Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Milfmog

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Milfmog »

To visit the polling station this morning (we have elections for the European Parliament and our local councils here today) I wore a white polo shirt over a beige above the knee cargo skirt, this was teamed with a pair of green/grey training shoe styled sandals (no socks).

My wife and I went in together, following several other folks. All the others were stopped and spoken to by a chap supporting one of the candidate parties but we just got a "good morning" and a slightly sidelong glance. The most noteworthy thing about this is that my wife did not pause for a minute at my choice of skirt, until recently she generally preferred me to wear a kilt if I was out with her.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

The past three days have been unusually warm for the Seattle area, so, my outfit for class the past three days has been one of my above-knee black pleated skirts, combined with various t-shirts and kneesocks. Today, wore a white t-shirt and a pair of black trouser socks with gold swirls on them. Yesterday, red t-shirt with black/white polka-dot kneesocks, and on Tuesday, black t-shirt with brown/orange/black argyle kneesocks. All three days, footwear has been a pair of new balance athletic shoes.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Mipi
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mipi »

My opinion on "no comment" situation regarding men skirt wearing. I just believe the people are to polite to show or give any rude comments in most cases. Double looks are meaning that they noticed your skirt for sure, just don't wont to be rude. But again that doesn't mean they are accepting this as a norm. Just maybe don't care, have their own problems, don't like to be rude... I'm sure they are telling "stories" to their friends when they meet and have good laugh afterwards.

I'm really sorry, I'm not capable to put my thoughts more clearly in English :x But hope you got the point.

Mipi
veletron

Post by veletron »

Hi

I'm also basically wearing what I please these days. I commute daily on the train from Stirling into Edinburgh - my fellow passengers and workmates also appear to have gotten used to my dress sense!

This last week:

Monday: Above the knee straight blue denim skirt with mens checked shirt & sandals
Tuesday: Light weight denim look cotton skirt, wee bit shorter with black/grey collared top & sandals
Wednesday: Denim mini skirt over black leggings with long sleeved black top & sandals
Thursday: Black above the knee pencil skirt, tan tights, grey top and sandals

I reckon i'm probably skirted about 50% in winter and 75% in summer these days.

Nigel
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

You always have worn what you pleased didn't you, Nigel??? At least for the 5 years I've known of you.. 8)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sapphire and I were "Out and about" last night for dinner, and on the way out Sapphire paused to say "Hi" to a couple of folks we know, and as I paused to wait, I got a good hard look from a 20-something woman who commented on my rig, "I like your dress!" -- in a very positive tone, I might add.

The rig in question was a reddish-purple tiered skirt, my red waistcoat, and a white dress shirt -- hardly confuseable with a dress, but as there's no real basis to go on for skirts as menswear, and the use of a moderately unfamiliar "top garment", I could understand her confusion. I graciously thanked her for her observation, and then Sapphire and I departed.

Comments like that can make one's day!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
stefan

Post by stefan »

Hi. I am just back from a trip back and forth to a large hardware store. Since it is a little cold and windy outside I choose my ankle long black skirt for the walk. The walk to the shop and back took about 45 minutes. In the shop when I coudn't find what I wanted I asked for help and was helped very politely without so much as a reaction. No reactions from any one else either and I met quite a lot of people on the way to the shop and back.

I really loved the way the skirt was blowing around my legs in the wind. That was fenomenal. :D
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

stefan, I think it was fenomenal too, and I'm not making a joke. If phenomenal is not spelled fenomenal, how come fun and fart aren't phun and phart? Screwy language English is. That was a great story about the uneventful trip to the store and back! I've been publically skirted here for 3 years now so no one except touristas ever notice, so I don't think about it anymore, but I remember when I did and worried about it...:thewave:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
stefan

Post by stefan »

Hi,

I was out on a local restaurat tonight wearing a kneelength denim skirt. The reastaurant was really crowded. No free seats except for the bar which is where I sat down. I minded my own business until a neighbour started talking to me. We had a chat around Sch-Fi books etc since I was reading a book. After a while he said "if I am not mistaken you are wearing a skirt" Whats the story? I told him its a were comfy garment and he admitted to being homophopic and that was then end of the discussion. We discussed many other items but not anything related to my skirt.

