Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Kirbstone »

Good on you Dennis. We're level pegging in the Grandchildren stakes now.

We have absolutely no influence over the arrivals of course and perhaps you will have more in the fullness of Time. We/our offsprings have by now very definitely stopped with ages ranging from 22 down to 6. The older ones have already paired off, so we won't be totally surprised if a GGCh. arrives fairly soon.

Tom.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Thank you Alastair and Tom. There was a little snippet on our local news last night about gestational diabetes. My daughter has this and is hoping that it will go away now that the baby has arrived. The snippet said that those mothers with gestational diabetes are more either 3 or 5 times ( I didn't quite catch which ) more likely to have a stillborn. I must admit that the diabetic care that my daughter received was great and now I understand why they took such pains. They tested the baby's blood glucose and it was normal.

Yes, Alastair, I think MOH borders on the accepting. I say borders carefully because, although she will mostly say nowt, I just don't know what she's really thinking and how many bad points I am accumulating only to have to pay for those later.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Well today was a very good day as a friend of mine whom I've known since the late 60s and I decided to go to the Red Lobster for Coconut fried shrimp. He only wears pants and sport shirts but my skirts do not bother him at all. Well we went and had one of those days where I could have gone in naked as the day is long and no one would have noticed. The place was packed and it well after the lunch rush too. I was wearing a gray mid calf length A line knit skirt and a blue short sleeve blouse. Carrying a black shoulder bag with my phone and wallet.

We were seated in the main dinning room full of moms and their kids also a birthday party in the back of the room for some woman (she got the song and dance and a free piece of cake). I picked the skirt as the wind was blowing pretty strong and did not want to have to be worried some one might be offended by a glance of my under pinnings.

Just Another Day In Paradise!

If you need a place to live that doesn't worry about what you wear then Aiken South Carolina is the place to live. I have been skirted for almost 4 years and have yet to have a problem with any one.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Eborian
Distinguished Member

Post by Eborian »

Out this morning in Wells(Somerset). Wearing a long skirt with net tights and a white top. Also wearing a coat as it is slightly chilly.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Mid-60s outside today so I pushed the envelope a bit when I went out.....no pants. No skirt, either, and not a dress in sight. :shock:

Black leggings under a slightly too short tunic. Had to be on my toes when sitting, but doing the kiltie 'swoop and scoop' I was able to keep the rear smoothed out over the rear and have enough material to let it drop down in the middle to conceal anything that someone might find of interest while sitting. :roll:

Went to a client's office and did some web coding, Taco Bell for lunch and then went home and changed into a longish and sleeveless turtle-neck for church.

Overall, I prefer the turtleneck as it was slightly longer requiring slightly less attention to detail.

I still prefer the short, unbifurcated look. so am on lookout for charitable contributions in the micro, mini, and slightly longer than mini dress and skirt arena. :D
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I’ve had a lot of business to sort out lately and am in Wilmington a lot now. Today in a short purple Betabrand dress with a black sweater overtop, and black clogs. Had a weird encounter as a building materials delivery truck blocked me in, and I was standing around while the guy unloaded, then had to secure his piggyback forklift again. Had to sort out some internet issues with some short term rental apartments but appears necessary to have technicians back on site so I’ll be back there again tomorrow. Not sure if I will be skirted tomorrow since I may need to drive on to SC later.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

In Wilmington again and skirted, in a camo skirt, knee length, by Slick Jeans. I had more or less stopped shopping for skirts but happened across this one on the Nordstrom Rack website. The AT&T technician was cool about it, even remarked that he liked it, and I was glad he was young and apparently not a fundamentalist type. Once the net was operating at its snail-rated speed again, I headed to Flaming Amy’s Burrito Barn and picked up a couple specialty burritos for supper, since today is National Burrito Day. Bad timing I’d say, coming on the heels of National Cheesesteak Day like it does, but I’ll take any excuse to eat from Flaming Amy’s. I didn’t get a single look, but, in there, an old fat man in a skirt is a scarcely strange sight relative to much of the staff and clientele.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 345069002/
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I went out for lunch yesterday wearing my Traditional Scottish Kilt, Argyle Jacket and black roll neck sweater
We have had a week of heavy April showers this year....the weather might improve in a week or so...
We are getting a cold wind down to 9 or 10 C., ........... coming in under the higher cloud cover....
The sun is now warming the ground.................
The lassies are still wearing their wooly tights or black leggings under their skirts
The younger set are wearing shorter skirts this season, ..some schools packing up this week for Easter Holiday, here in S.W. Cornwall
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Guessing we will head to the Azalea Festival today, shortly, though the weather this morning is rather fugly. I’ll do the street fair in the same Slick Jeans camo skirt but with dark green Spanx tights underneath. I’ll take along a long skirt and nicer top for evening as it is not likely I can hit Wilmington with my wife in tow and escape without buying her a classy dinner out. I’m pleased Wilmington is able to have this annual event, as the city was left in tatters by Hurricane Florence and many families are still displaced from damaged or destroyed homes. The city is recovering; the outlying rural communities, not so much. Rural eastern N.C., like Puerto Rico, and like much of rural America, has been in a long economic decline for decades. Weather and environmental disasters only accelerate the downward slide. It’s time for progressive taxation on Big Carbon to defray some of this climate-exacerbated loss.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

This may or may not be the right place to post this, but I would like to report a sighting of a skirted man. I was in Brighton, UK, yesterday afternoon, and I saw a man in his 20s, with short hair wearing a black top, short black skirt, black opaque tights and black Doc Martens.

