at Disney World - ever time (actually) I went through the turnstiles, I was “randomly selected for additional screening”. It got to be a joke, where my wife would go through and say, “I bet he’s been randomly selected for additional screening.”
Disney will not do anything about it. They don't care about you once you have spent the dollars to get in. I wore a skirt there one time and I will never go back, they will not get anymore of my money. The Disney police were following me around the place and when I suddenly turned to confront them they told me to keep moving or be thrown out. I was with my family and they said we were followed the whole time we were in the park. So my advice don't go to Disney World Fla. in a skirt.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

While I can obviously see why one would wear a skirt I don’t see the point in wishing to go to Disney World. That such an organisation should demonstrate fascist behaviour does not surprise me.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I was at Epcot when I was in high school (in pants, of course), would never go back.

As for going to a park like that, as a man, in a skirt? No way - I get “we should have fashion freedom” and for how liberal Disney has become you’d think that would trickle down to the staffing… but it still doesn’t feel like “man wearing a skirt” is in the acceptable rage of behaviors at a place like that. Maybe if you wore a rainbow shirt and had dyed hair?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Never likely to go to a theme park of any kind so not an issue and hadn't really thought about it.
Adolf, Benito and dear old Walt must be celebrating the enduring legacies which have come them.
Not nice people!
Steve.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Visited Disneyland once, back during the mid 1960s. Looks like that will be a once in a life time experience.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:44 pm
Layne wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:21 pm Kilts do draw unnecessary attention. Wore nothing but kilts (that’s all I brought) for a week at Disney World - ever time (actually) I went through the turnstiles, I was “randomly selected for additional screening”. It got to be a joke, where my wife would go through and say, “I bet he’s been randomly selected for additional screening.”
Disney will not do anything about it. They don't care about you once you have spent the dollars to get in. I wore a skirt there one time and I will never go back, they will not get anymore of my money. The Disney police were following me around the place and when I suddenly turned to confront them they told me to keep moving or be thrown out. I was with my family and they said we were followed the whole time we were in the park. So my advice don't go to Disney World Fla. in a skirt.
Makes me want to go to Disney now and wear a skirt. Change occurs through pressure.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

ScotL wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:17 am Makes me want to go to Disney now and wear a skirt. Change occurs through pressure.
In this case, the "pressure" would have to impact their profits.
Fred is absolutely correct, once you have paid the price, you take the chance and Disney is big enough to not give a damn.
Might be different if there was a massive backlash but given our minority, not very likely.
Any disruption would only serve to cause bigger queues and the other folks would really love us for that?
Final thought, are we talking "kilt" prejudice here or a wider issue with men in skirts generally.
Have they had history of men in kilts behaving badly?
Doubt we will ever know.
Steve.
Layne

Post by Layne »

crfriend wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:39 pm
No - I thought it quite humorous actually.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:04 pm
ScotL wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:17 am Makes me want to go to Disney now and wear a skirt. Change occurs through pressure.
In this case, the "pressure" would have to impact their profits.
Fred is absolutely correct, once you have paid the price, you take the chance and Disney is big enough to not give a damn.
Might be different if there was a massive backlash but given our minority, not very likely.
Any disruption would only serve to cause bigger queues and the other folks would really love us for that?
Final thought, are we talking "kilt" prejudice here or a wider issue with men in skirts generally.
Have they had history of men in kilts behaving badly?
Doubt we will ever know.
Steve.
Correct. Disney won’t change until their bottom line is affected. But I mean the people there. It’s a phenomenal place to people watch because it’s international. A man wearing a skirt walking around like it’s totally normal, would show a lot of people that normal guys wear skirts
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Kilts is recognized as mens wear. If not even kilts are tolerated, you can be sure that other open ended garments won't be either.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

One person being discriminated - not an issue as far as Disney is concerned.

One person escalating the issue, getting press coverage - that scales the impact on profits and also suggests a non-tolerant business. Would Disney take notice then? I’d suggest it’s more likely.