Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Sinned »

You look as if you have had a nice relaxing time. We all need it from time to time just to remain sane.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Well just been to the local hospital for a test, wearing one of my favourite skirts, light denim, from Style J, it is ankle length and as the denim is soft it moves nicely, just right for a wet and windy day in Scotland.
Nope, that didn't work, can't cut and paste an image from page to page in this here forum, never mind, it's on page something or other in my pics 'n' looks thread. Can't drag and drop either. #178 is the post.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Was in the UK last week and chickened out wearing a skirt there. My argument was "I don't know the area very well". Which is just ******** of course.

So for "punishment" I'm going to spend as much of the rest of the week skirted as possible. Starting with taking the Women UTL Urban Tactical Skirt for its longest test-drive yet: cycling (works pretty well), over an hour on public transport, nearly two hours in a shop interacting with staff and over an hour wandering the streets getting places.

I'm sure many people noticed (though probably less than I think) but nobody said anything. A given the temperatures here right now (~25C) the skirt made me feel noticeably cooler. Especially compared to the ridiculous temperatures last week in the UK.

It's really true that nobody cares. The most important part is to leave without taking any alternative clothing, so there is no alternative.
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

The UTL Urban Tactical Skirt do look good
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

We recently moved to London to take up a new role looking after the interests of retired ministers in our denomination. Since we are still on sabbatical (though several weeks have been absorbed in the moving process) I’ve spent much of the time in my black casual kilt. In the space of two weeks I had a number of affirmative looks (smiles, nods and the like) and FIVE direct positive comments[0].

Sadly, skirting opportunities will be almost nil. We live literally round the corner from our new boss, and several other colleagues from our HQ live in the area. Many more active and retired live near enough that we may encounter them on shopping or social outings. This in itself is enough to put my wife’s anxiety levels through the roof.

We’re also much more likely to visit or receive family, which is another area of anxiety.

However, I don’t intend giving up the kilt, and if we continue to get these crazy temperatures, I’ll be pushing for a sarong. After all, the weather man did say we should wear loose clothing.

[0]All of these were reported to my wife, in addition to the positive comments she heard on the Parkrun (which we walk!)

Edited to remove some personal information from a public thread.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

I was out in a 5.11 tactical "kilt," a T-shirt, and sandals. One of the guys working at the store I was in, stopped to ask me about my T-shirt! No comments on my lower half...
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

I had some fun this evening. after work I decided on a walk from the nearest seaside town, Largs, through the Kelburn Estate to Fairlie and back, around 6 miles. A few funny glances, but nothing unusual.

Halfway home I decided on fish and chips, so popped into the local...... to be faced with a very overweight bloke with long bleached hair and bigger boobs than Katie Price (think blonde Meat Loaf). I thought he was just a very ugly woman at first. Anyway, as I walked in his mouth dropped to the floor, then he gathered himself and said "skirt". I managed to hold the smirk in and replied "Aye, get yourself one to go with the hair and tits" to which everyone laughed, including him to be fair. After that he went on to have a conversation with the owner, but said cheerio as I left.

I usually think of the funny retort after the event, so pleased it came at the right time for once.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

greenboots wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:19 pm However, I don’t intend giving up the kilt,
Does your employer not have a house tartan? Opportunity?

It was good to see you at the Glagsow Kiltwalk too, hope all goes well in your new posting.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

rode_kater wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:48 pm Was in the UK last week and chickened out wearing a skirt there. My argument was "I don't know the area very well". Which is just ******** of course.
I was in the Derbyshire Peak District last month for a walking holiday with my wife, and was skirted (mainly my Purple Rain skirts) almost all the time. On only one day, when it was cool and rain threatened, did I resort to trousers, but I was back in a skirt that evening for dinner in the pub. I didn't know the area either, but there were no stares, no negative reactions.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Bodycon wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:44 pm
greenboots wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:19 pm However, I don’t intend giving up the kilt,
Does your employer not have a house tartan? Opportunity?

It was good to see you at the Glagsow Kiltwalk too, hope all goes well in your new posting.
Yes, a house tartan was designed and registered for a special anniversary around 35 years ago. Only one roll of cloth was made and that has been exhausted. Given the diminishing presence in Scotland, it’s unlikely any more will ever be produced.

I did the Glasgow KiltWalk in April, prior to moving south. Only the Aberdeen one to go. We’ll see what happens in the next couple of years.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

My personal challenge is going well. Yesterday I went in the urban tactical skirt, with my SO, to a nearby city to look at second hand book stores. The fact we were out together with me skirted is somewhat of a milestone for me. Involved plenty of public transport and walking through the streets, and frankly given the temperatures it was very comfortable indeed.

The only thing about the Urban Tactical Skirt is that it's just a tad too tight for cycling. It's ok if just going to the train station or the shops, but I wouldn't want to spend hours cycling in it.

Today I wore a straight black cotton A-line about knee-length skirt to another second hand shop where I picked the second season of Foyle's War on DVD for €2.50. Afterwards I went past the local supermarket for some things. This is much nicer for cycling distances in (gotta watch the wind though :D).

I'm getting kinda used to the whole thing and adopted an "I don't care who sees me" attitude and it's working kinda nicely. Though so far nobody has actually said anything.

As for the coming week, they're predicting 38C for Tuesday, so I've reserved a desk in the air-conditioned office for that day. A skirt to the office is a bridge too far for now.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

I really like the look of that Urban Tactical Skirt. I need to lose a few inches in the waist before I can wear one though. :oops:

I've been wearing kilts and skirts non-stop as of late and it's feeling very normalized and my wife is used to it as well, even when we're out somewhere together. If we're having a contractor come over to the house to give an estimate or something I tend to wear something else, just because our area is pretty conservative and there's a lot of hateful stuff coming out of a certain media echo-chamber...I don't want my appearance to influence the cost of the job or anything.

Last week the county building inspector showed up a day early to inspect 3 sets of exterior doors we had installed as part of a remodel project. I was totally unprepared...doing yard work barefoot and wearing a brown Purple Rain skirt and t-shirt when he showed up. I needn't have worried, he was really nice and we chatted about the property we're fixing up and he signed off on the building permit after giving me some advice on a few things the contractor should come back and adjust. He even went back to his truck and printed up and annotated a few engineering diagrams to show to the door contractor.

The moral of the story is I should stop worrying and just be myself, something I'm usually very good at. :)
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

After a couple of nights without walking because of reluctant knees, tonight, a coolish windy night, I did the walking thing again, wore one of my skater skirts again. I was surprised how well behaved it was, walking just doesn't get more comfortable than that, if I ignore my knees that is! If only they had pockets!
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Mrs C and I went clothes shopping in Clarks Village at Street today and, for the first time, I actually enjoyed it. After reading the Dressing for Hot Weather thread I thought it was time to get myself a dress (I'll admit to a sneaky try on of one or two of the wife's dresses, but none of the patterns appealed - only the feel!). Because of the heat I'd been wearing a baggy Tee shirt style nightdress in the garden, and really enjoyed the feeling of wearing something loose that hung from the shoulders rather than from the waist.
We did the charity shops and I bought a knee-length cotton skirt and - a first for me - tried it on in the shop. We went to M&S and I found a linen shift which is very comfortable. Looking through the racks on the women's side of the aisle is another first for me, but by now I just didn't care what people might have thought at the sight of a man in a skirt looking for dresses.
Also, there was a group of 20-somethings doing the charity shop rounds, two men and two women. One of the guys was notable because he was wearing a beige ankle-length skirt. I wore an ankle-length dark blue skirt and, as usual, received no comments, good or bad. If fact, Mrs C got more complements about her hat.
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Tonight, my usual walk again, this time in my brown Incerunmen dress, jacket over the top because it looked like rain wasn't far away. For a change I did the walk in full daylight, and passed a few walkers. No comments just "evening" as we passed. Nice walk, shame about the knees!