Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

My most recent weekend (long weekend, 3 days for a public holiday) I never wore pants. Nothing particularly out of the ordinary there.

I only recall one glance from anyone that was out of the ordinary, a girl, probably late teens with a "what the ...." expression on her face, but not another glance from here, we were waiting in a queue, I was with my wife.

The on Sunday afternoon I was at the local hardware mega store (Bunnings) and while waiting to pay for the bits I was getting, the gentleman behind me (I would say mid 50s) asked me if that was some sort of kilt I was wearing. It was a black utility kilt. I told him what it was and a little about it as he asked a few questions. He seemed genuinely interested, and his parting comment after I said that it was much cooler on a day like this (33 deg C), was "and I'll bet it's really comfortable too, I'm envious"..

That's the first time another guy has ever asked me anything, and from his parting comment, quite positive.

Everywhere else, as we all find, just treated completely normally as if nothing was out of the ordinary, one person I know that we met up with said with a smile "Oh, you're wearing your .... " as my wife caught her attention to say Hi.
One thing to note was that it wasn't so good down near the river on a warm humid afternoon. The lamok don't bother me, but the midges sure do...
Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Been on a couple of more trips recently out and about in a skirt and tights (pictures can be found on my pics and looks thread), didn't really notice anything out of the ordinary, felt like any other trip out.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Yes, I am finding that being out in a skirt can be such a non-event, which is as it should be. I go to all the blokey places like engineering supplies and builders supplies and never get as much as a second glance. I am sure it has alot to do with how one portrays oneself.
I went into a school yesterday to pick up some vertical mill parts I had tendered on, wearing a denim mini. I don't think I would have gone in a plaid, pleated skirt, although there is no particular uniform at that school.

Also yesterday I was on the top of a roof opposite the Police Station, fixing an air cooler, again in a mini skirt. That evening I had a shower and slipped into something cool and comfortable, a thin cotton floaty mini, then the owner of the air cooler rang to say it had stopped working again. I was curious to what the problem was as I was sure I had it sorted so I slipped on my roofing shoes and went up there without changing my clothes, it was near dusk and I used a head torch so I wasn't too worried about being exposed. When I arrived the lady looked down at my legs and said "They are flash shoes". I was sure she was going to comment on the skirt but I guess that the change of footwear was more unusual for me as I usually wear leather boots.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

In the last 2 weeks, been out and about with my wife in the city and down the road on the Gold Coast, no problems at all.
In the week before Christmas, an evening trip into the city to meet one of her friends, then to a Vietnamese restaurant, then to the Southbank parklands for a swim in the outdoor pools, followed by a walk into the city to see the Christmas lights and the projected cartoons on City Hall, followed by the reverse walk back to where we parked the car.

Then a couple of days ago went down to the Gold Coast to dip toes in the water at the beach, then for her to do some shopping...
No comments about the skirt, although one of the staff in one shop complemented me on my overall demeanour when I was patiently waiting for my wife to try on some clothes, which was a complete surprise. She seemed to suggest that I was one of the most calm and patient husbands that she has seen in the store.
We met some other friends that I had not seen in a couple of years there, and no comments about the skirt, just normal every day conversation on what's going on at the moment. Only comment received was from one of them who commented that I had long hair, whereas the last time we'd met them my hair was about 2mm long.

On New year's eve we had a friend over at our place, and after she had been here for a few hours, we went down so she could move her car as she was parked somewhere that she should not have, so I went down to find somewhere better for her to park, and walking back she all of a sudden asks "are you wearing a skirt" (black kilt at the time) to which I said "you could say that" before briefly telling her what it was. No further comments, seemed she was accepting as though it was completely normal from then on. Maybe I've opened her eyes a little.

All in all, I think I only saw one person take a very brief second glance
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Aberdeen City centre at around 14:00 local time, I experienced a rather surprising escapade.
For the first time in ages, I honestly don't recall when, I came in for some hassle which was cat calling and some extremely inane comments.
OK, so it can go with the territory but it was the source which actually surprised me and perhaps betrays some bias in my thinking?
Two of the campest, most effete males that I have ever encountered and they appeared to be set on a showdown.
I avoided it simply by slowing my pace and bade them good afternoon as they were forced into leaving me behind.
Alcohol may have been a factor and by the accents, English.
Nowt queerer than folk I guess but that was quite surreal.
FYI my rig was a suede knee length skirt, shoes and tights. Topped off with a duffle jacket and red beret, nothing extraordinary by my standards.
Any thoughts guys?
Steve.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:03 pm FYI my rig was a suede knee length skirt, shoes and tights. Topped off with a duffle jacket and red beret, nothing extraordinary by my standards.
Any thoughts guys?
Steve.
I would probably have asked which one was going to be Dolly tonight....and which one Shawn?

If it happens again, maybe go for a different colour beret. :lol:
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Forgot to post last Saturday’s outing. Set off early (ish) for Tesco in black casual kilt with white kilt socks, navy turtleneck and gray fair isle pattern sweater. As usual took a quick look at sale rail in F&F[1] and found ankle length grey cable knit skirt for £12. Risked size 12 as it was stretchy.

Also been looking at rare opportunities for a pair of warm boots with chunky soles. Picked up a faux suede pair with faux fur “lining” (two inches at the top, the rest scuba fabric) - cost £15.

Had to drop some stuff off to one of our congregation but took the opportunity afterwards for a quick change behind the wheel. Enjoyed a run up to Tranent and a brief spell dipping into shops for odd bits.

