Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by FLbreezy »

A few days ago I drove my wife to a doctor's appointment and was wearing my black Purple Rain kilt (that's not really a kilt). It always feels pretty invisible to me, it doesn't stand out and people generally either don't notice it or don't think to much about it when they do. Well, it was pouring rain so I dropped my wife off at the covered entrance and went to park the car and went into the building a few minutes later. While waiting for an elevator I noticed a guy off to the side very obviously looking me up and down. He was the retired, barrel-chested, ex-Navy type. I saw an elevator start to arrive and turned away to face it and realized more people had got behind me...I rode the elevator up with 4 other people. Everyone else got off on the floor before mine except this guy, and he's still looking me up and down, like I'd broken his brain or something. I wish I'd thought of something funny to say at the time. :lol:

Yesterday I did early morning shopping at Sam's Club wearing the same outfit. One of the workers, woman in her thirties I'd say, paused as she walked past me in frozen food and nodded down to my lower half and said "I really like that, I hope you have a wonderful day!" which really put a smile on my face.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Today I went for my first ever CT scan, I was told that if I wore clothing with no metal it would be much easier because I wouldn't have to change. So I wore one of my favourite T shirts (Pizza Gut) and one of my favourite skirts, a blue skater skirt. It didn't work, I still had to change into those robe things. Still, it gave me a chance to wear a favourite skirt to the hospital, no comments at all. The staff in the Vale of Leven hospital are superb, so friendly and efficient. I have been there for quite a few different scans and also a camera up somewhere I didn't really want a camera to set foot! every one I have had dealings with has been brilliant. Thanks Mr. NHS! I feel I am getting my monies worth now!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:12 pmToday I went for my first ever CT scan, I was told that if I wore clothing with no metal it would be much easier because I wouldn't have to change.
Generally speaking, CT scans -- which are X-ray based -- don't care too much about metal save for X-ray scattering.

It's MRI devices that have a problem with metal -- and it's not just ferrous metal like one would expect. Any metal at all if it's conductive (and most are) will have currents induced in it by the strength of the magnetic field in the machine. This causes them to become momentary magnets themselves, and the current can heat the metal in some rare instances to the point where it can cause burns.

I had an MRI done of my lower back in the very early 2000s after re-injuring my back from a 1989 injury -- and I wore a simple elastic-waist pull-on A-line skirt, one of my normal dress shirts, and an elastic to restrain my ponytail. I left my watches in the car, and my car-keys at the desk, and they simply loaded me into the barrel of the MRI device as I arrived. I may have had to kick my shoes off, though; I don't recall.. I found the audio "vocabulary" of the machine most fascinating indeed; It's not just bangs, it's little buzzes, the occasional beep, a pure tone of some specific frequency. Astonishing machines. I have the resulting imagery as my doctor didn't know how to read the MRI image and relied on the interpretation of the professional. In looking at the imagery myself, and with a read of the interpretation, I was astonished that even my untrained eye immediately spotted most of the stuff that the interpreter got stunningly right, and with good compositional skill, I'll add!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

crfriend wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:45 pm It's MRI devices that have a problem with metal -- and it's not just ferrous metal like one would expect. Any metal at all if it's conductive (and most are) will have currents induced in it by the strength of the magnetic field in the machine. This causes them to become momentary magnets themselves, and the current can heat the metal in some rare instances to the point where it can cause burns.

I had an MRI done of my lower back in the very early 2000s after re-injuring my back from a 1989 injury -- and I wore a simple elastic-waist pull-on A-line skirt, one of my normal dress shirts, and an elastic to restrain my ponytail. I left my watches in the car, and my car-keys at the desk, and they simply loaded me into the barrel of the MRI device as I arrived. I may have had to kick my shoes off, though; I don't recall.. I found the audio "vocabulary" of the machine most fascinating indeed; It's not just bangs, it's little buzzes, the occasional beep, a pure tone of some specific frequency. Astonishing machines. I have the resulting imagery as my doctor didn't know how to read the MRI image and relied on the interpretation of the professional. In looking at the imagery myself, and with a read of the interpretation, I was astonished that even my untrained eye immediately spotted most of the stuff that the interpreter got stunningly right, and with good compositional skill, I'll add!
Yes, I wondered about how metal would affect things and had assumed it must have been something like the X-ray emitters being sensitive to interference. I haven't had an MRI but understand that metal would really be bad in those. I suppose I might end up having one depending on my particular collection of ailments, 2 identified so far and the third being hunted, hence the CT scan today. I would almost put money on one of three things and hopefully in a couple of weeks I will know more. Oh hell, I've started to think again, I need a drink!
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

crfriend wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:45 pm It's MRI devices that have a problem with metal -- and it's not just ferrous metal like one would expect. Any metal at all if it's conductive (and most are) will have currents induced in it by the strength of the magnetic field in the machine. This causes them to become momentary magnets themselves, and the current can heat the metal in some rare instances to the point where it can cause burns.
This is why you don't want metal near an MRI:
Oxygen Tank Sucked Into MRI Scanner Hits And Kills Man

