Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
hiddenheels

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by hiddenheels »

Been wearing skirts when possible. Between not (yet?) wearing them to work, my wife not accepting, there aren't a lot of chances, but I try to rack up an hour or two a week. Sometimes it's more and I'm out for hours during the day, but recently it's been on the low end.

A few days ago I went to the mall. Had some errands to run, and was looking for a specific type of skirt I saw on a girl a few days before that. It was like two skirts sewn together, half red and half black, looked really cool. So I thought I would look for some skater or goth stores or something, not really expecting anything.

Anyway, walked around the mall. Was wearing a black t-shirt, dark grey skirts and my dark work-shoes. Found one store that had all sorts of cool stuff, including some really awesome skirts, plaid, pleated, funky colours. I was like a kid in a candy store. :) And best of all, I found **exactly** the skirt I was looking for. I started looking for sizes, and found 3 skirts I couldn't resist. During this like 3 salespeople came up to me asking if I needed help. I finally asked one if I could try these on, and did. They fit perfectly, so I ended up buying them. Was not nervous at all, no one said anything. Was treated normal.

I'm realizing that this skirt thing is only a big deal because I'm making it out to be a big deal. No one cares. And if they do, then I don't! If only I could get my wife onboard...
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

This morning I set out on my Saturday morning shopping expedition to Tesco with a bottle green corduroy skirt under my kilt. the latter came off in the car, and I enjoyed the trip skirted. Arriving back on the drive outside the house, I suddenly realised I was still skirted. I could have gone back into the house like that, but I chickened out, quickly wrapping the kilt around me and buckling up.

I'm off to deliver chicken dinners later in the same outfit. What will be the outcome? Will I be brave when I get back? I don't know.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

So I went out as before, skirt under kilt [0] and also a cheap plastic poncho to keep off the rain. I collected my bags and loaded the car. Once I was behind the wheel, off came the kilt and I set out to complete the deliveries. One "customer" asked where the kilt was. Since he couldn't see the skirt under the poncho, I just said "in hiding today". Otherwise, there were no comments, as expected.

When I got home, I gathered up my bits from the car, including the folded up kilt, and entered the house, announcing my presence as usual. I took off my shoes at the door, hung the wet poncho over the back of a dining chair, and engaged my wife in conversation. We prepared and ate a light lunch together, chatting away, then got ready to go to the new St James Quarter in Edinburgh, partly to be nosey, and partly because we needed to locate some birthday presents for wee relatives. In all that time there was no comment about my attire.

Now I have to say that, although the skirt was in full view, my wife has a visual impairment, so I've no idea if she actually saw it. I also changed out of the skirt and back to the kilt for shopping, as I know she does not like to be seen in public with me when I am wearing a skirt. If she had not seen it in the house, I certainly did not want to deal with the fallout (immediate or delayed) of her noticing in the middle of a shopping centre.

Oh well, at least I've taken a step in the right direction.

[0] My wife knows the lady who organises the bags I deliver, and I don't want to risk any repercussions if comments are made.
marcb14

Post by marcb14 »

I'll give you a summary of my first weeks out in a skirt or kilt. I am 64 years old, I live in France and more precisely in Caen in Normandy. It had been a long time that I envied women when they walk happily in the street in their summer skirts and I told myself that I too would like to know the happiness of feeling the wind running under the skirt.
I had also followed several blogs of wearers of skirts who praised the comfort of these.

I am also sensitive to the gender free movement as well as to the transgressive and rebellious act of wearing a skirt in public space.
For all these reasons, and with the consent of my wife, I bought my first 2 skirts on a second-hand clothing store, a denim A-line skirt that reaches my knees as well as a rather khaki skirt. light in cotton, A-line skirt too, it looks like a hiking skirt. I also bought a black PV kilt, I would have preferred a tartan kilt but my wife preferred black and as they say in France "What a woman wants, God wants!"
I tamed the wearing of the skirt at home for a few days, I also conquered my wife's reluctance. I immediately felt the pleasure of being in a skirt and the irrepressible urge to go out to confront passers-by, my first outings were done alone.
So I went for a hike on a path by the sea not far from home, I met few people that day, I was on the lookout for sideways looks, smiles in the corner but nothing more ! Only well polite and smiling hello. A successful first outing in the world which encourages me to push the experience.
For my second outing and the following ones I went to malls and stores where I had little risk of meeting acquaintances, again everything went well, I was taking insurance, yes I am in a skirt , so what …
The following outings were made with my wife during the holidays, visits to museums, exhibitions, hikes, terrace cafes and even restaurants, no incidents and a growing pleasure to be in a skirt especially in public. I never forget that I am in a skirt, at least not yet, the passage of air around the legs reminds me of it constantly. I pay attention as I bend down and sit down, gestures that will undoubtedly become habits, perhaps even reflexes.
We are back from vacation, I wear a skirt whenever I am home and as much as possible when I go out.
Next week I'm going to take pictures all week, I'm a photographer, I'm going to take new photos for my future exhibitions, I fully intend to spend the week in a skirt, a great first! I will tell you what it was like when I got back.
Last edited by marcb14 on Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

It certainly sounds like you are well on your way, Marc, and bravo for that! It's especially wonderful to hear that your wife is on board with the idea, because usually that's what scuppers the notion for guys.

