Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I bought an elastic waist plaid mini skirt on line and have been wearing it everywhere with no stares or comments and it is very comfortable. We went out to dinner and a movie last night. While at the restaurant I went to the restroom after ordering primarily to wash my hands, and then after paying our bill. I chose to walk a different way on each trip and was not noticed, stared at, or any comment or acknowlegement. For me at least, it feels like we have arrived. The skirt looks like a kilt and has pleats. I am calling it a "kilt". When we got home I ordered two more of the kilt/skirts. I'm hooked.

I discovered a way to not crush the pleats. Don't sit on them, just do what girls do and pull up the skirt in back and sit on my underwear. Another advantage of the kilt/skirt is enough fabric so that when sitting I am not worried about exposure. Even with my legs apart the fabric falls beween my legs, screening the view. Skirting is an adventure.
Last edited by Happy-N-Skirts on Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:I bought an elastic waist plaid mini skirt on line and have been wearing it everywhere with no stares or comments and it is very comfortable. We went out to dinner and a movie last night. While at the restaurant I went to the restroom after ordering primarily to wash my hands, and then after paying our bill. I chose to walk a different way on each trip and was not noticed, stared at, or any comment or acknowlegement. For me at least, it feels like we have arrived. The skirt looks like a kilt and has pleats. I am calling it a "kilt". When we got home I ordered two more of the kilt/skirts. I'm hooked.

I discovered a way to not crush the pleats. Don't sit on them, just do what girls do and pull up the skirt in back and sit on my underwear. Another advantage of the kilt/skirt is enough fabric so that when sitting I am not worried about exposure. Even with my legs abart the fabric falls beween my legs, screening the view. Skirting is an adventure.

I discovered a way to not crush the pleats. Don't sit on them, just do what girls do and pull up the skirt in back and sit on my underwear.

That can lead to some interesting problems unintended exposure and sanitary issues - not all that serious mind you.
With wool or acrylic material the pleats (folds of the fabric) are not really crushed just deformed briefly - cotton is another issue.

Consider doing what the girls do more commonly of sweeping the hand(s) across the butt smoothing the fabric folds (pleats) while beginning to sit down.
Probably not so easily done sitting in a booth or confined area. If not in a booth with an open area in front of you make sure you sit with legs together
if the skirt (kilt) hem is not long enough to drape in front shielding the crotch area - pulling the skirt (kilt) up in the back may reveal more than intended.
Also getting up from sitting failing to pull the skirt (kilt) down could be interesting.
I am sure you get the idea message here.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

Thank you R.M. Anderson,

I will definitely practice the suggestions you have given me. Thank for the tips.

Adventure today: As a wildlife photographer I am out and about in nature and wilderness once a week. Tuesday is the day my wife and her friends have music and singing. They rehearse songs and perform at open mic nights. I go out with my animals and open spaces. I have been wearing skirts on my trips for a few years. Ten years ago I bought two skirts to wear during recovery from an operation. I liked them so well that I continue wearing skirts and kilts as often as I can (almost every day).

I visited a national park today and started at the ranger station to pay my entrance fee. I got out of my vehicle and took out my litter bag and walked over to the trash receptical. I said "hi" to a couple of people and went in to the ranger station to pay, receive a map, and look at the exhibits and souviners. I also bought a tee shirt. I used the rest room, and calmly walked out and down the sidewalk to the parking lot and got in my vehicle, and left. I had seen and been seen by at least 25 people and interacted with at least six of them. I didn't see one person staring, pointing, or whispering. I can make some assumptions about it, which would be they were all nice people and no rude ones. Maybe men are intimidated or they envy me for having the guts to appear in public wearing a kilt. They had to notice me. I wasn't trying to be noticed, but rather went about my business like everyone else. Maybe men are afraid to look because they are worried about their masculinity and think I could be contagious and they would suddenly catch the urge to go and buy a couple of skirts and it would ruin their lives like an addiction.

I had fun.

Three of my wife's friends came over and I greeted them while wearing my new skirt. One of the ladies asked if was pattern was my family clan pattern. They all looked me over. I am now curious about what they were saying to my wife after they left.

Happy-N-Skirts
unfork

Post by unfork »

Strictly speaking I was not out and about, as I was home, but the world at large came to me so ....

I was wearing one my usual long denim skirts, which I often do at home whilst just chilling when a delivery arrived (expectedlly) and as soon as the business part of the delivery was done the delivery man told me how he liked my skirt and that it was exactly what he was looking for. Turns out he had a go at skirt wearing some time ago but somewhat gave up. He asked a few questions about what other skirts I had expecially summer ones. He left saying he must tell the wife and he was gonna get one.

Always expect the unexpected!
johnb
Member Extraordinaire

Post by johnb »

Last weekend I gave my Skirtcraft Aquarious skirt its first proper outing when I wore it to the Severn Valley Railway. No one passed any comments or, so far as I know spent any time staring at me.

