Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Big and Bashful »

Just had a rather uncomfortable couple of weeks, travelled out via Singapore, so hot and humid. Very strict rules and a tendency to lock people up for very little. Didn't see a single guy in a sarong or equivalent.
Then there was Diego Garcia, slightly cooler, a US military base, Pilipino contractors, nobody but nobody skirted, not male, not female. Cool compared to Singapore, mid thirties centigrade, the few rain showers were warm.
Then there was Bahrain, mid forties temperature, wind like a blast furnace, I stayed out of the heat, once we were leaving, the airport had many muslims in traditional wear, thobes I think and the women shrouded in cloth, then Dubai for a few hours then home.
I took a sarong and a skirt with me but ended up just using them to lounge in my room, not helped by my company, basically people who I work with and who outrank me.

A great experience but in those climates I wish I had been able to dress for comfort.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Nice to hear from you, B&B. I agree, it's difficult to move about much when the temp. tops 40 Centipede.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Big and Bashful wrote:...A great experience but in those climates I wish I had been able to dress for comfort.
That's the trouble with packing trousers on a trip.

Do you really think you'd have been arrested?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Caultron wrote:
Big and Bashful wrote:...A great experience but in those climates I wish I had been able to dress for comfort.
That's the trouble with packing trousers on a trip.

Do you really think you'd have been arrested?
I honestly don't know, a lot of things lead to arrest in Singapore, jay-walking, having or chewing gum amongst them. DG is just a military base, where many bars etc. do not allow sandals, flip-flops or shorts, so skirts on men? probably not!

Bahrain is a true muslim place, with a lot of political unrest, riots, kidnappings etc. so not a place to be different.

Dubai, only saw the airport.

On the way back I had been thinking about getting comfortable with my elkommando hiking kilt, unfortunately two weeks of over eating on DG has gotten all my clothing a bit on the tight side, the kilt was tight any way so I would have struggled to put it on.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Out and about the other night.
It was very very hot so I chucked the trousers almost instantly for my kilt liner ,way too hot for heavy kilts :( the kilt liner is actually a skirt. I wear a light weight navy blue jersey knit elastic waistbanded skirt under my traditional kilts to cut down on the amount of sweat and skin oils being absorbed into my kilt. It's about 18 inches long. So I stopped for gas (something older members recommend to the new to wearing skirts) or the timid, namely me. At first it was very refreshing in the heat of the evening. The gentle breeze felt so great! Then the breeze wasn't so gentle. While it did not billow up, it poofed way out to display it's ample A line form. The man at pump behind me fortunately did not see this take place. Till I finished filling my tank I kept my backside pressed against the car and a wider stance to try to minimize the billowing in the now percieved as 300 mile an hour wind gusts. I'm sure I was red faced as I got back into my car. The things I never thought I would have to worry about. It will go back to being used as a kilt liner.
That experience I guess you could say blew my confidence away. I guess it's payback for all the times I wanted to see the wind blow up some lady's skirt. I am Sticking to kilts and heavier longer skirts. You have not lived until you experience skirts from both sides, especially from the inside on a breezy night.
Last edited by mishawakaskirt on Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

mishawakaskirt wrote:The gentle breeze felt great! Then the breeze wasn't so gentle. While it did not billow up, it poofed way out to display it's ample A line form.
This is one of the little things that happens, and one of the little things we need to control so we don't get flustered when it happens. It's always worse with short full skirts, but almost anything other than an outright pencil is capable of turning into a sail.

As with sails, the key is being able to dump the wind when one needs to, and whilst in sailing it can be an important safety matter where dignity sometimes doesn't matter, with skirts it's best to use a deft hand. Usually one hand works, and can be either used to position the skirt so the wind naturally vents out of it or can be used to force the excess pressure out using a downwards motion. Either of these can work, and then it's down to positioning one's self to keep the thing from inflating again. Practise makes perfect, and a private back-yard is one of the best places to practise.
That experience I guess you could say blew my confidence away.
Don't let it get you down; it happens to everybody that wears a skirt a lot.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

mishawakaskirt wrote:.... The gentle breeze felt great! Then the breeze wasn't so gentle. While it did not billow up, it poofed way out to display it's ample A line form.
Standing downwind of a vehicle is the most likely reason for this to happen, there is a region where the airflow under the vehicle rises as it comes out.