/Stefan
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Since1982 »

Did you try explaining to him that "homophobic" was only concerning "HOMO" as in homosexual things? Not Manskirts per se. Did you mention to him that you weren't gay so homophobic shouldn't cause any problems between the two of you? For all intents and purposes, a man's skirt is no different than a man's kilt and no parameter as to what, if anything that garment means besides a comfortable piece of cloth worn for the express purpose of comfort, while still covering that area of the body deemed to need privacy. :alien: :hide: :alien:

stefan

Post by stefan »

Skip,

It is kind of fun actually. It took about 1 hour before he enven mentioned my skirts at all and when I said that it was a comfortable garment and I recommended him to try it he mentioned the homophopic thing. I did explain to him that I was not gay or a transvestite or anything like that. I was nor pretending to be a woman at all.

I guess we have a lot of information to spread to our brothers that has never been wearing a skirt. :D :D :D
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Mipi wrote:My opinion on "no comment" situation regarding men skirt wearing. I just believe the people are to polite to show or give any rude comments in most cases. Double looks are meaning that they noticed your skirt for sure, just don't wont to be rude. But again that doesn't mean they are accepting this as a norm. Just maybe don't care, have their own problems, don't like to be rude... I'm sure they are telling "stories" to their friends when they meet and have good laugh afterwards.

I'm really sorry, I'm not capable to put my thoughts more clearly in English :x But hope you got the point.

Mipi
The fact that there is no comment doesn't necessarily mean they're not trying to be rude. Most colleges on the west coast of the USA tend to have an "anything goes" attitude about things. I usually wear kilts @ the college I go to, and the response, 99% of the time, is the same as I mentioned in my previous post. The 1% is when someone says "kick a$$ kilt" or that they have a kilt themselves and haven't seen anyone wear one, so they haven't worn their own kilt to school.

I also am fairly confident when I'm skirted/kilted. After all, I've been skirting since February 14th, 2002, and have been kilted since August 12th of the same year. Been about seven years of being in a skirt (of some sort) most, if not all, of the time. The other thing, is that, when I'm skirted, that's the only garment that's not normally seen on a guy that I'm wearing. Everything else is male (except for the knee-high socks, sometimes). In other words, I kiltify whatever skirt I'm wearing.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

I went to the grocery store on Thursday and was, as usual, wearing a skirt. I happened to see a former neighbor of mine who couldn't resist asking about my "unusual clothing." I said I did it because I felt like it. When he asked, "don't people make comments about it?" I said it had been at least a month since anyone had said anything. Actually, I think the last time someone commented was when I was at NEFFA back in April.

As others have said, I don't think it's because nobody notices. I think it's just that most people don't feel like getting into a discussion about it. Kilts lend themselves more easily to a passing comment, like, where are your bagpipes, but mostly people don't say anything.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

AMM wrote:I went to the grocery store on Thursday and was, as usual, wearing a skirt. I happened to see a former neighbor of mine who couldn't resist asking about my "unusual clothing." I said I did it because I felt like it. When he asked, "don't people make comments about it?" I said it had been at least a month since anyone had said anything.
What was the ultimate upshot of the conversation? Did your former neighbour think about the matter and come to a "that makes sense" moment, or was it all just in passing?
As others have said, I don't think it's because nobody notices. I think it's just that most people don't feel like getting into a discussion about it. Kilts lend themselves more easily to a passing comment, like, where are your bagpipes, but mostly people don't say anything.
I do not recall a single overtly negative instance I've experiences whilst wearing a skirt; from my recollection, when comments have been made they've either been from seemingly-sincere curiosity or have been positive compliments. Either way, I view those two scenarios as a "win"; whether it's possibly emboldening somebody already toying with the notion of something other than trousers or accepting praise, both are rewarding.

OK, I got a hard glare from somebody at the local liquor store today. So what. I was out and about on errands; I needed cash from the ATM, a splitting maul from the local hardware store, and a resupply of Bass Ale. The latter two enabled me to start splitting some of the wood that came down in last December's ice storm that ravaged our neighbourhood.

By the by, I spent a while splitting wood in the self-same outfit I was "out and about" in earlier -- an eggplant-coloured tiered skirt and a dress shirt that so closely matches the skirt that the entire ensemble looks like a dress. It's worth noting that I didn't get any grief whatsoever whilst I was carrying my newly-purchased maul.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kris
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kris »

crfriend wrote:It's worth noting that I didn't get any grief whatsoever whilst I was carrying my newly-purchased maul.
Hmmm...
I guess that explains why no one ever commented on my hiking kilt while I was carrying an ice-ax? :)

Kris