Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Kilty »

skirtyscot wrote:Bloody Hell, they don't half stare at you in Venice! I have never experienced anything like it. Bloody tourists! Bloody Italians! (And of course practically everyone is one or the other.)
It is against the law for a man to wear a skirt in Italy and you can be arrested for it... I googled it, and it is real... probably hence the stares :oops: it's hard to be graceful climbing out of a gondola nella gonna (in a skirt) as a guy... if your skirt is short they might glimpse your mutande (knickers) so be aware :wink:
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Well I suppose that could explain it. I had put it down to Italian machismo and plain old bad manners. But I don't accept Huff Post as a statement of the law, so please give me an authoritative source!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

As for flashing the mutande, not much danger of that. The weather is on the cool side, so collante are the order of the day.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

kilty wrote:...It is against the law for a man to wear a skirt in Italy and you can be arrested for it...
Huh? Didn't they ever watch any gladiator movies?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Two days plus an evening, and I haven't been arrested yet! This must be one of those really old laws that nobody bothers about any more (until it suits the authorities to blow the dust off it and round up a few undesirables).
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

skirtyscot wrote:Well I suppose that could explain it. I had put it down to Italian machismo and plain old bad manners. But I don't accept Huff Post as a statement of the law, so please give me an authoritative source!
I did check a couple of other sources first such as

https://www.italylogue.com/about-italy/ ... italy.html

http://www.stupidlaws.com/a-man-may-be- ... g-a-skirt/

I was dubious about some of these, as I am sure I have seen the Tartan Army on tour in Italy, but their fans seem fine in their kilts from pictures I have seen online. I think it's more the deliberate flashing that gets guys in trouble, but then a kilt is internationally recognised. It seem odd from the country where the Romans came from, but then there are stupid laws everywhere. Apparently London taxi drivers until recently had to carry a bale of hay in the boot / trunk for their horse... and you can't wear a suit of armour in Parliament :roll:
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Does wearing a 14" frayed denim mini skirt in a church count for anything?
It was a nice old sandstone building and I was there giving advice on stone masonry conservation (free of charge) for a heritage grant. The church has been deconsecrated, so I felt in no danger of being struck down by the wrath of some entity.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote:Does wearing a 14" frayed denim mini skirt in a church count for anything?
It was a nice old sandstone building and I was there giving advice on stone masonry conservation [and] deconsecrated, so I felt in no danger of being struck down by the wrath of some entity.
Why would some random deity strike one down for offering advice and assistance to the preservation of a structure dedicated to said deity? It makes no sense. But, then again, I don't "get" those vengeful spiteful little desert gods.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I have thought of a new phrase, akin to "Evil Eye" The "look" conveys a wish of utter and eternal damnation on the subject. The "looker" can be of any creed, gender or colour. Their age is likely to be 40 years plus. The phrasing, is likely to be paraphrased from any bigoted non denominational hate preacher that springs to mind.
I have mine and I'm sure you do too.
My soul rejoices to wish a jolly "Good Day", doff my hat and catch the reactions. Good fun to be had fully clothed.
On the plus, I have had so many positive and random conversations this last week, hey and they were not all even skirt related.
Steve.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

crfriend wrote: Why would some random deity strike one down for offering advice and assistance to the preservation of a structure dedicated to said deity? It makes no sense.
All I have to go on is the behaviour of their self-professed mortal representatives.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

I was invited to an art exhibition by a friend of mine. Her installation was themed around Autism and coincided with World Autism Awareness Week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Out running some errands . Dam its April 9th and we cant seem to get out of the low 40"s
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

SkirtsDad wrote:I was invited to an art exhibition by a friend of mine. Her installation was themed around Autism and coincided with World Autism Awareness Week.
Her exhibition made it to Sky News as well as a few other publications :-) https://twitter.com/deb_ireland/status/ ... 4855336962
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

skirtyscot wrote:
Daryl wrote: I just ignored him. My policy is to not acknowledge that I am doing anything that should be considered special.
Good plan. Ultimately that is what we want everyone to think. Indulging onlookers is counterproductive in the long run. Consider the lifted kilts of the barmen of Inverness, in an article discussed in another thread. The bosses should have played it with a dead bat (or should that be a dead caman?) and told the customers to leave the staff alone. No story for the papers, but better in the end.
............................................................................ ................................ ..............................................
I would like to precis my replies to this winding thread

With regard to Kilt Lifting .... On another website an American lady was reported to the police by a piper who was playing in a Bar.

The lady was convicted of being a Sex Pest and had to regularly report to the Authorities.

I feel that the use of cameras and mobile phones on Railway Stations and In Railway Trains is controlled by privacy rules issued by the

Railway Company. If a railway guard or conductor has to resolve a complaint regarding the conduct of a passenger , his first course of

action is to ask the offending party to leave his train at the next stop.
......................................................................................

There is a report on a third Kilt forum showing the tartan army in Rome on the day after the Recent Scottish International Rugby Match in Italy.

..................................................................................

The reference to the banning of men in skirts in Italy is written in English and not in Italian Legal Language.

There is no reference to Gentlemen who wear The Traditional Scottish Kilt ... .....................

I would be pleased to discuss this matter if anyone can clarify the Identity of the men in skirts who caused trouble in Italy.

There was a regulation in force which prevented Kilted Soldiers in the Scottish Highland Regiments assending the stairs and travelling on the

Upper deck of any Bus owned by the Edinburgh bus company. If there was no vacant seat on the lower deck, the soldiers had to get off the bus.

..........I leave you to guess why this regulation was enforced. ...................weeladdie
Feeling freedom
Distinguished Member

Post by Feeling freedom »

Did they ban women from going to the top deck in a skirt or kilt as well?
Personal style is important to me. Even when my outfits may contain skirts, tights and great ankle or riding length boots! I enjoy fashion and am excited to get in on the conversations with the like minded!