I was desperate to speak to him and compliment him on his attire, but the opportunity did not present itself. And less, he was quite happily chatting with a female friend in a coffee shop, without a care in the world. It was absolutely brilliant to see this.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

You could always try the thread "Sightings in the wild" which is handily pinned at the top of page 1 of "Skirts and kilts for men" forum.

It always makes me happy when a new post is made in that thread.* Each sighting marks a tiny step forward and I get vicarious pleasure from it.

*Provided it is on topic! Off-topic posts leave me a little crestfallen.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Yesterday and today out and about.
Saturday was a catalogue of disasters, proof positive of "Murphy's Law"! Every plan failed and I froze my butt off into the bargain.
Today, Sunday made it an awful lot better. No big compliments on the skirt and just as damn cold too.
Two delightful conversations and random acts of kindness restored my faith was all.
I shouldn't moan.
Steve.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

At the street fair for the Azalea Festival yesterday, Slick Jeans camo skirt as I had indicated, but it was much warmer in Wilmington, so I ditched the tights and was bare legged. We had intended to eat at the "Dockside", a bar by a marina just across the IW from Wrightsville Beach. But the place was overflowing, with a long line and no place to park, so we went to a nice Italian place near Landfall. I felt the camo wasn't right, and as usual I had a backup skirt or two in a bag. I changed to a long tie-died skirt by prAna and toe ring sandals instead of Keens, with a long-sleeved black tee by Eddie Bauer, a shirt of amazingly soft warm fabric. Anyway, things were fine, although a table full of folks near us seemed to have had one or three too many bottles of wine, and one lady there was cackling at anything and everything. I suspect one of the things that amused her was me, but I really couldn't hear what was being said over her shrieking laughter. But later, as I was paying the check and my wife had excused herself to the ladies room, one of the women - not the pie-eyed drunk one, but one apparently still coherent enough to make conversation - approached me and said "I wanted to ask you about your dress..." I didn't bother to tell her it was a skirt, just assumed she knew the difference. "I was wondering if you were dressed for some ritual reason, or what...I was just curious." At first I was ready to say "Yes. Satanists always meet on Saturday nights after dinner." But instead I just said "No, this is just how I dress." I offered nothing further. She began saying "Well, its a really good look. I love it. I mean it, I really love it, I just love it..." I just nodded, and luckily the waitress saved me from any further engagement with her. If I perceived her as sober, I might have been flattered, but their whole party, like six or seven, appeared smashed. Guess everyone will have a moment like that from time to time. Overall, it was a good day and a delicious supper.

We did miss the parade, however, as it starts a bit early for our leisurely pace. But the festival queen was interesting this year.
https://www.advocate.com/people/2019/4/ ... xSB9PcwSKo
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

Darryl wrote:Mid-60s outside today so I pushed the envelope a bit when I went out.....no pants. No skirt, either, and not a dress in sight. :shock:

Black leggings under a slightly too short tunic. Had to be on my toes when sitting, but doing the kiltie 'swoop and scoop' I was able to keep the rear smoothed out over the rear and have enough material to let it drop down in the middle to conceal anything that someone might find of interest while sitting. :roll:
Classic look! By the way, if you want to worry less about giving an impromptu anatomy lesson, I recommend the addition of what the the ballet supply shops call a "dance belt". It is the garment that allows guys to leap around under the "bright lights" with little more than 120den pantyhose on below the waist, and still be "family friendly". The full bottom ones are effectively a speedo, but with better moisture wicking capacity and are available in flesh-tone tan (i.e. no ghost image of your underwear if the leggings are really thin).

And good on keeping the zone concealed. I'd continue that even with a dance belt. It gives their imagination something to ponder.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Yesterday I was in downtown Wilmington in a tattered old denim skirt, completing a number of jobs on my list, which seems to grow longer at a rate beyond my personal ambition to perform the tasks. I was on 3rd St, the "main drag" through the lovely downtown, where we have a few properties managed as 'AirBnB' rentals. I had to perform some overdue grounds maintenance which consumed about three hours, mostly in full view of the traffic. Then met with plumbers for a water heater replacement in one unit, then to a paint store to get some specifically tinted interior paint for another condo, then drove nearly down to Carolina Beach to pick up a used porch rocker I was offered for free from a former client. The lady was not around, and her husband opened the door after a couple unanswered doorbell rings, having been indisposed when I arrived. He was about as freaked out as anyone I've seen, at a sweaty, dust-covered, hulking 6'3" fat guy - in a skirt - apparently stealing the rocker off his front porch. But after identifying myself, he remembered that I was scheduled to come for the chair. The conversation was brief, as I think he was foundered for words. But he handled the shock well. Sometimes facial expressions say more than words. I emailed his wife later and apologized for giving him a start.

Tomorrow I am heading to MD and PA to look at a dump truck and a CTL for use on the farm. I think it will be mostly a trousered trip, as I have to return via Lancaster SC where a surveyor is straightening out some unclear boundaries at the farm. Should put about another 1.5k miles on my old minivan, which is already over 200k. And at home I need to add a low bottom step to some porch stairs so my wife doesn't have a fall on the bricks, as well as finally give my lawn its first haircut of the spring. I'd love to spend a day at the beach, but that's not in the cards yet.