John
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

johnb wrote:Last weekend I gave my Skirtcraft Aquarious skirt its first proper outing when I wore it to the Severn Valley Railway. No one passed any comments or, so far as I know spent any time staring at me.
John
Photos would be nice.. Both of you and the railway. :lol: :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tackleberry »

Well I’ve posted else where on here I went for a walk to test run a new skirt and knee high boots, passed a few people and as far as I know only got one “up and down” look....
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I haven't been wearing skirts to Sunday church services, but this weekend was a church retreat (when people dress more casually) and on Saturday evening I left on the skirt I'd worn all day. So for Sunday morning, when the retreat continued in the church basement, I wore the skirt again. I expect this was the first time some of the congregation had seen me in a skirt. Two women mentioned my shirt, a rare occurrence. Was this a way of them saying "I notice what you are wearing" without mentioning the skirt? The shirt was from our local thrift store and is a man's shirt made of silk that was by coincidence about the same color as my wife's shirt.

We learned a new song which included the theme of accepting one another. No one mentioned the skirt.

(At church I think I had the zipper better centered and had on men's brown moc-toed shoes, not these slippers.
DSCF4030s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Jim wrote:Two women mentioned my shirt, a rare occurrence. Was this a way of them saying "I notice what you are wearing" without mentioning the skirt? The shirt was from our local thrift store and is a man's shirt made of silk that was by coincidence about the same color as my wife's shirt.
This has happened to me several times. Now, in most cases the shirt in question is usually quite striking, but I too, question the motive of mentioning an unusual shirt, while saying nothing about an equally unusual choice of lower garment.
johnb
Member Extraordinaire

Post by johnb »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
johnb wrote:Last weekend I gave my Skirtcraft Aquarious skirt its first proper outing when I wore it to the Severn Valley Railway. No one passed any comments or, so far as I know spent any time staring at me.
John
Photos would be nice.. Both of you and the railway. :lol: :lol:
As requested. No selfies were taken on the day, so I the skirt shot was taken later. The skirt does crease very easily.

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

From the looks of things, you in the UK have a lot more main-line steam excursions than we do here in the US -- and I'm more than a bit envious. I've not seen a steam engine in operation ever on a main-line, and only a few times in captive, very short-line or tourist settings. What amazing and wonderful pieces of technology!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

johnb wrote:
Fred in Skirts wrote:Photos would be nice.. Both of you and the railway. :lol: :lol:
As requested. No selfies were taken on the day, so I the skirt shot was taken later. The skirt does crease very easily.
John
Nice skirt John.
The shots of the train are great as well. Thank you! :D :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote:From the looks of things, you in the UK have a lot more main-line steam excursions than we do here in the US -- and I'm more than a bit envious. I've not seen a steam engine in operation ever on a main-line, and only a few times in captive, very short-line or tourist settings. What amazing and wonderful pieces of technology!
Well we used to do it all of the time, steam on the main lines here in the south. But between DamnTrack, congress and the new management of the railroads steam on the main lines are almost gone the way of the goony bird. Add to that the environmentalists who scream because they mostly burn coal and "pollute" the air.
And with the loss of the people who can work on and rebuild these behemoths it becomes even harder. Steam railroading is becoming extinct. :cry: :cry: :( :(
KenCT

Post by KenCT »

Cool day today, 0 C (32° F), so I wore knee socks with a black denim pencil skirt and white sweater. Picked up a few items at the local hardware store just before closing. I was the only customer, and chatted for a while with the owner (I've been his customer for decades) about the weather, the wildfires in California (his son and my sister live in Southern California). I've only been wearing skirts around town for a couple of years, and still wear trousers sometimes as well, but I've been in the store fairly often in skirts. No one has ever remarked on that - New Englanders have a tradition of minding their own business.
A few weeks ago, when the weather was warmer, I was doing some light work around the house and property in a green denim mini (40 cm or 16 inches) and green T-shirt. My wife went off to a one-evening documentary-film festival, so I got my own supper. It got too late to change, so I went off to church choir practice in the same clothes, although the temperature was starting to drop. That was the first time any of those folks had seen me in a skirt. Before and after practice I chatted a while with a couple of longtime friends. The only remark related to my outfit was when one asked jokingly if I thought it was still summer (I was bare-legged and wearing sandals).
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

crfriend wrote:From the looks of things, you in the UK have a lot more main-line steam excursions than we do here in the US -- and I'm more than a bit envious. I've not seen a steam engine in operation ever on a main-line, and only a few times in captive, very short-line or tourist settings. What amazing and wonderful pieces of technology!
We do have a lot of main line excursions but the Severn Valley Railway is privately owned.  Because England is such a small country, the density of privately-owned steam-operated lines is relatively high; there are half a dozen near enough for me to visit as day trips.  My house looks down on the valley where the main London-Bristol line runs, it really cheers me up on occasions to look out of the back bedroom window and spot a plume of steam making its way along the valley or hear a distant whistle as an excursion returns during the evening.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.