It's not even the first time.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Fortunately the MRI does not have impact on the - gold in the teeth - silver in the hair and lead in the ass.

Recently had two of these diagnosing cancer - amazing what the doctors can see without cutting you open to the bone.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Went out today at the Ann Arbor Art fair - denim skirt, white graphic t-shirt, matching tennis shoes and watch (to t-shirt graphic). Also had on a belt bag as the skirt didn't have pockets. It's a funky town as is - and I didn't appear to attraction either way, which is how I like it to be :D Spent 4 hours walking, and one at a restaurant.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Out in town today, bought hi-tops or baseball boots as they would have been in my younger days.
Very full skirt and a good breeze, just managed to avoid a Marilyn incident.
Still felt good though.
Steve.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Well todays walk was very, very wet. Incerunmen dress with waterproof jacket over it, early evening today, basically full daylight and with folk about. I walked early so I didn't have to finish our virtual pub early to get my walk in. That didn't work, ended up shutting my stuff down and unplugging everything due to thunder in the locality just in case lightning could strike the power network, that does happen around here.
I have now dried off, got a cat asleep on one knee and another sleeping on the computer, which is nice!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Holy carp. We had a staff appreciation day with a trip to a base ballgame (tigers). I wore a green knee-length skirt and yellow t-shirt, and figured attendance to the game would light. Had I known the sheer number of people (there were thousands) I would not have skirted. But guess what? It was fine. Walked the entire circuit of the stadium with some coworkers before the game.
Last edited by Coder on Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:52 pmHoly carp. We had a staff appreciation day with a trip to a base ballgame (tigers). I wore a green knee-length skirt and yellow t-shirt, and figured attendance to the game would light. Had I know the sheer number of people (there were thousands) I would not have skirted. But guess what? It was fine. Walked the entire circuit of the stadium with some coworkers before the game.
You have been through the "cleansing fire" and came through with your head held tall -- well done! After that, you should be fine. Do not look back, even wistfully.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:52 pm (there were thousands)
Hi Coder,
Well done, but here's a thought to ponder.
Thousands, no doubts about that at all. Some of them saw you some did not, so far so good!
Some approved, some, well there is no helping some folks.
Then and possibly only one solitary lonely dude thought, hey I could do that too!.
Congratulations, you are now a skirted ambassador man!
Welcome to the rollercoaster that is life in a skirt.
Steve.
TomOfTx

Post by TomOfTx »

STEVIE wrote:
“Then and possibly only one solitary lonely dude thought, hey I could do that too!.”

I totally agree! I am taking the same approach out in public. Hoping to influence another average guy to see that any fear of wearing a skirt is only inside their mind. I am sure there are many guys who have tried a skirt too and have not been confident enough to step out into the world while wearing a skirt. When I read comments from others here on the Internet that said once you start wearing a skirt you won’t want to stop seemed like a bit of exaggeration. It was actually true for me. There is no turning back now! 😎
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:57 am Thousands, no doubts about that at all. Some of them saw you some did not, so far so good!
Some approved, some, well there is no helping some folks.
Then and possibly only one solitary lonely dude thought, hey I could do that too!.
Yes - that thought went through my mind. I used it as a tool to keep myself from panicking - how at any age had I seen a guy wearing a skirt casually, what that would have done for my psyche. I figure there was at least one person in the stadium that day - whether they saw me or not, who knows.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:04 pm how at any age had I seen a guy wearing a skirt casually, what that would have done for my psyche. I figure there was at least one person in the stadium that day - whether they saw me or not, who knows.
You and me both Coder. I have realised more and more as my skirted journey continues just how damnably lonely I was in the past. Frankly, a guy in a skirt in plain everyday sight would have blown me away.
On the second point, none of us really know all the people that we may have influenced for better or worse, we can only do the best we can.
Steve.