And, yes, it's very hard to beat basic black. That's even better than denim which is mostly a cop-out.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

I echo the above; great start and grand that you and your wife are on your way to freedom. Add those colors as soon as it feels good -- usually any new item takes a bit of time getting comfortable in -- I sometimes wear a new skirt about the house the first day, then out we go. Keep the good news coming, so many need your practical insight and encouragement -- professional pics will be a delightful bonus.
Pura vida,
marcb14

Post by marcb14 »

Yesterday, I was shopping at the supermarket, wearing a khaki (dark green) skirt in thick cotton reaching to the knee and a matching polo shirt.
An elderly couple was coming in front of me and I could see they were talking about me, they fell silent when they got to my level, the lady smiled at me and the man was looking at my skirt. Right after passing me, the lady said to her husband "He's right, it must be cooler like that".
I was happy with her reaction and this new experience.
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

marcb14 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:43 pm Next week I'm going to take pictures all week, I'm a photographer, I'm going to take new photos for my future exhibitions, I fully intend to spend the week in a skirt, a great first!
Me too!

I have found a few skirts from Purple Rain and Lighthearted Gear that have amazing pockets and make things easier for us photographers to carry equipment etc.

And I believe I am more creative while wearing a skirt!!!
KenCT

Post by KenCT »

I own a T-shirt dress and a sort of tank dress with 'extended shoulders' (as described by the online store) that I wear as nightshirts after rising in the morning (I sleep au naturel). I like the much wider choice of fabrics and styles of these garments, as compared to the gray sacks sold as men's nightshirts. Though I have been wearing skirts all sorts of places for several years now, I had never thought I would wear a dress in any public place.
Yesterday was the start of the first full week of school for our two granddaughters. They and our daughter have just moved in with us, having lived the last four years in Montréal. I wanted to surprise them with a little treat at breakfast. Dressing would have aroused suspicion, because I'm retired and don't get around to doing so until mid- to late-morning. My wife was still sleeping, but our daughter was already up with one of the girls. I told them I had something to do in the garage for a bit. And that's how I ended up cycling to the bakery in the tank dress (pictured, if I've done this right) for croissants and chocolatines. I had expected to feel quite self-conscious, but in fact it didn't seem any different than if I had been wearing a skirt or shorts. I don't expect I'll make a habit of this, but I was surprised to find it so easy a step to take.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by KenCT » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:41 pm
(pictured, if I've done this right)
a T-shirt dress and a sort of tank dress with 'extended shoulders' (as described by the online store)
Ken, the image did not open for me -- but I'm a techie Luddite so wait till the experts weigh in. Meantime, I'm curious about the brand and source of a tank dress "with extended shoulders". Having spent some years in Hawaii I find the Mumu attractive in style, weight, and color -- but fit is more problematic -- maybe you have a solution at hand!
KenCT

Post by KenCT »

Hi Faldaguy,
You might try right-clicking( or the equivalent for your device and browser; could be a dwell); if you get a choice to in a new tab or new window, that may work. In fact, it didn't show for me at first unless i used that method. The photo is in a Dropbox folder. Dropbox has two ways of sharing a link; I tried the simpler one. I guess next time I will try the more complicated one :?
I bought the 'extended shoulder' dress from Marshalls.com, the T-shirt dress from a brick-and-mortar store named Sierra, which has an online store at sierra.com. Both are discounters, selling overstock, odd-lots, last-season items, etc., and in fact both are owned by the same holding company, TJX. Sierra specializes in sportswear and 'activewear', which in women's clothing means stuff that to me looks unisex, which is what I prefer. Don't know if they will ship to your area...
FLMike

Post by FLMike »

KenCT wrote:
> Hi Faldaguy,
> You might try right-clicking( or the equivalent for your device and
> browser; could be a dwell); if you get a choice to in a new tab or new
> window, that may work. In fact, it didn't show for me at first unless i
> used that method. The photo is in a Dropbox folder. Dropbox has two ways of
> sharing a link; I tried the simpler one. I guess next time I will try the
> more complicated one :?
> I bought the 'extended shoulder' dress from Marshalls.com, the T-shirt
> dress from a brick-and-mortar store named Sierra, which has an online store
> at sierra.com. Both are discounters, selling overstock, odd-lots,
> last-season items, etc., and in fact both are owned by the same holding
> company, TJX. Sierra specializes in sportswear and 'activewear', which in
> women's clothing means stuff that to me looks unisex, which is what I
> prefer. Don't know if they will ship to your area...

There is nothing clickable in your post. The word image is in text like the rest of the statement.
Might want to try an alternative link.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The first time I saw nothing then the next day I saw a picture without doing anything. Now I see nothing again and nothing to click on.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I had an appointment at the dentist today to have a snapped front tooth's root removed. Dreaded it but the extraction wasn't as bad as I feared. My wife wasn't around so I slipped out ( and back in again ) in a light blue above knee cotton skirt, light blue capped sleeve T and white trainers. Of course nothing said at the dentists and she wasn't around to see me except when I was laid on the bed recovering. It was 20 degrees centipede out so I was nice, comfortable and cool.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Hi Dennis,

I do hope the loss of that root wasn't too traumatic for you. I like your description of your outfit. None so brave here and with our continuing warm if not very sunny weather a goodly proportion of males turn up in shorts.

Re: the root loss. In the upper arch by far the smallest teeth are the lateral incisors, between the centrals and the canines. These tend in older people to be heavily restored, root filled and/or crowned, so they have a tendency to split under load.

Enter the cylindrical implant. By far the most prevalent teeth to get replaced thus are the laterals and every week we see cases where we winkle the remnants of a lateral out, to be immediately replaced by a longer implant, ferrule and temporary crown, so the patient emerges from the building smiling at their adoring public !!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !