Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Grok »

:lol:
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Grok wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:30 pm Reviewed the Dress Shopping in Perth thread. A "mini pini dress" was linked to. "Pini" seems to be short for pinifor. So...how do you pronounce "pini" in this context?
Sorry, you've triggered my inner Word Nerd...!

Pinny is short for pinafore, but only in the original sense, meaning either an apron fastened for protection over a skirt or dress, especially one that includes a bib, or a child's sleeveless over-garment, used for the same purpose and tied at the back. I was certainly familiar with the word "pinny" in my youth, though I am not old enough to remember a time when, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, "children's pinafores were originally worn by both boys and girls". (It is quite literally a "pin-afore", a garment that is "pinned on the front of" a dress or, in the case of a boy, perhaps a trouser suit, a sailor suit, or, if very young, a dress.)

A pinafore dress (colloquially "pinafore" for short) is a dress designed in a similar style to a traditional pinafore, i.e. a sleeveless, collarless dress worn over a separate top (blouse or jumper=sweater); but I have never heard such as dress called a "pinny".
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

And of course we have HMS Pinafore, or The Lass that Loved a Sailor (W S Gilbert and Arthur Sullivan, 1878). Was the name of the warship in the title intended to hint that her crew were somewhat less than fiercely masculine? I've no idea.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

geron wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:33 pm And of course we have HMS Pinafore, or The Lass that Loved a Sailor (W S Gilbert and Arthur Sullivan, 1878). Was the name of the warship in the title intended to hint that her crew were somewhat less than fiercely masculine? I've no idea.
Good question. I think it is unikely to imply a lack of masculinity as such, and more likely to have implied childlike naivety. To be "in pinafores" was to be very young and inexperienced, without gender connotations. The HMS Pinafore is not a "girly" ship: it's a nursery or playroom ship.
Dungo

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Lar

Post by Dungo »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:10 pm
Grok wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:30 pm Reviewed the Dress Shopping in Perth thread. A "mini pini dress" was linked to. "Pini" seems to be short for pinifor. So...how do you pronounce "pini" in this context?
Sorry, you've triggered my inner Word Nerd...!

A pinafore dress (colloquially "pinafore" for short) is a dress designed in a similar style to a traditional pinafore, i.e. a sleeveless, collarless dress worn over a separate top (blouse or jumper=sweater); but I have never heard such as dress called a "pinny".
Lucy and Yak sell dresses using the term ‘Pini’, both their ‘Mini Pini’ and a longer version. In the past they have used male models for the longer version, but that seems to have disappeared currently. They have previously had male models in skirts too.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Jim wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:27 pm
Uncle Al wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:50 pm To my recollection, a jumper - in British English - is a sweater - in American English.
That's what I understand, also. In American English

jumper 2 of 2 noun (2)
2 : a sleeveless one-piece dress worn usually with a blouse
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/jumper
Yeah... I had never heard the term "pinafore" before I came to this site. They are called jumpers in the US. And the use of "jumper" to refer to a sweater was new to me as well. Very confusing.
lemac

Post by lemac »

New to skirtcafe. I live in Texas, in middle 70s have been wearing skirts out and about about two years.
Question? Why is this post dated March 2023 posted on page 219 rather than on page 1. It would be nice
to have the newest posts on page 1 and the oldest posts on page 219. What am I missing.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

lemac wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:11 pmWhy is this post dated March 2023 posted on page 219 rather than on page 1. It would be nice to have the newest posts on page 1 and the oldest posts on page 219. What am I missing.
Time in the real world flows from the past through the present and ultimately into the future, so that's the way that posts are presented. It might be possible to reverse the sort order, but that can cloud things under certain circumstances.

The shortcut icons here are your friends; for instance, the little bit of folded paper (in red on my display) takes you directly to the first post in a thread that you haven't read -- once the software "learns" what you've looked at.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

So tonight I dropped my wife at her tap dance class as usual and headed for my favourite diner. The waiter commented, “here comes my favourite Scotsman!” (I’m not, by the way, though there is some Irish blood in me)

Then he asked where I got the kilt from. I gave him a slip of paper with a couple of websites and he went away saying, “I think they look great on a man,” to which I replied, “so do I!”

Maybe in a week or two I shall see another kilted gent in Chislehurst.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

I recently made two purchases from The Scottish Kilt Company with money from my 60th birthday.

Heritage of Scotland 5 yard poly-viscose kilt https://www.thescotlandkiltcompany.co. ... f-scotland and dark khaki utility kilt https://www.thescotlandkiltcompany.co. ... ility-kilt.

For watching the coronation at home, I wore the Heritage with a white shirt, ecru kilt hose and my old Royal College of Science tie, which is black with white and purple stripes.

This week, the khaki utility saw two outings accompanied by a teal Nike t-shirt and rust coloured hoody from Next. On my feet I had some socks with thin hoops in a various shades of blue, olive green and khaki and my brown Rieker ankle boots (male).

The first outing was to choir practice on Monday evening, then Tuesday to the cafe mentioned above followed by band practice. The waiter at the cafe said he liked my new kilt. However, no evidence him buying one!

Wednesday evening we had dinner guests. I wore the Heritage kilt with kilt hose and a black shirt with narrow stripes shading from pink to purple. Thursday we went to a church social evening. I swapped the hose for black ankle socks with zigzag stripes in various shades of blue and purple edges in white, and black Cress boots from V.gan. https://vgan-life.com/collections/mens ... oots-black

If I get a bit of time, I’ll post photos (can’t do it very easily from my phone)
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I brought my wife to a medical appointment yesterday, then we noticed a yard sale and stopped by. The lady running in gave a little tug at the hem of my skirt and said, "nice kilt!"
DSCN3525cs.jpg
A Lee skort (8 Medium), modified to be a plain skirt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Jim wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:29 am I brought my wife to a medical appointment yesterday, then we noticed a yard sale and stopped by. The lady running it gave a little tug at the hem of my skirt and said, "nice kilt!"
Why is it people think they can touch you or pull on your clothes. If someone tries that with me I get very upset at them and let them know that touching me without my consent is not without harsh and possibly painful consequences.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I'm with Fred on this point.
What's more it is another example of double standards.
Any time it has happened to me the perp has been a female.
Now if I had been the offender, there would have been hell to pay.
For what it is worth it can be worse if one is wearing a kilt.
Steve.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I was going to say the same thing as Fred / Stevie. Very much a double standard.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I'm of mixed feelings. Yes, obviously an unjust double standard. But I wish friendly touches were acceptable all around unless someone indicated they didn't want it. I was able to take it as the friendly gesture that it was.