Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Caultron »

Yeah, not to be critical, but mixing plaids is generally a bad idea.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I managed to put a good look together this morning, mostly by accident. It's been cooler here in the past few days -- almost back to normal -- and opted for a light blue dress shirt, my fancy black waistcoat, and my "peacock" skirt. It wasn't until I actually got a look at it under sunlight that I realized it worked, and Sapphire independently backed that up, unsolicited.

I love it when a plan comes together, even if it is an accident!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Oh well, so much for my plan for today, I inyended to wear my new kilt to a real ale festival today, however the wind is big, the showers look very wet and it is still damn cold. Rather than try and control 12 yards of wet wool with a pint in my other hand, I am chickening out and wearing my only pair of jeans. The kilt has hardly been used and I can't bring myself to risking a £300 garment on its first real outing, just to prove a point.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

B&B,
There's nought wrong with being sensible, you'll enjoy the ale better. Besides, I'd hate to think what your kilt would weigh, soaked.
Enjoy!
Steve.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Ah but B&B is a big lad and it would be no trouble for him to stand up with 60lbs around his waist. It's the pint weighing the hand down that'd be the main problem and that's why it needs emptying quickly :wink:

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Ales were great, weather was mostly gale force winds wreaking havoc with the tentage, plus a lot of incredibly heavy showers. Food was mixed, it was also very cold so I am glad my knees were lagged!
All in all, a good day, even if I ended up spending £40 on a taxi to get home after missing the last bus, humph!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

"T'was the tale as told to me"
The scene, this morning, dental visit and a work meeting, early. Jolly good morning to a colleague in the passing.
As he reported it, you missed something, a lady spotted your skirt. She turned around so suddenly to gape that she fell, luckily, onto a bench.
Perhaps, personally no idea, I really try not to notice "double takes" these days. He may or may not be a completely reliable witness!
Simple fact, I'll discuss it ad nauseum with anyone who is brave enough, looks come free.
Is this a sighting in the wild?
Steve.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Bank Holiday in the good old UK. We have typical blustery rain in our corner.
I was intending to engage in some retail therapy but that didn't materialise. I've made a pact with myself, I will only buy a new skirt from a shop where I can try it on. Online purchases will only be made as a last resort.
That's an aside, I bumped into my wife's aunt, we had a fair chat and if she saw my skirt, she gave no reaction to it whatsoever.
On the plus side, I had an enjoyable coffee in our local John Lewis and even completed a crossword at the same time.
All very civilised and "chilled out".
Steve.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

So one of my favourite places to shop for skirts and things is a church thrift store that runs in the basement of the local church, its less than a block away. Unfortunately, the only 2 days a week it is open are ones I usually work. The time before this, I had worn a skirt, one of the plain ones that looks like shorts, I don't think the old dears noticed, until one of them saw me leaving. Not sure. This time, I wore the diagonal plaid wool one, which, as it happens, I bought there about a year ago. No way they wouldn't see that. One of the ladies blinked when she saw it, but didn't say anything. I eventually bought a long beige suede skirt, to small for me, but it was on the dollar rack, and I plan on shortening it, and grafting the removed panels into a front piece. Couldn’t resist, it's in perfect condition and was about $800 new~! A few minutes later, she brought me out 3 kilts and and 2 skirts for me to look at. I nearly laughed!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

She sounds like an astute businesswoman cultivating a steady customer. Nice to hear about it.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Mrs C and I went to a fete at Halsway Manor yesterday. We were coerced into standing at the gate to collect donations as people came in. I handed out programmes and wore a purple gypsy skirt. One man said 'A man in a skirt - why not?' A lady said she thoroughly approved. Another lady said something about if she'd known it was a TV convention ... I later thought a good reply would have been 'Come on in - there's already lots of ladies wearing trousers'.

Later in the food queue a guy wearing a tiger costume (children's entertainer) said he liked my skirt, and a teenage boy said 'nice one' with a thumbs up :D

It seems acceptance is growing, but it would be nice to see another guy in a skirt other than Pelmut.

Charlie

[Edited to tidy up link - Ian]
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

In town this morning, I had an interesting conversation with a rather elderly gentleman.
He started by asking why I was wearing a skirt. I replied with a stock answer, my choice, my freedom.
He then went onto inform me that I was going against society's and God's rules. That I should be setting a better example for the younger generation at my age.
He even went as far as using the analogy of driving on the wrong side of the road.
There was never going to be any counter argument that this guy would accept as possible so I bade him good day and got on my way.
As much as anything, I find is sad that there is such entrenchment in someone who has obviously seen so much of life and really learned nothing about any wider possibilities.
In contrast, I overheard a lady ask her male companion if he would like to try wearing a skirt? Unfortunately, I never heard the reply.
Steve.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

STEVIE wrote:I That I should be setting a better example for the younger generation at my age.
I think you are setting an excellent example, Stevie, showing others that we need not live in straitjackets of uniformity, that some people, at least a few, are capable of thinking for themselves and not just following the flock.

Keep it up,
Martin
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Charlie wrote:Mrs C and I went to a fete at Halsway Manor yesterday. We were coerced into standing at the gate to collect donations as people came in. I handed out programmes and wore a purple gypsy skirt.
[...]
It seems acceptance is growing, but it would be nice to see another guy in a skirt other than Pelmut.
There was another man in a skirt at Chippenham Folk Festival this year; neither of us saw him but I have received two independent reports of sightings. One of the reports was from someone at the festival, the other came via a friend who saw a comment about it in a registered-only section of AngelsForum. The description did not fit either of us - so who is this mysterious 'third man'?
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

pelmut wrote:There was another man in a skirt at Chippenham Folk Festival this year; neither of us saw him but I have received two independent reports of sightings. One of the reports was from someone at the festival, the other came via a friend who saw a comment about it in a registered-only section of AngelsForum. The description did not fit either of us - so who is this mysterious 'third man'?
On the Saturday morning we were standing outside the ticket office and there was a man in a purple calf-length skirt, but we didn't see him again. Also saw a guy in a black Utilikilt.
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.