Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:Any techy people out there who can tell me how to automatically block any post that mentions Deuter-bloody-onomy?
I do not believe there is an easy way to do it "server-side" through individual settings (speaking as the techie who runs the show at the moment). Perhaps something client-side?

The upside of doing it client-side is that'd catch stuff from elsewhere than here.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Possibly have to run a proxy server, then have it scan for both the reference and the verse (in multiple translations) and either edit the datastream going to the end user or some other time-intensive process.

I'd also say: 1) censorship and 2) if you block all references successfully you may miss out on the translation that interprets it correctly. I am firmly of the opinion that it does not mean what most people think it means.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I think you may have missed my point, Darryl. I'm not interested in any interpretation of it, right, wrong or in between. I shall just have to continue to ignore it.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:I shall just have to continue to ignore it.
That's the easiest and, likely, most effective route. If somebody else's rule doesn't apply, it can be safely ignored.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Even if you could scan for the term Deuteronomy in any incoming test you'd also have to scan for possible shortened forms such as Deut or Deutnmy and so on. As an example, I speak from experience here as I have an ancestor with the name of Millership but pronounced Millichap. You would never believe how many different spellings of the name that occur in the Civil Indexes and elsewhere.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Out for dinner with the Mrs last night, in my denim kilt (which I really should post a pic of here but never get round to). I don't wear my casual kilts often, can't be bothered with all the pleats, especially as they don't hang very well - cheap thing from Pakistan. But I thought she would be OK with it, and sure enough, it failed to raise a wifely eyebrow. And it garnered a compliment from a fellow diner 8) , something the casual kilts do quite often but the skirts almost never do.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

skirtyscot wrote:I think you may have missed my point, Darryl. I'm not interested in any interpretation of it, right, wrong or in between. I shall just have to continue to ignore it.
Seconded. It’s a good barometer though. Anyone who quotes it is to be avoided - in my view anyway.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Ray wrote:
skirtyscot wrote:I think you may have missed my point, Darryl. I'm not interested in any interpretation of it, right, wrong or in between. I shall just have to continue to ignore it.
Seconded. It’s a good barometer though. Anyone who quotes it is to be avoided - in my view anyway.
Some of the chapters still make sense, including 22:1-4 but most are quite antiquated now. If someone quotes 22:5 to you, ask them if you should follow 20:12-16 as well if they refuse to make peace.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

No - I’ll probably ignore them. Anyone who quotes text to me from an ancient work of fiction isn’t going to get very far. Ignoring them is the most polite response.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

I just tell them about the two candidates for the most likely correct translation according to the rabbis - as a Jewish source is closer to the original and more likely to understand the nuances than a Roman Catholic translator or King James's translators (who paid a bit more attention to Jerome's work than they perhaps should have):

1. Men and women are not to dress as the opposite gender for purposes of going in among the other gender for purposes of adultery.

2. Men are not to dress as women in order to sneak out of camp to avoid battle, and women are not to take up the implements of the warrior.

Both can be argued. The majority opinion follows with #2 and a couple American theologians tend to agree, in that Jael might have done in General Sisera with a sword (and his may have been lying right there by his side), but instead she used a tent peg so as not to take up a warrior's weapon.

Of course, # 2 has repercussions for the ladies now serving in the IDF, but oh well....

Follow the above with quotes about G-d does not change, and that when kicking Adam and Eve out of the Garden he clothed them in k'toneth: long, shirt-like garments. Aka: dresses

Then watch their heads explode if they have any hint of intellectual honesty and commitment to rightly interpreting the scripture.

For references and details, please PM me.

I went to church this morning with a white long-sleeve turtleneck under a ribbed black sweater wearing a khaki knee-length skirt with a 4-button fly, belt and side pockets, flats and shoe socks. No one batted an eye.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Darryl wrote:I just tell them about the two candidates for the most likely correct translation according to the rabbis - as a Jewish source is closer to the original and more likely to understand the nuances than a Roman Catholic translator or King James's translators (who paid a bit more attention to Jerome's work than they perhaps should have):
1. Men and women are not to dress as the opposite gender for purposes of going in among the other gender for purposes of adultery.
2. Men are not to dress as women in order to sneak out of camp to avoid battle, and women are not to take up the implements of the warrior.
Both can be argued. The majority opinion follows with #2 and a couple American theologians tend to agree, in that Jael might have done in General Sisera with a sword (and his may have been lying right there by his side), but instead she used a tent peg so as not to take up a warrior's weapon.
Of course, # 2 has repercussions for the ladies now serving in the IDF, but oh well....
Follow the above with quotes about G-d does not change, and that when kicking Adam and Eve out of the Garden he clothed them in k'toneth: long, shirt-like garments. Aka: dresses
Then watch their heads explode if they have any hint of intellectual honesty and commitment to rightly interpreting the scripture.
I went to church this morning with a white long-sleeve turtleneck under a ribbed black sweater wearing a khaki knee-length skirt with a 4-button fly, belt and side pockets, flats and shoe socks. No one batted an eye.
and that when kicking Adam and Eve out of the Garden he clothed them in k'toneth: long, shirt-like garments. Aka: dresses

Gee all along I thought God left it to them to find suitable fig leaf coverage - after all when leaving the Garden it is a jungle out there !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

r.m.anderson wrote:
Darryl wrote:I just tell them about the two candidates for the most likely correct translation according to the rabbis - as a Jewish source is closer to the original and more likely to understand the nuances than a Roman Catholic translator or King James's translators (who paid a bit more attention to Jerome's work than they perhaps should have):
and that when kicking Adam and Eve out of the Garden he clothed them in k'toneth: long, shirt-like garments. Aka: dresses

Gee all along I thought God left it to them to find suitable fig leaf coverage - after all when leaving the Garden it is a jungle out there !
A number o years ago, the BBC had a nice cycle o documentaries, amongst other on this subject. The hypothesis was that menkind served E-T giants and tented the the garden, but that our predecessors were not allowed to have fun. Also the names fruits would be used as reference for bodily parts.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

There are many situations where roles swapped from gender depending on circumstances. During the 16/17th century women woud dress as men to go along on travels to the far east etc. In the Netherlands there is a song from that era concerning a girl being abay as she wanted to go sailing...

The laws pertaining to penalise wearing clothes of the other gender can be found all along, at times as religious rules, at times as civil or penal law. It depended on the system of government at the time and especially how the law giver claimed to obtain his authority. E.g. Egypt, kings which were devine, Jews worldly leaders which derived their powers from a devine spirit, the Romans with the tendency to copy the Egyptians (Ceasar had a devin status and was on the same footing as a God).

But I do think the best conclusion would be that even though many laws were put in place to block cross gender dressing, they were always to no avail in the end. And yes if people want to enforce the previously mentioned article, than we should start stoning adultery committing persons also and Christian women should wear scarfs with tassels again, etc. All or nothing.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Lots of typing, but still easy to ignore. :mrgreen:
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I have been talking about having more of my clients see me in a skirt.
I am taking another step tomorrow.

I called my client to set up a meeting for tomorrow.

He is Irish I asked him if he ever wore a kilt. He said no but wanted to know why I asked.

I told him my son bought me a kilt I told him it wasn't a clan type kilt but just a utility kilt.

He than said those are nice why don't you wear it when you come here tomorrow so I am going to.

This is what I plan to wear what do you think

tried to match the shoes to the belt not really thrilled with socks but I have nothing that matches better
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.