Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Faldaguy »

by Jim » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:53 pm

Kirbstone wrote: ↑Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:25 pm
Jim,
Re: hard physical work: I leave that to the staff and invited outside contractors nowadays. These days I just laze away the balmy afternoons out on the terrace sipping Pimms nr. 1 or pink gins.

Tom
How come I don't believe you, Tom?
Hey Jim, aren't you the guy that is always telling fish stories; whoever could think Tom might use a bit of blarney...oops, I meant pink gin! :D
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Ah, but Jim verifies his fishy tales with pics of great numbers of fish he has actually caught.

This old octogenarian great grandfather is perfectly entitled now to delegate strenuous tasks to the young bloods in his 'Dynasty' and concentrate on not spilling his pink gin ! It's much more therapeutic to drink it, after which the World takes on a rosy glow, believe me.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

A little "dating anniversary" dinner with Liz today at Cracker Barrel in Abingdon Virginia:
ms_cb2022.jpg
ms_bj_cd2022.jpg
And finally approximately twenty one years ago...

1333.jpg
A full head of hair and 120 lbs... imagine the outfits I could have rocked if times were a little different! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

Nice pictures. Don't we all say "if only".
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Congrats Moon, that’s awesome and great picts
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Great pics, Moon. I wish yourself & Liz many more happy years together. Yes, looking back at old photos, A/ how much hair we all had and B/ how skinny we were.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Congratulations and many more good times to come your way! :toast:
:thewave:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Thanks guys!
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Happy couple.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

I had to run to the post office to get some stamps and mail cards...the weather being chilly today I put on a regular SportKilt with the poly/rayon fabric Kelly tartan. Of course they were busy and the line to get to the counter was quite long, and I felt glances coming my way. :oops: The woman in line in next to me spoke up and said "I didn't know kilts had pockets!" and we had a nice chat about how you can get slash pockets added which is very convenient. She asked where she could get one for her husband. Not the first time someone's asked me that. My mood went from apprehensive to happy. :)
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:23 pm I had to run to the post office to get some stamps and mail cards...the weather being chilly today I put on a regular SportKilt with the poly/rayon fabric Kelly tartan. Of course they were busy and the line to get to the counter was quite long, and I felt glances coming my way. :oops: The woman in line in next to me spoke up and said "I didn't know kilts had pockets!" and we had a nice chat about how you can get slash pockets added which is very convenient. She asked where she could get one for her husband. Not the first time someone's asked me that. My mood went from apprehensive to happy. :)
That’s awesome! I’ve so few experiences walking around in a kilt but the times people stop you and comment like this just put you on cloud nine.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

ScotL wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:30 am That’s awesome! I’ve so few experiences walking around in a kilt but the times people stop you and comment like this just put you on cloud nine.
The kilts really seem to invite positive comments, don't they? I was fixing the headlight in my wife's car yesterday in a kilt and our mail carrier pulled up to the house to drop off a package (we have a really long driveway, back in the woods). She laughed and said "You always make my drive up here worthwhile." :lol:
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Today, when shopping grocery in a supermarket, a nice looking, woman in her fourties suddenly came up to me with her shopping cart:

"My compliments to the way you are dressed. You look so good!."

I had on a 5-yard wool kilt in Colquhoun tartan, black kilt socks, black sneakers and a dark blue Tommy Hilfiger windbreaker.

Almost like here
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

GerdG wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:10 pm I had on a 5-yard wool kilt in Colquhoun tartan, black kilt socks, black sneakers and a dark blue Tommy Hilfiger windbreaker.
That's a nice looking tartan!
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

I’ve had a few interesting encounters recently.

We have a big Christmas mail out at the beginning of December. A colleague who mostly works remotely travelled in to help and stayed the night with us. Because we had a concert coming up, I went out to my choir practice as usual, dressed in my plain black kilt (as usual). When I returned home and plonked myself down on the sofa, she looked at me, made a sound between a laugh and a snort and said, “what are you wearing?” “A kilt,” I replied and made some comment about comfort and freedom. Although she seemed a bit fazed by my clothing, she later emailed to say she looked forward to seeing me in my kilt when we all went out for lunch before Christmas. (Sadly, she was unwell and did not attend)

Our choir did a concert one Saturday morning in the Bethlem Royal Hospital nearby, where I do the Parkrun, kilted of course. This meant that I wore my kilt with my Christmas jumper for the concert. Apart from the usual question of my Scottish ancestry (none that I know of, but we discovered that my mum’s birth mother was Irish), all the comments were positive.

I reprised the showing, but with the woollen McKay Ancient tartan at a Sunday afternoon concert in a local Catholic Church with the same result.

On the day of the office lunch, I turned up in tartan kilt with Christmas jumper and was commended by at least two loyal Scots. One or two others commented positively in the office, but on the journey to and from the restaurant there was no obvious reaction.