Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Uncle Al

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Uncle Al »

Another "function" of the zipper is allowing a narrow diameter opening
to go over a wider diameter opening. a.k.a. wide hips/narrow waist.
This even works on all types of skirts/tr**sers. I do prefer the zipper
to be in the front - typical 'male' attire. Helps to differentiate between
what/how a woman wears a skirt versus the male counterpart.

I do agree with Caultron that trying to use a front zip on a skirt when
in the bathroom becomes complicated and not functional. Just lift the
hem and get the job done.

In any case, with the zip closed the 'item' will not readily slip to the floor.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Uncle Al wrote:Another "function" of the zipper is allowing a narrow diameter opening
to go over a wider diameter opening. a.k.a. wide hips/narrow waist.
This even works on all types of skirts/tr**sers. I do prefer the zipper
to be in the front - typical 'male' attire. Helps to differentiate between
what/how a woman wears a skirt versus the male counterpart.

I do agree with Caultron that trying to use a front zip on a skirt when
in the bathroom becomes complicated and not functional. Just lift the
hem and get the job done.

In any case, with the zip closed the 'item' will not readily slip to the floor.

Uncle Al
Works best with an "A" frame skirt with a wide hem as opposed to the
Pencil type skirt with limited functional room.
With an elastic waist skirt this is a non zip issue.
Dresses require two hands (arms) to do the business at hand and it
better be skip }to{ the loo my darling if wearing a petticoat and other
encumbrance.
As long as there is functional room to perform the function without an
audience great - thinking back to a scene in the movie "Cabaret" !

Definitely not a case of one size fits all here !
Fitted clothing may not be fit for all functions in life.

As for pockets - if there are to be pockets I like the cargo type off the hips.
I prefer the cross (over the) shoulder bag moving the sporran type bag
from the front of the skirt/kilt to side.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Caultron wrote:
Jim wrote:Most of my skirts have the fly and pockets in the traditional placing for men. I like the pockets for my pocket knife, handkerchiefs, and keys. The fly is fairly irrelevant. Therefore the zipping habit continues, although I've never been perfect at remembering whatever I'm wearing on my lower half.
I find that fly zippers on shirts are never long enough to be functional in a male sort of way, and that pockets are often faux or unusably shallow. But if a skirt is loose enough and has usable pockets, I will use them.

But I have to say that in some five years of skirt wearing, I've never accidentally tried to go out of a skirt fly or lift the cuffs of my trousers. So perhaps my journey needs to continue.
:lol: Ive never attempted to use the fly on a jeans skirt either, just lift it, pull everything else down to my thighs and take care of business. Most times I will have a blouse or top tucked into my skirt, rendering using the fly useless, and most zips are too short for that anyway, but are just there to get the skirt on :wink: Generally it's the formal pencil skirts or dresses in the week, jeans skirts at weekends, but sitting to pee each time. It just comes with the territory of wearing unbifurcated garb :wink:
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

An amazing sight at my firms London office today. We have a floor full of meeting rooms. I came out of a meeting to see a partner say goodbye to a client by the lifts. I heard the client speak to him - clearly male, and on looking, I saw a chap, balding, early 60s. In a skirt. A grey pleated knee length skirt. Black opaque tights, male shoes. Bloody hell. I left the area and then - about a minute later, rushed back to see if I could spot him.

I couldn’t. Damn.

I was so excited!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Ray wrote:An amazing sight at my firms London office today. We have a floor full of meeting rooms. I came out of a meeting to see a partner say goodbye to a client by the lifts. I heard the client speak to him - clearly male, and on looking, I saw a chap, balding, early 60s. In a skirt. A grey pleated knee length skirt. Black opaque tights, male shoes. Bloody hell. I left the area and then - about a minute later, rushed back to see if I could spot him.

I couldn’t. Damn.

I was so excited!
So, we are not alone...
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

P10000261AAA.png
Today's outfit, went to the Supermarket, Fruit Shop, Coffee Shop and walked the dog, did not see any looks or any comments,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Ray wrote:An amazing sight at my firms London office today. We have a floor full of meeting rooms. I came out of a meeting to see a partner say goodbye to a client by the lifts. I heard the client speak to him - clearly male, and on looking, I saw a chap, balding, early 60s. In a skirt. A grey pleated knee length skirt. Black opaque tights, male shoes. Bloody hell. I left the area and then - about a minute later, rushed back to see if I could spot him.

I couldn’t. Damn.

