Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Charlie »

I've reached the 'passing the time of day' stage with one of the market traders here in Wells. He refers to me as 'Hamish McDenim' because he's only seem me in a denim kilt.
His stall, which he runs with his partner, sells floaty skirts and dresses in the most gorgeously bright colours. I'm really tempted to go and buy one of his skirts and wear it to a contra dance. I suggested half jokingly to Mrs C that we get a matching pair to dance in. No sure if she took the message on board though.
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

On the notion of (brand-) name-dropping and advertising in general:

One of the things one will notice is that this forum is remarkably free of advertising, both blatant and subtle. This is by design. Many of us live in a world where we are immersed in advertising every waking moment of our lives, and some of us are getting tired of it. With the shill everywhere one needs an occasional respite from it. So, not only am I -- and I am writing this primarily from a personal perspective and not as the forum administrator -- advertising averse I am actively advertising-hostile.

I do not -- and will not -- own a piece of clothing that touts the designer or manufacturer in any way ("You have a crocodile on your shirt. Are you a herpetologist?"). I have been known to remove the manufacturer name from some of my automobiles if it's gaudy enough (in this case a discreet mark is fine, but not something in foot-high letters or outsized symbols (e.g. a basketball-sized Cadillac logo on the arse of a tarted-up Chevy Suburban or a gold-plated Lexus logo on the back of an overpriced Toyota)). It is not my place to hawk somebody else's wares, and I find the practice tacky. If you want to be a walking billboard, that's fine for you, but you're also communicating that you think it brings you status. It's not. The actual message is, "I paid twice for this than I had to." -- which leads to a conclusion by some of those around you that you have a case of "more money than brains."

If I am actively interested in a look, I will not hesitate to ask its provenance; otherwise, shoving it in my face is counterproductive.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

crfriend wrote:Many of us live in a world where we are immersed in advertising every waking moment of our lives, and some of us are getting tired of it. With the shill everywhere one needs an occasional respite from it. So, not only am I -- and I am writing this primarily from a personal perspective and not as the forum administrator -- advertising averse I am actively advertising-hostile.
Great to see someone else who shares another oddity with me, being advertising hostile, not just liking skirts.

I dislike all the advertizing people wear. They'd have to pay me a lot.

Of course, I make a bit of an exception for advertizing my own business. I hand out lovely refrigerator magnets I designed covered with pictures of our beautiful strawberries -- but I won't advertize here telling you the name of my farm. (send a SASE to ... )
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

While I haven't been bothered by mentions of skirt sources here on the forum, I will admit to also being at least borderline advert-hostile. I have even been known to type the base URL of sponsored links I find interesting when web searching - just because it is a "sponsored" link.

You certainly won't find anything in my wardrobe with a notable logo on it. My UK is probably the most advertising piece of clothing I'd actually wear out and about - and that at least is tone-on-tone embroidery. Well, actually, I have a few t-shirts given me because I worked a time at the place they advertise. Two of them are about a decade old by now, one still in near-pristine condition.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

My outfit for travel to Grenoble, almost formal, with tweed jacket and denim wrap skirt (pleatless kilt), ideal for narrow plane seats.
Whiling away time in Geneva airport yesterday.
image.jpg
Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

Martin
That's a good look. Have a safe trip.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

You have quite the sharp-looking rig there, Martin. Well done!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Very fine, I must say, Martin.

The weathered tweed jacket marks you down as an English aristocrat. Is that a little snuff box you're fingering in that right hand pocket?

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Couya wrote:My outfit for travel to Grenoble, almost formal, with tweed jacket and denim wrap skirt (pleatless kilt), ideal for narrow plane seats....
Great look!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Wore the outfit below yesterday with nippy temps that barely flirted with 60 thanks to a late April cold snap. Even in a crowded downtown area, no one paid me any mind as I wandered about, but when I went to Boston Market, one of the employees, a black woman in her twenties approached me, said with a smile that she liked my boots and asked if she could have them. Grinning back, I said I don't like walking around barefoot, she then joked that she was willing to trade her shoes, Dansko clogs and I replied they weren't stylish enough for me, and that got a giggle out of her. No mention of the skirt I wore, but she took notice of the boots. Kinda ironic if you ask me. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Super smart as ever, Jeff. I need to get a decent denim skirt - they suit guys so well.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Party last night, Them upstairs again. Think I wore a repeat of last time, diagonal plaid wool knee length skirt and Wine coloured sweater. Don't remember if I wore the opaque brown stockings last time though. ( cold snap yesterday ) Some had seen it before, some not. No issues, only one comment, "I like your kilt. " "Thanks!" "Is that a kilt?" "Not exactly, I'd wear one, but I can't afford one, this is my poor man's version"
Reaper_Man
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Reaper_Man »

last weekend i was wearing a short multicoloured tie dyed ra-ra type skirt with spiderweb tights and a t=shirt, i was stood at an ATM (cash machine) withdrawing some hard earned when behind me i heard a bloke shout to his mate (who was several yards ahead of him) "Oi" his mate turned around and the bloke continued "Cock in a frock" .... i ignored him

Now you might think that the skirt was a little odd (for a bloke to wear) and thus the comment should probably have been expected but ... this happened in Whitby (UK) during Whitby Goth Weekend where men in weird and wonderful skirts and dresses is a common sight throughout the whole event (which actually runs over about 5 days what with all the fringe events etc) and these two people must surely have seen plenty of them unless they were walking around with their eyes shut, i also got the impression that the two concerned were locals and as the Goth weekend takes place twice a year and has done for 21 years you'd expect them to have seen it all before ... strange people
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Got my invite to an annual (Kentucky) Derby party this year along with "why don't you wear your kilt?"

:shock: Hmmmm. So I did: Scottish National tartan with black socks and shiny, freshly polished shoes, belt, sporran, white dress shirt, blue tie and Navy suit jacket under a black Glengary cap. Counted 14 ladies I didn't know who came up to both compliment and ask questions about the kilt (and 1 of them with the obligatory "what's UNDER the kilt") before I stopped counting. The improvised kilt suit went over better than I thought, and didn't receive any bad remarks from the couple who were members of the local Scottish society. :D

This was a party with the Mayor, the official Derby Queen and her Court, uniformed Derby trumpeter with his herald trumpet and various local celebrities attending along with some foot-stompin Bluegrass music at one end and an excellent classical harpist at the other end of the venue.

PS: And the Bourbon Barrel Cake was most excellent!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Couya wrote:My outfit for travel to Grenoble, almost formal, with tweed jacket and denim wrap skirt (pleatless kilt), ideal for narrow plane seats.
Who could not accept men wearing skirts seeing such a smart and confident portrayal.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia