Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by ScotL »

greenboots wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:02 pm
This cafe member has no problem identifying the kilt as a skirt. Call a spade, a spade.
I’ve no problem either. I was just amused and pleased that someone went straight for the generic term, even though a cursory inspection would tell him it was a kilt. Though to be fair, he sits about 15 feet away in the cornet section while I play trombone. So he may not get a good enough view to see apron and pleats.

The gentleman came to me after our Sunday morning service to check where I’d been offended by his mentioning my skirt. I told him no, and didn’t see the need to say more. It does suggest that if I got a bit more adventurous there would be no repercussions - except on the domestic front :(
Glad you answered his inquiry in the briefest “no.” I get the impression if you spoke more about it, it would work against you.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

A lovely experience yesterday, and in the office too.
My work brings me into contact with every person on the human spectrum some at a very difficult period in their lives.
I will say that, being a local lad this was inevitable.
A lady came to see me, regarding something troublesome. Obviously, I need some biographical details and some coincidences emerged.
It turned out we were in primary school together and it is certainly 50 years plus since I last spoke to her.
We reminisced a little and then I had someone else to deal with.
Her reaction to my skirt was utterly delightful. We parted with a very warm embrace , much to the surprise of some colleagues.
I can still feel the glow which that brought but I wonder how my skirt or dress would have been received all those years ago.
Anyway, as good a reason to be out, about, loud, and proud as I can think of.
The skirt was a burgundy mini teamed with grey tights and tan boots.
Steve.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Great to hear, Steve. I love hearing of encounters like this. Bet you were floating on air afterwards!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Ray wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:33 am Bet you were floating on air afterwards!
You bet right Rae.
Back then, she was one of the "cool kids" and immensely fanciable too.
Truth be told, she still is and not just for the looks, a nice person.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:36 pmBack then, she was one of the "cool kids" and immensely fanciable too.
Truth be told, she still is and not just for the looks, a nice person.
Nice! One of those rare gems. 'Tis a shame there are so few of them, it seems.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

This morning we had some business in Orpington, so ended up doing our food shop in the Sainsbury's behind the High Street. I had on my Union Kilts charcoal denim number[0]. As we passed a gentleman he asked, "Are you Scottish?", to which I answered, "No."

"Irish?"
"No."

Frankly, I wanted to get on with the shopping; it was already passed lunchtime, and I begin to get crabbit[1] when I'm hungry. But my wife engaged him in conversation, specifically about how we had each lived for a time in Dundee. Eventually, I joined in out of politeness. Anyway, on parting, he said, "good to see someone wearing a kilt."

I couldn't agree more! (Hopefully another step in easing spousal resistance)

[0] By the way, has anyone got a suggestion for keeping the pleats in order? The lines are there because they are sewn, but no matter how I press it, the fabric doesn't stay flat. I end up with some pleats curling over, whilst in other areas they open out so it looks like a flat panel with decorative piping. I like wearing it, but I think it looks a mess!
[1]The Scots will know what I mean.
K_Highlander

Post by K_Highlander »

"Crabit" aka "hangry"
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

So the other day, I was at Home Depot in an old Utilikilt. I was grabbing a few things, but didn't see exactly what I wanted. I spotted a guy stocking the racks of rebar down the isle, so I went over and asked.

He said something to the effect of, " is that a kilt? I didn't know those were still a thing!" He was already clearly excited. I said that you could still get them, but they tended to be a bit more expensive than pants, but that I thought they were worth it. He said a bit more including a "that's freaking awesome!" and did at some point tell me that no, he didn't think they had what I was looking for if it wasn't on the shelf where I had been.

While his excitement was somewhat over the top, and could have easily been borderline annoying, it was so genuine, I couldn't help but walk away with a bit more spring in my step!
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I'm not going to go the whole Mark Bryan, but I did venture out to my local supermarket in a rather short and narrow black faux-leather skirt (with a black jumper, tights, and overcoat, and knee-height ex-military boots). As usual, the sky did not fall.

