Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Tackleberry »

Eborian wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:20 pm Out in the City of Wells this afternoon doing some shopping. Wearing black knee high boots, a long denim skirt, an orange top and orange tights and a yellow padded jacket. Had a good time browsing the shops and managed to buy myself a purse from a charity shop and a knee length yellow skirt from a shop called Mistral. Also did a food shop at Morrison’s
Not been to Wells for a while now and when I do it’s usually for work :o
My favourite shop there has shut down now - SuperBooks :cry:
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

Charlie wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:25 pm
Eborian wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:20 pm Out in the City of Wells this afternoon doing some shopping. Wearing black knee high boots, a long denim skirt, an orange top and orange tights and a yellow padded jacket. Had a good time browsing the shops and managed to buy myself a purse from a charity shop and a knee length yellow skirt from a shop called Mistral. Also did a food shop at Morrison’s
Nice to know there's at least two skirted men in Wells. I'm often out and about in an ankle-length denim skirt when cold, knee-length when the weather's a bit warmer. Did the Cathedral's 'High Parts' tour - climbing around in the roof space - in a knee-length skirt. Wife and I often have morning tea/coffee in the City Arms - both skirted of course, and I've bought several gypsy skirts from the colourful skirt stall in the market place, which I wear for folk dancing :D
Charlie
Wells is a beautiful city and I have often visited relatives there. Not been recently as they are not very accepting of my aging GSD. If things Chang’s I’ll keep an eye out. As it’s a small place there’s a good chance I’ll come across one or the other of you. I think they have mentioned seeing a skirted guy in neutral tones. My sister in law is not very empathetic
:roll:
Eborian
Distinguished Member

Post by Eborian »

I might be in Wells again soon because I have to pick up a book from Waterstones.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I’d never heard of Wells before - I’ve just checked on Wikipedia to see what it is and where it is. Looks interesting! I had no idea this place existed...
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

Wow! Such a small place is definitely punching above its weight for mentions in the cafe.
:roll:
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Ray wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:28 am I’d never heard of Wells before - I’ve just checked on Wikipedia to see what it is and where it is. Looks interesting! I had no idea this place existed...
Though small, it is one of England's ancient cathedral cities. If it were bigger, perhaps it wouldn't have had to share its bishop with Bath....
Freefrom

Post by Freefrom »

Just outside the city of Wells is the famous Glastonbury Tor.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glastonbury_Tor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

My younger son & family live in Wells a short walk from the Market street and Cathedral precinct. I have seen a skirted middle-aged bloke in Wells in company with other people a few years ago. Crowds, so no photo.
Being a musical nut I always make a point of looking in at the Catedral when I am there. If no concert, usually some sort of rehearsal is underway, entertaining in itself.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

As I was walking into Home Depot, a guy coming out said "Nice Kilt".
I thanked him and kept on walking. I was wearing a brown, gold, green
and black 'patch-work' skirt. The 'patches' were on a diagonal view, not
the straight, horizontal view as in a regular kilt. So, a nice compliment
from a Big-Box home repair store customer is always good to hear :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:05 pm Did anyone watch the LEGO contest on the TV last night???
Well I did and one of the male contestants was wearing a denim overall style dress. How ever while I applaud his fortitude for wearing a dress on TV, the rest of him left much to desire. His hair and the rest of him was just weird. If you saw it what did you think??
I’m going to hunt this one down. The episode finally hit one of the news sites I read (conservative) and the reaction was quite negative. And the comments section was just as depressing. I would really have loved to know how they would have reacted had his behavior been better - and perhaps a more normal overall experience. I’m hoping the series is streaming somewhere.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Did get a nice Utilikilt comment from someone this afternoon. Same person mentioned that he had the 32nd UK made... So, he predates my journey by at least 12 months or so.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:28 pm
Fred in Skirts wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:05 pm Did anyone watch the LEGO contest on the TV last night???
Well I did and one of the male contestants was wearing a denim overall style dress. How ever while I applaud his fortitude for wearing a dress on TV, the rest of him left much to desire. His hair and the rest of him was just weird. If you saw it what did you think??
I’m going to hunt this one down. The episode finally hit one of the news sites I read (conservative) and the reaction was quite negative. And the comments section was just as depressing. I would really have loved to know how they would have reacted had his behavior been better - and perhaps a more normal overall experience. I’m hoping the series is streaming somewhere.
Here ya go...

https://youtu.be/V2bfDrhybZc

One commenter wants to know "why is he in a dress?"

Anyone here care to enlighten this user?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:03 am
Coder wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:28 pm I’m going to hunt this one down. The episode finally hit one of the news sites I read (conservative) and the reaction was quite negative. And the comments section was just as depressing. I would really have loved to know how they would have reacted had his behavior been better - and perhaps a more normal overall experience. I’m hoping the series is streaming somewhere.
Here ya go...

https://youtu.be/V2bfDrhybZc
Thanks! Just got home, saved me some searching! Well, I guess it's on Hulu, but this clip gives me enough of his appearance to go one. Not a big fan of the hair, but, meh, that's just my taste. Will need to see some full episodes so I can be super judgmental :P

But what was up with the female judge? Wearing a suit jacket and mens pants? What a crossdresser. :D
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Coder wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:07 am But what was up with the female judge? Wearing a suit jacket and mens pants? What a crossdresser.
ha ha ha !! Kind of a good point. But seriously why wouldn't she wear a skirt suit at least? And definitely heels.
Here I am being judgemental... but I would just so wear the skirt and heels myself.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

nzfreestyler wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:19 am
Coder wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:07 am But what was up with the female judge? Wearing a suit jacket and mens pants? What a crossdresser.
ha ha ha !! Kind of a good point. But seriously why wouldn't she wear a skirt suit at least? And definitely heels.
Here I am being judgemental... but I would just so wear the skirt and heels myself.
EXACTLY what goes through my mind every day at work. Every day. But I also realize that if I were wearing skirts to work I would mix it up with jeans from time to time. But it would be a 90%/10% mix.

Though the show... I'm a big LEGO fan, and Will Arnett was great in the LEGO Movie and Arrested Development. So it should be good... loaded up the Fox Now app, watching the first. Ugh, it just rubs me the wrong way like every reality tv show does. Everybody is overly happy, and to some degree overly stylish. Hard for me to form an opinion outside of this disgust.

IMHO, the guy in the dress, first episode, not sure how I feel. Skirtall's bug me because my sister wore them as a kid, and it's hard for me not to associate them with children's clothing. The only people I can recall ever seeing wear them are: Urban Outfitters models, and fundamentalist Christian mothers (ankle length). I don't get out much :P I'm not judging him. I have too many bias's on this one.