This kept happening to me when I was loading my van. At first it seemed like Sod's Law that every time I had both hands full, the wind blew my skirt up; then I realised it always happened by the back doors of the van when I stepped forward to put stuff into it.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

mishawakaskirt wrote:...That experience I guess you could say blew my confidence away. Sticking to kilts and heavier longer skirts.
Consider this a learning experience but please don't let it affect your confidence.

Just, you know, don't wear a billowy skirt on a windy day again. Heavier fabrics can help, as can wearing a pencil skirt, and do take precautions against accidental exposure.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Filling stations can be terrible for draughts as the canopy tends to tunnel the airflow under it, increase the speed and the turbulence. On windy days it can feel like a gale under the canopy of our local Tesco filling station.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Pub tonight, delightful conversation with a very nice lady.
Subject skirt was nil, diary made the connection.
That's a hit in my book.
Right now, I seem to have become a local fixture/strange dude
Steve
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

I haven't been on this forum long, but I really like this place. I especially enjoy reading the stories of people who go out into the world whilst skirted. I'm new to this, and it is very encouraging when I am feeling doubtful.
kidme

Post by kidme »

And thus, I am on the road again. Travelled from Singapore via SFO to Denver. Wore a calf length pencil denim skirt all the way for 24 hours from my home to the hotel, travelled with my colleagues, superiors whom all see me first time skirted. No issues getting through TSA when I boarded the domestic flight. No extra checks. My presentation is 100% masculine, pretty sure quite afew stares and repeated looks to confirm they are not dreaming, I just shrug it off. Only one question from my colleague if I am more comfortable enroute wearing it.

I guess it is all what most mentioned - be confident and present yourself as a respectable fashion forward person.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

kidme wrote:And thus, I am on the road again. Travelled from Singapore via SFO to Denver. Wore a calf length pencil denim skirt all the way for 24 hours from my home to the hotel, travelled with my colleagues, superiors whom all see me first time skirted. No issues getting through TSA when I boarded the domestic flight. No extra checks. My presentation is 100% masculine, pretty sure quite afew stares and repeated looks to confirm they are not dreaming, I just shrug it off. Only one question from my colleague if I am more comfortable enroute wearing it.

I guess it is all what most mentioned - be confident and present yourself as a respectable fashion forward person.
^This ^

Best advice I've read so far. We're still guys, just that bit more comfortable :lol:
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Mercury wrote:I haven't been on this forum long, but I really like this place. I especially enjoy reading the stories of people who go out into the world whilst skirted. I'm new to this, and it is very encouraging when I am feeling doubtful.
Thanks, Mercury, that's what we're here for.

And you really can wear a skirt just about anywhere. Just be confident and friendly and anyone who notices you will react well.

caultron
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

On holiday last week, went to Orkney with the Mrs, her father and Son Three. FIL is used to seeing me in a skirt but I don't think he's a fan. I packed a load of skirts anyway, along with some shorts and trousers for variety relief for the family. Day one was mostly a car journey, so of course I chose a skirt, a fairly short A-line one in a tasteful shade of green. It's lovely and cool to wear in the heatwave we have been enjoying but maybe not the most obvious choice for a windy Scottish ferry deck in the cool of the evening at 59° North. So it took me a while to pluck up the courage to go out on deck. But when I did, I found that I neither froze my nuts nor exposed them to my fellow passengers, and all was well. And none of the family complained. Result!

I did wear shorts for three of the days, but 6 out of 9 ain't bad. So Homo Skirtensus has now been spotted at the neolithic remains of Skara Brae among other more recent constructions such as Tesco in Kirkwall. And as alluded to elsewhere, at the Ness of Brodgar archaeological dig, where 90% of the visitors were dressed for normal Orcadian weather, i.e. in jeans and waterproof coats, even though the temperature was quite possibly up at 60°F and the sun was nearly shining.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair