Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by greenboots »

Since moving to London, I’ve almost exclusively worn one or other of my casual kilts except when in official garb (and occasional visits to MOH’s family).

We recently had a week in Cornwall. Very windy but not too wet. I travelled kilted and got a couple of compliments. Trousered some other days. But the best day was Wednesday when we translated ourselves from St Just to Lostwithiel. At breakfast our hostess remarked “Great kilt and great legs.” We paused at Truro Cathedral for coffee in the Common Grounds and met one of the clerical team (possibly a deaconess?) who complimented me on the kilt and said she was trying to persuade her husband to wear one. (Bear in mind this is a five-year-old value kilt from Tartanista that originally cost £22). I told her to keep trying.

Several other compliments have been passed since returning from holiday. Unfortunately I don’t think it will make much difference to the conversation around other un-bifurcated garments in our house.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

greenboots wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:36 pm Since moving to London, I’ve almost exclusively worn one or other of my casual kilts except when in official garb (and occasional visits to MOH’s family).

We recently had a week in Cornwall. Very windy but not too wet. I travelled kilted and got a couple of compliments. Trousered some other days. But the best day was Wednesday when we translated ourselves from St Just to Lostwithiel. At breakfast our hostess remarked “Great kilt and great legs.” We paused at Truro Cathedral for coffee in the Common Grounds and met one of the clerical team (possibly a deaconess?) who complimented me on the kilt and said she was trying to persuade her husband to wear one. (Bear in mind this is a five-year-old value kilt from Tartanista that originally cost £22). I told her to keep trying.

Several other compliments have been passed since returning from holiday. Unfortunately I don’t think it will make much difference to the conversation around other un-bifurcated garments in our house.
Great story! It always feels great when you get complemented and I’ve been complimented more in a kilt than anything outside of a tuxedo.

About the internal kilt versus skirt discussion, I think if you keep wearing the kilt, she’ll slowly come around. A kilt is nothing more than a specialized skirt. And one day someone else may raise this issue and you’ll quietly nod as it registers with her
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

This was not so good.
On a full bus, a female had decided that her sandwich bag needed a seat more than me.
The "discussion" led to another passenger making room for me.
On settling, sandwich lady noticed my attire.
"Is that a skirt", in a voice dripping with all the sarcasm she could summon.
"Yes", it was a dress, but I had no inclination to elucidate.
"Are you a man or woman", now she is getting offensive.
I indicated the beard, response "I don't know you"
Glad to say I don't "know" her either.
I am also glad to say that some other passengers were ready to round on her on my behalf too.
Point is that a good-natured response will not always be the way and turning the other cheek neither.
Some people just have to be made aware that if they step out of line, that they must expect consequences.
Steve.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

STEVIE wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:44 am This was not so good.
On a full bus, a female had decided that her sandwich bag needed a seat more than me.
<snip>
Some people just have to be made aware that if they step out of line, that they must expect consequences.
Steve.
That would leave a sour note in my mouth, I would struggle to stay polite, well I probably would bite back to be honest!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

How does one go about demanding a human give up their spot for a lunch bag? Did she purchase a ticket for it specifically? (yes, sarcasm - but I am kind of curious what she said as it would take a lot of gall)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:51 amHow does one go about demanding a human give up their spot for a lunch bag? Did she purchase a ticket for it specifically? (yes, sarcasm - but I am kind of curious what she said as it would take a lot of gall)
Just plain thoughtlessness and a sense of entitlement that's so pervasive in the modern world.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

My response to this "Karen" would be to say "Move it or lose it" and make like I am going to sit on it. If she still did not move it then sit down fast enough that she could not move it.
I do not suffer idiots or Karens.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I'm with Fred. I would just say that I am going to sit down and I don't care whether her sandwich box is under me or not but she might.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

The human brain is certainly a complex and wonderous thing. The other day I was waiting at the checkout with the usual 3 weeks supplies and there was a lady behind me with just a few items. I asked the young guy at the checkout to let her go first before starting my lot and then said to the lady "you can go first". Well she did but looked at me as if I was saying "you go and get fed to the lions first". Perhaps she was content watching me bend over the trolley in a mini skirt :)
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

On settling, sandwich lady noticed my attire.
"Is that a skirt", in a voice dripping with all the sarcasm she could summon.
"Yes", it was a dress, but I had no inclination to elucidate.
"Are you a man or woman", now she is getting offensive.
I indicated the beard, response "I don't know you"
Glad to say I don't "know" her either.
I am also glad to say that some other passengers were ready to round on her on my behalf too.
Point is that a good-natured response will not always be the way and turning the other cheek neither.
Steve.
I commuted in/out of London for five years. Trains get really packed. Quite often people pile their bags on the next seat to get themselves a little extra space. Upon discovery my response was always the same: "can I sit down please". Never phased as a question and I never had anyone refuse. One lady insisted I put her bags in the overhead. I did as she asked then I sat down.
As for the rude comment, I would be tempted to quote Freddie Mercury: "That thing between your legs, does it bite?"
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I spent the day doing dirty physical labor. I did some post-hole digging and putting in posts for a grape trellis, then worked on my car, then worked fixing a drain under the kitchen sink. I wore a long old faded black skirt, thread-bare in places, for the work. As any of you who have worked on plumbing know, it doesn't all go smoothly. The big nut that seals the sink drain to the sink broke so I headed into Ace Hardware to get a new one. As you can imagine, I was not all clean and neat by this time of the day and considered changing into some nice clothes, but I was in a hurry, and hardware stores must be used to working with dirty workmen. So I just headed to town, eight miles or so away. Checking out, the young woman cashier said, "I like your outfit." :shock:
DSCN3199cs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

We went to a Chinese restaurant last night. As I walked back from the buffet I heard a man softly say to his companion "Scottish."

Well, my skirt is plaid!
DSCN3205cs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Jim,
Re: hard physical work: I leave that to the staff and invited outside contractors nowadays. These days I just laze away the balmy afternoons out on the terrace sipping Pimms nr. 1 or pink gins.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Jim wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:07 am Checking out, the young woman cashier said, "I like your outfit." :shock:

DSCN3199cs.jpg
“I like your outfit” seems like code for “I love your confidence to dress differently”. Cause you’re a mess in that photo. Which is understandable as I’ve become similarly filthy doing plumbing. Filthy but rewarding work. Ive never done it in a skirt though and can imagine it’s harder to check your modesty. Hahaha
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Kirbstone wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:25 pm Jim,
Re: hard physical work: I leave that to the staff and invited outside contractors nowadays. These days I just laze away the balmy afternoons out on the terrace sipping Pimms nr. 1 or pink gins.

Tom
How come I don't believe you, Tom?