Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by greenboots »

Joined a local brass band and went in a polo shirt and my well-worn (and well-worn!) Tartanista Black Value kilt. Bandmaster greeted me with "he's wearing his frock", then repeated this when he introduced me. Not sure why he felt the need to highlight my fashion choice. Maybe there's some corporate or personal history.

No one else said anything.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Isn’t a frock a dress?
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Yes, usually. But I've been described as wearing a "dress" by the music director when in a plain kilt.

Next time maybe you can jump in first with "You're wearing pants...again!"
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:49 pmYes, usually. But I've been described as wearing a "dress" by the music director when in a plain kilt.
That's either ignorance or grief-giving. I'd rise above it.
Next time maybe you can jump in first with "You're wearing pants...again!"
That'd be a fun one to try. It'd be interesting to hear what happens.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
lithaborn

Post by lithaborn »

Had my first encounter with someone I knew from before I started wearing skirts yesterday.

Mini skirt, striped purple & black tights and low heeled ankle boots was the outfit of choice.

He was an acquaintance of my other half more than myself and neither of us had set eyes on him for 20 years up until a couple of months ago while he was working a stall at a craft fayre.

We went to the craft fayre again yesterday and while OH and the acquaintance caught up with gossip and conducted some business, me and adult child went to grab coffee. After they'd caught up I asked if he'd commented on my outfit and he'd said "if he's comfortable, that's fair enough".

Being a Saturday, it was rather busy in town and it's by far the most people I've been around while in "women's" clothes and while I didn't notice, my OH and kid picked up on some "ooer what's going on there" glances from men while the women in town largely would take a quick glance and think no more about it.

I chatted to a good few stallholders, shop assistants and cafe workers and to their credit, if they did have an opinion of the guy in stripey tights and pink lipstick, they certainly didn't let it show on their faces or detract from their friendliness while interacting with me. Their demeanour was universally as if nothing was out of the ordinary. I was just another person to them.

I'll be honest, the whole experience yesterday of -at least on the surface - unfazed acceptance has given me a tremendous confidence boost.
Nunquam scienter normalis
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

These days there are lots of online interactions via online conferences.
At this conference you see doing their presentation, some [participate turn on their cameras so she can see you the participants are. She never puts any of the participant's cameras on the screen and very rarely will she turn on the participant's audio. We usually just type in our questions.

On Friday I was wearing Black Leather Shorts and a women's square neckline top with puffy short sleeves. The women hosting the conference stated Phat, were wearing the same top. Well, hers was Orange and tied in the back but from the front, they looked the same just in different colors.

Then on Saturday, in the same meeting group, I took a Bio Break, and when I returned from the restroom and sat down in my chair she ask Phat are you wearing a Pleated Skirt, Yes. And that was about it.

Can't say I can remember the last time someone said something about my Skirt/ Dress-wearing. I grew a beard when the first part of 2020 so there's no way I look like a "Crossdresser"

Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I had just got back home from some beer festival clean up work, I didn't skirt then, my favourite skater skirt would be a bit too open when working up a ladder. So I got home, changed back into the skirt,(lovely windy day, must go for a walk later!). I walked down to the road to look at the loch when someone from our hall committee turned up to collect my wine collection, me in my skater skirt, him not batting an eyelid. So that's it, another of my friends has now seen me in a skirt, that is my house also now free of alcohol. Good to get rid of temptation, it was a struggle on Saturday night once I got home from the festival, after drinking nothing but water all day I nearly caved in and had a bottle of wine but managed to resist.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Big and Bashful wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:42 am Good to get rid of temptation, it was a struggle on Saturday night once I got home from the festival, after drinking nothing but water all day I nearly caved in and had a bottle of wine but managed to resist.
Well done on both counts, they both get a hell of a lot easier in time.
Steve.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:49 pm
Big and Bashful wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:42 am Good to get rid of temptation, it was a struggle on Saturday night once I got home from the festival, after drinking nothing but water all day I nearly caved in and had a bottle of wine but managed to resist.
Well done on both counts, they both get a hell of a lot easier in time.
Steve.
Cheers Steve!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Vaeredil

Post by Vaeredil »

Out and about in Victoria, BC this summer in a plaid shirt I tailored myself to be less boxy, and this nice gathered/pleated black skirt from the thrift store. Took the photo myself with a self timer behind a bus stop in the local field.
https://ibb.co/0VZ8Wqt
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

That's a nice look: and tailoring your own shirts is a few steps beyond my level of confidence.
Vaeredil

Post by Vaeredil »

Myopic Bookworm wrote:
That's a nice look: and tailoring your own shirts is a few steps beyond my
level of confidence.
Thank you! I'm still learning on the tailoring but it makes a huge difference to my silhouette and that can make some skirts like way better than they would have otherwise. I'm just following YouTube tutorials, not too difficult honestly. Thrift stores are a great source of test material, especially as since you're tailoring it anyhow the fit isn't as important!
Pity

Post by Pity »

Yesterday's work outfit, comprising a bias-cut skirt from ASOS and a boat-neck top from Dorothy Perkins, with my usual ankle boots. I do love a boat-neck, I definitely think they help obfuscate the broadness of my shoulders.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Nice look. Seems to fit you and you it. I've got a couple of similar skirts, but not put them together as well -- keep cluing us in! :)
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

greenboots wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:29 pm Joined a local brass band and went in a polo shirt and my well-worn (and well-worn!) Tartanista Black Value kilt. Bandmaster greeted me with "he's wearing his frock", then repeated this when he introduced me. Not sure why he felt the need to highlight my fashion choice. Maybe there's some corporate or personal history
I have had the same remark when wearing a skirt. I pointed out that its was a skirt, not a dress. This guy - who had a female partner so no excuse - asked how he was supposed to know details like that about women's clothes. It is the ignorance about women rather than the ignorance about clothes I find shocking.