Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Coder »

rivegauche wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:44 am
greenboots wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:29 pm Joined a local brass band and went in a polo shirt and my well-worn (and well-worn!) Tartanista Black Value kilt. Bandmaster greeted me with "he's wearing his frock", then repeated this when he introduced me. Not sure why he felt the need to highlight my fashion choice. Maybe there's some corporate or personal history
I have had the same remark when wearing a skirt. I pointed out that its was a skirt, not a dress. This guy - who had a female partner so no excuse - asked how he was supposed to know details like that about women's clothes. It is the ignorance about women rather than the ignorance about clothes I find shocking.
Was he being honest? It sounds like he was "embarrassed" that he'd know the difference between a skirt and dress, and in some sort of exercise of grade-school mentality denied knowing the difference? If not - wow - that's pretty bad!
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

Coder wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:02 am
rivegauche wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:44 am
greenboots wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:29 pm Joined a local brass band and went in a polo shirt and my well-worn (and well-worn!) Tartanista Black Value kilt. Bandmaster greeted me with "he's wearing his frock", then repeated this when he introduced me. Not sure why he felt the need to highlight my fashion choice. Maybe there's some corporate or personal history
I have had the same remark when wearing a skirt. I pointed out that its was a skirt, not a dress. This guy - who had a female partner so no excuse - asked how he was supposed to know details like that about women's clothes. It is the ignorance about women rather than the ignorance about clothes I find shocking.
Was he being honest? It sounds like he was "embarrassed" that he'd know the difference between a skirt and dress, and in some sort of exercise of grade-school mentality denied knowing the difference? If not - wow - that's pretty bad!
Entirely possible he knew more than he was letting on - but why deliberately get it wrong with the opening remark? He was fairly young, but most of the people I work with are not this insecure. On the other hand they are rarely this dense either, so who knows?
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

rivegauche wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:44 pm
Entirely possible he knew more than he was letting on - but why deliberately get it wrong with the opening remark? He was fairly young, but most of the people I work with are not this insecure. On the other hand they are rarely this dense either, so who knows?
If he was offered $1000 if he could tell the difference between a skirt and dress, he gets the money.

When his man card is feeling threatened by a guy in a skirt, he plays dumb to distance his manliness from “girly stuff”. Did he also burp after shotgunning a beer with one hand in his pants while watching monster truck pulls?
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

I would go for the simple ignorance. Both my brother and my father think that "long skirt = dress"
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

If they were given two garments, one long skirt and one dress, and had to choose, you think they’re really that ignorant that they couldn’t discern which was which?
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

A skirt hangs from the waist and is supported there. A dress hangs from the shoulders (on men). Ladies have a means of support a little lower down, (shoulderless designs). Men don't.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Not an out and about as such, but an interesting meeting

While relaxing in my house tonight, I noted some car lights.I thought to myself, my wife has returned from work.

The front doorbell rang. I thought, “she’s forgotten her keys”. So off I trotted, opened the door, only to be met by a woman who was delivering groceries from a supermarket (the Ocado delivery service). Well, that was a surprise. The fact that I was wearing a short grey skirt with barely black sheer tights (and a male polo shirt) seemed to have no impact on her as she threw about six full plastic bags of food at me.

This is not something that has happened to me before. It was a non-event. Nonetheless, I felt I wanted to share it with you.

No I know that it wasn’t my wife, I can go back to watching my last episode of AmazonPrime’s The Rings of Power…
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

I had about 3 hours of driving and a big loop of stops to make today: down towards Tampa to pick up some medicine, a long overdue visit to Costco, and a stop at my daughter's house to drop off some things before heading back home. I originally was going to wear my blue Sport Kilt but it does get a lot of attention and I decided to just go more subtle with a khaki Macabi knee-length and a dark polo shirt.

By the time I made my way 'round to Costco it was lunch hour on a Friday and very busy. I focused on completing my shopping and was in and around so many other people but I wasn't aware of any unusual reactions one way or another. The very heavily refrigerated room where they keep the fruit and veg and eggs was quite...refreshing. :lol: I stopped in at the "liquor cave" adjacent (for legal reasons it needs to have its own entrance) and then I did notice the liquor clerk kind of keeping an eye on me. Perhaps more concerned about shoplifting than my attire. :) We had a good chat about the bourbon selection when I checked out and the awkwardness went away quickly.

All in all a positive trip, as usual.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:53 pm
I stopped in at the "liquor cave" adjacent (for legal reasons it needs to have its own entrance) and then I did notice the liquor clerk kind of keeping an eye on me. Perhaps more concerned about shoplifting than my attire. :)
Funny you say that. I stopped in a drug store to get a battery and the clerk stood there with me catty corner. I wondered the same thing. She had a funny look on her face and was within two feet of me. Shoplifting or…
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

ScotL wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:48 am
I stopped in at the "liquor cave" adjacent (for legal reasons it needs to have its own entrance) and then I did notice the liquor clerk kind of keeping an eye on me. Perhaps more concerned about shoplifting than my attire. :)
Funny you say that. I stopped in a drug store to get a battery and the clerk stood there with me catty corner. I wondered the same thing. She had a funny look on her face and was within two feet of me. Shoplifting or…
To be fair, the pockets on the Macabi are large enough I could gave dropped a few bottles of booze in them. 8)
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:45 pm
ScotL wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:48 am
To be fair, the pockets on the Macabi are large enough I could gave dropped a few bottles of booze in them. 8)
Liquid courage
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ScotL wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:33 pmLiquid courage
Not whilst it's still in the bottle!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

crfriend wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:46 pm
ScotL wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:33 pmLiquid courage
Not whilst it's still in the bottle!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Well that was bracing!
I love being out in proper weather, i.e. blowing a gale, in a skirt I feel so much closer to nature than when cocooned in close fitting clothing. I could have done without the rain though! At least the temperature is still surprisingly mild for this time of year. I must admit there is a downside, once you get back and sit down, a wet skirt is wet (obviously) and cold! more so than the average pant or pair of!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Big and Bashful wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:49 pm I love being out in proper weather, i.e. blowing a gale, in a skirt I feel so much closer to nature than when cocooned in close fitting clothing.
Amen! We had a tropical storm pass right through my county a few days go, and I went out to check on things during a calm moment. Sure enough, I lost an oak tree that snapped off 12 feet off the ground. The light breeze and tropical air pulled in off the Gulf of Mexico was quite nice (living up to my username).