Also this week, I spotted a guy in a red-brown leather kilt. Very much not your femme type: he was a fairly hefty bloke with many multicoloured tattoos.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I was driving across city and I saw a man in a medium brown kilt. Definitely a kilt as I noticed the back pleats. Wasn't in a position to stop, unfortunately.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

I had an errand to run down towards the big city and since I was driving an hour decided to get in a visit to Costco since it's been a while. I'd never been to this particular one and wasn't sure what the vibe of the area was like. Wore my Duluth casual dark almost-knee-length skirt (lots of pockets!) and a polo shirt, and it was a real non-event. The store was busy, I did my shopping for an hour, and that was it. It definitely blends in and I'm not pushing any fashion boundaries :lol: so I don't think anyone really cares to react to it. Quite nice!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:59 pm I had an errand to run down towards the big city and since I was driving an hour decided to get in a visit to Costco since it's been a while. I'd never been to this particular one and wasn't sure what the vibe of the area was like. Wore my Duluth casual dark almost-knee-length skirt (lots of pockets!) and a polo shirt, and it was a real non-event. The store was busy, I did my shopping for an hour, and that was it. It definitely blends in and I'm not pushing any fashion boundaries :lol: so I don't think anyone really cares to react to it. Quite nice!
This makes me wonder. I wore a kilt (definitely a kilt, ancient Ferguson) to my local grocery store and drug store and got three glowingly positive comments in under an hour. I wore a kilt like skirt (technically a kilt but is linen and looks more skirt like, google linen kilt and you’ll find it) on a plane in two busy airports and got nothing either. All told at least four hours in public.

Do people comment on the kilt cause it is for men but not the skirt cause it’s presence raises issues of transitioning?
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

ScotL wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:44 am

This makes me wonder. I wore a kilt (definitely a kilt, ancient Ferguson) to my local grocery store and drug store and got three glowingly positive comments in under an hour. I wore a kilt like skirt (technically a kilt but is linen and looks more skirt like, google linen kilt and you’ll find it) on a plane in two busy airports and got nothing either. All told at least four hours in public.

Do people comment on the kilt cause it is for men but not the skirt cause it’s presence raises issues of transitioning?
I think traditional tartan kilts stand out as what they are: a kilt, which is a known men’s garment. I own both utility and tartan kilts, but primarily wear StumpTown utility kilts. I don’t get a ton of comments for either style, but get more for the utility kilts probably just because I’ve worn them a lot more. Personally, I feel more self conscious when wearing tartan kilts with a sporran and kilt hose, etc. You definitely stand out, almost like you’re wearing a costume. People expect that you’re going to or have been to some Celtic event. STKs, while discernible to a knowledge eye as a kilt, could be mistaken as a skirt, which is perhaps why I like them. I’ve gotten most of my kilt complements while wearing them. One lady did say she liked my skirt. The take home message? Even though it’s not my personal experience, I think tartan kilts may be noticed more, and thus complimented more like a lady wearing a fancy dress versus something more mundane that doesn’t inspire as many glances.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Offkilter69 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:29 am
ScotL wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:44 am

I think traditional tartan kilts stand out as what they are: a kilt, which is a known men’s garment. I own both utility and tartan kilts, but primarily wear StumpTown utility kilts. I don’t get a ton of comments for either style, but get more for the utility kilts probably just because I’ve worn them a lot more. Personally, I feel more self conscious when wearing tartan kilts with a sporran and kilt hose, etc. You definitely stand out, almost like you’re wearing a costume. People expect that you’re going to or have been to some Celtic event. STKs, while discernible to a knowledge eye as a kilt, could be mistaken as a skirt, which is perhaps why I like them. I’ve gotten most of my kilt complements while wearing them. One lady did say she liked my skirt. The take home message? Even though it’s not my personal experience, I think tartan kilts may be noticed more, and thus complimented more like a lady wearing a fancy dress versus something more mundane that doesn’t inspire as many glances.
That’s an interesting and excellent point. Tartans kilts are akin to wearing a tux of sorts. So people notice. Whereas solid colored kilts or more plain skirts are just clothing. I mean in general, I am rarely complimented on my clothing outside of my colorful ties.

I’m sure it’s a little of both but you bring an interesting perspective. Thank you for that
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Offkilter69 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:29 am
ScotL wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:44 am Do people comment on the kilt cause it is for men but not the skirt cause it’s presence raises issues of transitioning?
Even though it’s not my personal experience, I think tartan kilts may be noticed more, and thus complimented more like a lady wearing a fancy dress versus something more mundane that doesn’t inspire as many glances.
I think this is exactly it. The kilt really stands out and it's a "costume" of sorts, it invites notice/comments.

What I usually wear is mundane, just swapping a rather forgettable skirt for shorts and keeping everything else the same. I don't think "transitioning" really enters the equation given the rest of my "outfit" is nothing unusual.