I was so excited!
Damn, I wish I had a reason to be in London that day so I could see him!!!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I spoke to the receptionist about it today. Seems he’s a recently retired solicitor. I would love to have chatted with him.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Ray wrote: I heard the client speak to him - clearly male, and on looking, I saw a chap, balding, early 60s. In a skirt. A grey pleated knee length skirt.
There are likely potential members out there, who haven't heard of this site.
Jayce

Post by Jayce »

I met TWO men "Out and About" here in N.J. so far this year (2018). BACKGROUND: I rent an old WWI barracks at New Egypt Flea Market where I met both gentlemen. FIRST GUY--> he was walking down our main street wearing a green plaid Sport Kilt, I interrupted his stroll and shared with him pictures of my son's Celtic Wedding where all the males wore Kilts. Roughly, about three months later, the same guy walked into my shop wearing a woman's wrap-around denim skirt held in place, not by the buttons, but by an oversized black clamping style paper clip. When I queried him about wearing a skirt, not a Kilt, he responded somewhat like this: "Two reasons.....I gained weight and my Kilts are too tight ...SOOoo... I put a Kilt pin on the wrap skirt and I get by....BESIDES.... I got the denim skirt at a yard sale for a buck and it's easier to wash. NUMBER TWO: occurred yesterday, while I was putting chess sets and Coleman lanterns out on my front display racks, I noticed a man about 60+ years old wearing a white cowboy hat, black hiking boots, a short sleeve light blue button down shirt and a tan pleated skirt. He asked me for the price of a wood chess set and I asked him, "How come you're wearing a skirt?" He responded, "....'cause I like it." I immediately told him I wear Kilts as-often-as-possible and durable skirts when I'm working in the garden or on the house. He bought the chess set and we talked for about 20 minutes . I gave him info about this site.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Jayce wrote:NUMBER TWO: occurred yesterday, while I was putting chess sets and Coleman lanterns out on my front display racks, I noticed a man about 60+ years old wearing a white cowboy hat, black hiking boots, a short sleeve light blue button down shirt and a tan pleated skirt. He asked me for the price of a wood chess set and I asked him, "How come you're wearing a skirt?" He responded, "....'cause I like it." I immediately told him I wear Kilts as-often-as-possible and durable skirts when I'm working in the garden or on the house. He bought the chess set and we talked for about 20 minutes . I gave him info about this site.
I hope he visits us soon!!!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

kilty wrote:Aside from the denim skirts, all mine do up at the back.
All mine too except one experiment with a four-panel A skirt where I put the zipper between the front panel and the side panel. That worked out very well except I used inferior fabric and the skirt is now toast, but I think I will repeat it.

Having a zipper at the very front just to masculinise the look a bit seems excessively superfluous to me. (as do all the chrome snaps on the apron of a Utilikilt) If you make your own skirts it's also more work than simply using an existing seam as a location for a zipper. That's what I did with the above-mentioned skirt, and it did seem to say "this is a more masculine zipper location" even while not being in the usual male-trouser location. Perhaps that was only because no skirts at all ever have the zipper there, so the location is neutral, for the moment.

The straight/pencil skirts I make for myself have the zipper at the back because that's where their only seam is. The zipper mostly disappears anyway, and that is the goal. I've considered doing some visible-zipper designs, but that's actually more work than just making it disappear.
Daryl...
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Daryl wrote:....Perhaps that was only because no skirts at all ever have the zipper there, so the location is neutral, for the moment....
I don't know where you shop for clothes but I whole heartedly disagree with you.
I have 7 skirts, some denim, that have a front zipper & over-lapping material,
to conceal the zipper, just like a pair of pants.

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Uncle Al wrote:
Daryl wrote:....Perhaps that was only because no skirts at all ever have the zipper there, so the location is neutral, for the moment....
I don't know where you shop for clothes but I whole heartedly disagree with you.
Uncle Al
I also have several skirts with a front zipper with left over right overlapping cloth to hide it. They are not that scarce at all.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
Uncle Al wrote:
Uncle Al
I also have several skirts with a front zipper with left over right overlapping cloth to hide it. They are not that scarce at all.
Fred
Well, I stand corrected. I was mostly replying with what someone mentioned about the front zipper looking more masculine or normal in mind, and I think specifically in a denim skirt so the fly was in fact intended to be seen. Now I am being told that women's skirts often have an invisible fly in the front? Have I got that right? I might have carelessly used "zipper" and "fly" synonymously.

I don't buy skirts, generally speaking. I make them. But I am 64, married, had a few female friends in my life, and have never once seen an invisible fly on a skirt that wasn't either on the side or the back. Now you guys are gonna make me start looking at all the skirts when I'm in department stores. You're just having fun at my expense, right? :D
Daryl...