Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by moonshadow »

denimini wrote:
moonshadow wrote:
Went into the Dollar General today to pick up a few things, was wearing one of my denim midi skirts.

A little girl, looked to be around 12 years old or so walked in and just stood there staring at me, jaw dropped, wide eyes... I could tell this was blowing her mind!
You did her a favour because she should be accustomed to more unusual things after 12 years. I once got the stunned mullet look from a boy about 6 years old, wide eyes and mouth open, which made me chuckle.
Shoot... I've had people of all ages give me the "stunned" look, from toddlers to social security age. :shock:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Skirts set on stun we don't want to kill them.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Fred in Skirts wrote:Skirts set on stun we don't want to kill them.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HA! Good one, Fred! :lol:
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

A very practical type of skirt and a good length for comfortable walking. I can't see if it has pockets, belt loops or zipper position - just interested because the combination of rear zip with belt loops and pockets is a good but rare combination
Its a front zipper 2 pockets front and back and belt loops .Its from Marks and Spencer although I bought it on ebay its really comfortable .
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

After the ditching of skirts mentioned in Personal Stories, I am reduced for the moment to one black value Tartanista. I've worn in it a few times on Monday morning walks to nearby Tranent, and other places. I've also been out with MOH several times, and on a cold day this week wore tights with it rather than long socks.

I have several times received the question on chilly days, "Aren't you cold in the kilt?" The answer is always, "No!" If you keep the body warm, the skirted garment functions as a thermal regulator.

Hopefully we can progress from the wearing of black kilt to other colours and possibly styles without too much friction. Time will tell.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

We’re in our guest apartment in Wilmington tonight, and I was out in the black hoodie travel dress from Betabrand just to help my wife bring some parcels from her car. We met a neighbor from a couple floors up as we went up the elevator. I just love studying how freaked out five-foot-whatever guys are upon encountering a six-foot three guy in a dress...
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

6FCF82D5-BF52-4965-B515-859ABA1C9942.jpeg
Out for dinner at “The District,” a restaurant about three blocks away, named for the neighborhood of our guest apartment, called the Brooklyn Arts District. (After a few hours of grounds maintenance at our rental duplexes and subsequent naps.) I wore a ruched tank dress, but since we were having a cool rain from the approaching tropical system, I put a sweater over it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I'd say that works well.

I hope it was a good evening out!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Participated in my first Parkrun this morning in my black kilt. Had one or two comments and questions:

“Do you wear it all the time?” (I wish!)
“Aren’t you cold in the kilt?” It was around 4C when we met at 09:30) Answer: “No! If you keep your torso warm, the legs act as a temperature regulator.”

At one point a volunteer was taking pictures on a phone and the friend who I was with [1] asked, “Did you get the kilt?” To which the volunteer replied, “I didn’t even notice it.”

Returned home and after coffee set about clearing a rather untidy side border in the garden, still kilted.

[1] I didn’t know until today that he did Parkrun. He walked it and I did a bit of running.
[2] upholding what we often say on SC. Another lady made the same comment at the start. My wife probably worries more about it than anyone else. Quiz night tonight will be in trousers.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

dillon wrote:
Out for dinner at “The District,” a restaurant about three blocks away, named for the neighborhood of our guest apartment, called the Brooklyn Arts District. (After a few hours of grounds maintenance at our rental duplexes and subsequent naps.) I wore a ruched tank dress, but since we were having a cool rain from the approaching tropical system, I put a sweater over it.
Did you drink heavily with your meal? You seem to be on your side in that last photo :mrgreen: Nice outfit :eye:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

new2skirts wrote:
dillon wrote:
Did you drink heavily with your meal? You seem to be on your side in that last photo :mrgreen: Nice outfit :eye:
My wife took the photo. But thank you for the comment. You made my list. (Guess which one.)
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Joining the rank of those who visit clinics skirted. I needed a massage for shoulder pain and put in a call as I set out on my weekly walk to Tranent. An appointment was available for 11am so I reversed directions for the 5 miles to Monktonhall. Enjoyed a 45 minute workout whilst wearing my black kilt. No comments one way or t'other. Now heading home for lunch.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

In the butcher's shop this morning, waiting while the lady in front of me was being served. I was wearing an ankle-length A-line denim skirt.
She turned to me and said she liked my skirt, and that it must be nice and warm. I replied that yes, it is, and its lovely to wear.
End of conversation, but left me with a nice feeling.
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Continuing the kilted outings, we (my wife and I) attended a local prayer meeting on Saturday. The host and his new wife both asked if I was going to a wedding (strange question as the kilt was clearly a cheap affair, and I was wearing woolly sweater and a parka against the cold, damp weather). Having clarified that it was not a special occasion, another member of the group asked if I wore a kilt all the time, which I do not. (I am expected to wear trousers for work, and sometimes I just fancy the warmth of corduroy or moleskin).

A third member said, "It's a shame more men don't wear the kilt." I mentioned the thermal regulation properties and another said, "The same must be true of skirts. I wonder why more women don't wear them. Come to think of it, I hardly ever do!"

I concurred with the view that skirts were sensible wear (although in the presence of my wife, I refrained from suggesting that maybe men should try them).

Slowly I am making kilt-wearing seem a normal part of life in East Lothian. Next I need to extend my range of kilts, and test the boundaries. Perhaps something to consider as Christmas and birthday approach.

Steven
steamman

Post by steamman »

First time i've been out in a skirt in ages today. Went to do some food shopping and wore a long black denim stretch skirt paired with 6 inch over the knee wedge boots, for which the combination was incredibly warm and felt awesome. The thing I love about wearing long boots is that you can pair them with skirts of any length. It reminded me how much i love wearing skirts and heels and how good it looks. As usual, an uneventful shopping trip. It did make me wonder though: with increased awareness and tolerance of transgender people in society, I wonder if people who saw me viewed me as being in that category? I don't really care to be honest, since if it makes it easier for more guys to wear what they like, then it's no bad thing!