Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by weeladdie18 »

To go even further off the thread there have been considerable debates regarding The Traditional Scottish Kilt ...Is it acceptable to wear
An eight yard Kilt made in Grey or Black Skirt Weight Material ?.......

I am considering a garment which is the same design as a traditional Kilt but is not made of Kilt Weight Material..........

By cutting out some of the internal strengthening material and using machine stitching instead of hand stitching
the cost and life span of the garment would be reduced....Just a radical way forward....
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I must admit I am getting old. but I feel very offended when folks tell me they are wearing the Kilt when they have never worn the Kilt
with members of a Scottish community and they have never seen the Kilt hanging in their family's wardrobe
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Some members consider they can look at their computer screen and tell me all about the Traditional Scottish Kilt...............

These people have more chance of me believing their posts if they turn their computer screen on its side and jump into the screen and tell me
that they are a Goldfish in an aquarium.............
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

weeladdie18 wrote:Perhaps going off the thread ....would a Black Below the knee straight skirt work for dining in the evening....Was it Suit and tie ,...Black Tie...or shirt sleeve order ?.....

It is perhaps more important to know which cutlery to use to eat one's meal....than what a male is wearing below his waist.

I remember many years ago a skirt wearing male was banned from wearing shorts in the dining room of his Hotel.....so he was accepted in a suitable skirt...

This whole issue is re inventing a formal way of dressing as a man in a Skirt
It is.

A black, or at least just plain, below the knee straight skirt is what I wear to places where expectations are a little more formal. I don't hestitate to wear a tie either, if it seems appropriate, or one of my fancier dress shirts with mandarin collars. I think I'd only run into trouble if the dress code demanded a jacket. Women solve this easily because they have such a variety of little jackets that match their dresses, but none of my suit jackets look good with a skirt so I'd probably have to mix and match for hours before deciding some combo was adequate. I would not wear a tuxedo even if required. I'd demand the right to follow the same rules as for women, and use that as an excuse to explore some uncharted waters.
Daryl...
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thanks for that Daryl.....my obvious start would be a Scottish Argyle Day Wear tweed Kilt Jacket or black Bonny Prince Charlie evening wear Kilt Jacket.

However to confuse the issue I have a female below the knee skirt suit with a hip length jacket.....

Check out Scottish Kilt Jacket Suppliers....You will see how the jacket sits on the hips and is cut away for the sporran.....The jacket is commonly worn
with a matching waist coat...No waist belt is worn between the Kilt and the Waistcoat ......

The Kilt is supported by the straps on the waist level at the position of the indentation between the rib cage and the hips.

The problem with the man in skirts outfit is how to cut the cost of the items due to low production requirements. ....tailor made jacket is the answer.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

8/9, those are two fine outfits, simple and effective.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

Hi all:
I was out on a trip to boston for 3 days (my wife had a business conference and I went along).

I brought 2 skirts and one pair of pants. The pants were not worn. I figured I would test myself walking in a major city as we have a trip to Barcelona next week and I hoped to bring a few skirts.

Arriving, the valet came over. When I got out he saw that i was in my Skhoop puffer skirt (it was cold out). He was much more personable than I was used to and even walked me around the building (Park Plaza Boston) to help me with my luggage, leaving the car right in the middle of the street.. I guessed it was the skirt somehow made him more helpful and friendly, but it might just be the hotel level of service. When I tried to check in, they could not as the room was in my wifes name. I didn't care really because I was intending on doing a day of programming and it can be done anywhere, and this hotel has the best WIFI i have ever experienced, and I mean anyplace (even home). After being there for hours, I noticed that a few people were catching glimpses as if they hadn't seen a man in a skirt before.
One of the Hotel Porters, came over and said "I support you and I'm looking forward to the parade in June. He evidently mistook me for a trans. He told me that the parade goes right by the hotel. I wasn't sure how to respond so I thanked him for the support, and explained no further. I dress in a way that is familiar on this board, top fully male, but skirt and tights(a true trans would probably not be impressed).
After awhile I was walking by the front desk and one of the desk clerks asked if they could help me. I stated that I was waiting for my wife to come at 5 (it was now 4pm) so I could check in. The clerk said, I see you have been here all day, let me get the manager. The manager came out and started to explain that they can't let the spouse check in if the name isn't on the reservation for privacy reasons. (Earlier they could not even confirm we had a reservation). She said it could cause obvious problems if they admitted to a spouse that the other was booked. I said thank you and started to walk away. Suddenly she said, "I'm going to make an exception as it is obvious that you are waiting for your wife". So then she starts to check me in and said "to make up for the inconvenience I'm going to upgrade you to a suite with a view of the park" and she did. The accommodations were great. (Skirt have a part in this? Who knows?)
I went out to walk, and eat by myself for the night and everything was uneventful. I walked for miles around Chinatown and the Theater District. Back to eat a nice dinner at a mexican restaurant and no one said a thing. In the elevator going back to the room, one mature woman kept eying my skirt and said "Just WHAT are you wearing!" in the tone that indicated disapproval. I said "it's a puffer skirt, it is cold out you know".. That got the other 2 women in the elevator to compliment me on how good it looked on me, and that they approved in my choice. Everyone smiled, myself included.
The next day I put on a green kilt. I again walked around the city, and everyone was nice to me. I was approached by several different tourists asking for directions (evidently I looked like I belonged there). When I got back to the hotel there was evidently a Gala of some sort and, for the first time ever, I met up with 2 guys in Kilts. They waved and kept on going (like the wave of prius owners). This was the second time in my life that I met skirted men while I was also in a skirt.
All in all it was a good experience. I know now that the right skirt, coupled with insulated tights, is actually much warmer than pants. I also noted that no one seemed to mind, and that most people, if they notice, seem to approve. My wife had no problem with it, and we even went out for dinner and drinks with co-workers. Evidently she had already shared my dressing habits.

Sorry if this was a bit long, but it could have been longer. Also sorry for the low quality of the photo, I actually could not seem to find a way to selfie when on the street without asking someone to do it. Since the goal is to not make a big deal, I couldn't ask anyone..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dick Ackerman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dick Ackerman »

Sounds like you had a great time. I have walked around Boston a number of times in a skirt and it has always been a very positive experience. And yes the skirt does generate some unanticipated perks.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thank you Lazerr....Interesting story
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Well done, Sir.

Boston is a pretty accommodating place, and I have lots of very good memories of the place, some of which have been published here. Boston Park Plaza is a fairly posh spot, so I suspect the treatment you received was in accordance with standard practise.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
mskirt

Post by mskirt »

Looks warm! I’ve never heard of a “puffer skirt”. That was a great experience thanks for sharing.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I enjoyed your story thanks. 2 skirts and one pants ........ and not wearing the pants is great.
lazerr wrote: In the elevator going back to the room, one mature woman kept eying my skirt and said "Just WHAT are you wearing!" in the tone that indicated disapproval. I said "it's a puffer skirt, it is cold out you know".. That got the other 2 women in the elevator to compliment me on how good it looked on me, and that they approved in my choice. Everyone smiled, myself included.
Nothing like calling a skirt a skirt. I loved the response "it's a puffer skirt, it is cold out you know" ........ making the skirt as normal wear and referring to the type of skirt as the logical answer to the question, also inferring; of course I would be wearing a puffer skirt in this weather.

By the way I had never heard of a puffer skirt before (only a puffer fish which is so named for a different reason, and would be less comfortable).

lazerr wrote: Sorry if this was a bit long, but it could have been longer. Also sorry for the low quality of the photo, I actually could not seem to find a way to selfie when on the street without asking someone to do it. Since the goal is to not make a big deal, I couldn't ask anyone..
I have the same problem, if you ask someone to take a pic, you are behaving as if it is something novel ........ unless you had a special background that people would understand you wanted a pic in front of.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

My out and about experiences are usually fairly run of the mill these days but a week or so ago I consciously had to make a decision. Normally I wear pants to a formal occasions and consider skirts (mini) as casual or workwear.
There was an occasion where a State Member of Government was coming to town to make an announcment of some funding (elections coming soon). They wanted a good turn up and organised a BBQ in the park at 5.00pm. The weather was forecasted to be 45C. Imagine, a sausage sizzle at 45C in a park ...... or are we going to be the silly sauages sizzling.
No way was I going to wear pants in that situation so I went in a 14" khaki mini skirt. There was a couple of people in knee length shorts (???) and one other person in a skirt which made me feel better. Predicatably a few media people were there taking photographs and I was sure I would show up in one of them, particularly talking to the MP, but none have turned up as yet (I am sort of dissapointed as I was hoping to post one here). I couldn't even detect a second glance from the people from away (the locals are used to my skirts). I had many good chats and was one of the last to leave, grabbing some of the many left over cooked sausages - to freeze and curry at a later date (avoiding the messy frying part of the process).
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Good show D but if he was looking for funding you could have gone naked and he wouldn't care :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mark as in Mark
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mark as in Mark »

lazerr wrote:After awhile I was walking by the front desk and one of the desk clerks asked if they could help me. I stated that I was waiting for my wife to come at 5 (it was now 4pm) so I could check in. The clerk said, I see you have been here all day, let me get the manager. The manager came out and started to explain that they can't let the spouse check in if the name isn't on the reservation for privacy reasons. (Earlier they could not even confirm we had a reservation). She said it could cause obvious problems if they admitted to a spouse that the other was booked. I said thank you and started to walk away. Suddenly she said, "I'm going to make an exception as it is obvious that you are waiting for your wife". So then she starts to check me in and said "to make up for the inconvenience I'm going to upgrade you to a suite with a view of the park" and she did. The accommodations were great. (Skirt have a part in this? Who knows?)
I think that if you had been hanging around in pants you would have gone unnoticed. But wearing a skirt, you were noticed, that for some reason you waiting around for something or someone. The skirt didn't get you the upgrade, but it did make the hotel staff more aware of your presence.

Great story by the way!
I was told I have balls for wearing skirts! My reply? "That's because balls this big won't fit in pants!"

https://www.pinterest.de/Mark_as_in_Mark/me/
https://www.instagram.com/markbryan911/