Returning home, I think it took a while for my wife to register what I was wearing. Later, she asked me to post a letter, then looked down at my lower half with a pained look and said, “unless you have something to do and would prefer that I go.” I let her go and got on with some other jobs.

[1]Tesco clothing section
Eborian
Distinguished Member

Post by Eborian »

Just been out to Wells to do some shopping. I was wearing a knee length denim skirt, black tights, black knee high boots and a grey coat.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I wear a kilt to church so often that, if I turn up in trousers, I may get queries from some of the older ladies about where my kilt is this week. Today I was in a Black Watch kilt (with navy blue football socks, mauve shirt, and black jacket), and had a long conversation about tartans over coffee. However, I think it will be a good while before I dare to wear anything other than a knee-length kilt to church. (I have worn the kilt to choir practice with knee-length black suede boots, and as I have also taken to nail varnish, I think the choir director was briefly in danger of apoplexy!)
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

I had to do some clean-up work at the property we're moving out of that's 2 hours away yesterday, and I was wearing my Black Watch weathered SportKilt hiking kilt because it's very light and comfortable for stuff like that, it's basically a really light skirt. I promised the Mrs. I'd stop at Costco on the way home and pick up some things we were out of. The store was fairly busy but nobody really paid me any attention that I was aware of, it felt great to be "out there" doing something normal. I was more aware than usual of the feel of the pleats moving behind me. At the checkout the woman packing the cart complimented me on it and asked where she could get one for her husband. :)
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Recently been to my brass band practice several times in utility kilt and either black kilt socks or opaque tights with a pair of faux suede boots with fur collar and fake laces at the back[0]. The members are well used to me by now and made no comment, even on the night I was a bit late and had to clamber along the first row of theatre seats to reach the trombone section.

On the other hand, out for a “training” walk in preparation for the Glasgow kilt walk, I was wearing too many layers up top with the Tartanista value kilt, black socks and DLX walking boots. Along by Morrisons Haven, as darkness fell, I passed a bunch of lads in trackies and hoodies. One gave a cheery “hello”, and as he passed another said, “love your skirt”.

[0] Not sure of the point!
Eborian
Distinguished Member

Post by Eborian »

I am out shopping in Well and Street today. Wearing a long denim skirt, black boots, green tights and a hoody.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

As noted above, in recent weeks I've often worn either the black Tartanista value kilt or the Union Kilts charcoal denim with either kilt socks or tights.

Although Monday was a working day, we had some private things to do as well. So instead of our official attire, I wore the Union kilt with black kilt socks and the F+F boots mentioned previously. I have worn these whilst wearing official attire (with trousers) as well as with skirts and kilts with no comment. Monday included a visit to one of our congregation members which lasted well over an hour. Because we were sat on sofas at right angles, she was at times looking directly at the boots, which would clearly be from the women's aisle, but no comment was made. I'm sure plenty of people must have seen them by now, but there have been no issues (which won't surprise anyone here).

On Wednesday evening, I decided to take things up a notch. I've never (knowingly) worn skirts in front of anyone I know. So I set off for my Spanish class in M&S check shirt and teal sweater, green cord miniskirt[1], black tights and the F+F boots. I was first to arrive at the restaurant and made my way to our designated table, in a corner of the basement. Hence, my arrival was not seen by either the tutor or the other guy there. No comment from the staff, if they even noticed. We passed an hour in conversación, they in ignorance of my lower half. The guy was first away from the table, but I continued chatting with the tutor as we put on our coats. I emerged from my corner and noted a slightly startled look as the skirt became visible, then farewells were exchanged. I encountered the guy in the gents but dipped into the cubicle before I was seen. However, he was paying at the desk for his coffee and chips (fries). I think there were some raised eyebrows, but we chatted as I paid, and bid each other farewell outside the door as we headed in different directions. Perhaps next week, there will be a new topic of conversation.

[1] I admit to hiding the skirt under a kilt to exit the house. MOH doesn't approve. However, as I called "goodbye" she was busy on her laptop and the dining table, and didn't come any nearer.

PS: I tried to post pics from both OneDrive and DropBox, as I don't have Flickr. But I just got the broken image symbol. Any ideas?
Paul

Post by Paul »

I’ve just home after a really nice 7 days skirted in Lanzarote , by skirted I mean wearing a sarong wrap skirt all day and every day. I attracted some attention and eyes on from the thousands of other holiday guests in and around the hotel but absolutely no negative comments from anyone. I even ventured out into the local town walking along the promenade again being passed by locals and other holidaymakers but apart from the odd double take or stare no negative comments were heard. It was so nice to be comfortable in wearing long wrap skirts, MOH also was very relaxed with me during this week and made no negative comments also. I think it’s only the fact that we were abroad and no one would recognise us that she was cool with it. When I say sarongs, I mean wrap skirts with ties/strings, I have bought over the years a great number of sarongs and adapted them by sewing ties on them instead of using the traditional way of wrapping the sides of the sarongs in a large knot, thereby converting them to wrap skirts. I have even got away with buying three purpose made wrap skirts from Amazon and passed them off as sarongs, I particularly loved wearing these, so sexy and smooth material. I now look forward to wearing them again around my home and garden this coming summer.
Always happy when wearing a skirt.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Paul, I've worn a sarong on virtually every holiday in the Canaries and have not noted any reaction. I found the sarong ( folded lengthways so as to be knee-length ) a quick and easy cover in putting on over swimming trunks. I don't knot them - I sort of roll the waistband to secure the skirt. Feels very insecure at first but once you get the hang of it you feel more confident.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.