Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Darryl »

Basically, I doubt anything was seen that shouldn't have been.

The closed umbrella was held horizontally, across the hemline, holding the skirt in position. As was stated.

The stormy, windy weather came in about four to six hours early and came up while I was already out. I hadn't thought there would be an issue. The umbrella was present because there is always an umbrella in the car and I thought it better to have an extended reach implement of needed.

I suspect her grin was twofold: 1. to see a man fighting to keep his skirt down in a wind gust, and 2. to see a man brazenly holding an object in front of his skirt while descending stairs to hold the skirt down and block an upskirt view. (I suspect, though I don't know, that the underlying half-slip would have made that slightly more difficult.)

Nor do I 'do' commando. Except maybe once or twice a year when it is 90+ in the shade. So far, no appreciable difference noted between the two modes.

I also note that even my full, traditional kilt has gotten a little antsy in the wind. Maybe I should wear a sporran in front of my skirts?

Todays outfit is a red UofL logo tshirt over an even shorter skirt - closer to the 12" length than the other's 15" - over leggings. And this one is a plain old straight skirt. To test its viability when doing more than standing up. The plan is to walk a trail in the park, go to my regular Chik-Fil-A (drive-thru or eat-in, depending) and back home.

And I should see the lady in question next week when I'm in her department, based on her name tag. Possibly, if she remembers me, offer to buy her and a friend lunch in the cafeteria at a time convenient to her, and ask for any comments, thoughts or opinions.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

oldsalt1 wrote:Jim what is acceptable behavior at a nudist colony is not acceptable behavior for out in a public "NON NUDIST " place

If a mother and daughter or grandfather and granddaughter were walking around in a nudist colony that's fine but it is not acceptable and in most places a crime to do it
out in the street.
Of course that's true most places, but not every state. I try to follow the laws. Accidental exposure is not criminal most places. I think people should have the freedom to wear pants, skirts, or neither but we're not there yet.

BTW, nudist "colony" is very outdated language. There are camps, resorts, and beaches.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

denimini wrote:
Darryl wrote:Well...today was one of those days......

Decided to wear a lightweight summer skater miniskirt....commando....a half-slip and a t-shirt.....................
..........Apparently some things happen only when leat expected and when the most mischief can be accomplished. :D
Well, that was tempting fate ............. and sounds like it delivered.

A HUGE canary-eating toothy grin would have been a worry in your situation :)
Yea, not good overall, luckily the lady seemed to enjoy your plight!

THAT is Why I always wear underwear under my kilts and skirts. It's too late when it's already happened. And well with the wind you never know when It's going to blow up :)

Glad your experience was found in humor, a different woman might have seen it differently, and called the police. I wouldn't want to get locked up while wearing a skirt. :shock:

I agree with the others in that we are trying to get men in skirts in a positive light. One instance intended or not can cause negative press for MIS.

We need to be above board in all things. People are looking for a way to invalidate, Ridicule, marginalize, stereotype us.
I did a very brief web search.
I found several negative instances in the web news. Examples are: Several stories about men in skirts or women's clothing robing banks. One report of a man in a kilt exposing himself. And another bonehead wearing a kilt and wielding a axe, inevitably got himself shot by police.

I'm sure there are more, with some digging.

So the boneheads abound and they drag MIS through the mud.

Ultimately making it harder for the decent minded MIS.

Let's be the best skirted ambassadors that we can be.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Daryll,
skirts can be too short and wind can be too harsh. And going commando under short skirts is, even on a calm day, a risky business. A passing-by car may be enough to lift a skirt that little too much. And if you had to take precautions bringing an umbrella with you, you were beforehand aware of the risk. I should in that case not have left the car, but have waited going to the department store, till I was more properly dressed.

But you were lucky that no one seems to have been offended. I shouldn’t invite the young lady on lunch. I’m afraid, it could send wrong signals. Consider the incident over and done with, but learn from it by being more careful in future.
And rather than having chosen an even shorter skirt for my next outing - whatever under it - I might have preferred a longer one or a kilt.

Just my thinking.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I think as long as one is wearing decent underwear, anything is OK because the worst case scenario would be no worse that the sight of a previous Australian PM wearing budgie smugglers while interviewed on National TV.
I try not to expose the slightest glimpse of underwear but I am not obsessed with it; there is a certain exhilaration wearing a short skirt in a strong wind :)

Don't be too hard on poor Darryl, we all make a bad call now and then.
Inviting the lady to lunch and asking her opinion, I would consider another bad call so I hope that the opportunity does not present itself.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

denimini wrote:I think as long as one is wearing decent underwear, anything is OK because the worst case scenario would be no worse that the sight of a previous Australian PM wearing budgie smugglers while interviewed on National TV.
I try not to expose the slightest glimpse of underwear but I am not obsessed with it; there is a certain exhilaration wearing a short skirt in a strong wind :)

Don't be too hard on poor Darryl, we all make a bad call now and then.
Inviting the lady to lunch and asking her opinion, I would consider another bad call so I hope that the opportunity does not present itself.
I've made poor judgements in the past with skirt slits too high, we all have wardrobe malfunctions from time to time.

It was nice being skirted today, on the hottest day of the year at 98F, in the heart of London. I felt very comfortable, and felt sorry for guys stuck with trousers :mrgreen:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Darryl,

Please.... man... and I mean this with all due respect... don't do that again.

I know Louisville is the progressive capital of Kentucky... but still.... KENTUCKY....

No but seriously, you're lucky you didn't get arrested. There are hoards of people across the land just itching to make an example out of a mishap like that and paint us all with the same brush of "perverted". Look at what happened to our friend in Valdosta.

Head a little further south (Tennessee) and you can be arrested for simply having a noticeable bulge. This is nothing to play with and the last place you want your name is on the sex offender registry.

I'm not trying to flame or harp on you but please... don't do that again.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Jim wrote:Accidental exposure is not criminal most places.
That's a grey area. The court will try to determine what is "accidental". Bear in mind that most people probably figure we (men) have no business being in a skirt to begin with.

Don't ask for a trial by jury on this one and hope you've got an open minded judge.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

It is probably best to err on the side of caution. Be somewhat discreet with your clothing choices.

I take Moon Shadow's warnings seriously.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I agree that accidental indecent exposure is most likely not a crime in many places. The extent of the crime would be based on what your intentions were.

But if I was running around in a short skirt and no draws. I don't think I would want to try to convince a judge what my intentions were.
Regular Guy

Post by Regular Guy »

moonshadow wrote:Darryl,

No but seriously, you're lucky you didn't get arrested. There are hoards of people across the land just itching to make an example out of a mishap like that and paint us all with the same brush of "perverted". Look at what happened to our friend in Valdosta.
Moon, what are you referring to in Valdosta?
RG
Just a ......‘Regular Guy’ .......Kilted or Skirted
Regular Guy

Post by Regular Guy »

dillon wrote:I've been at one of our properties in Wilmington, the one we are partly reserving for family and friends, though not quite ready...and been skirted consistently. Even out to friends who had no idea. They didn't react, but who knows what they think? All I can do is hope it didn't matter to them, which is a likely bet. My wife said she didn't care what I wore anymore...not sure if that is good or bad, but I've been skirted ever since, so her misfortune, I guess. I don't seek out deep discussions of feelings.
Dillon. I understand about the deep discussions. We don’t have them at my house either.

Last weekend, we went to the local theatre for a live performance. The venue holds about 5-600. Before leaving I was wondering what my wife was going to wear. Shorts, capris ? She walks out in a dress. Woo hoo she looked great. I said, Well, if you are wearing a dress, then I’m wearing my skirt from SkirtCraft. (Nice skirt Joe. Love the pockets). Off we went, nothing said about my attire. Black skirt and nice button down blue plaid shirt. I only observed a few double takes, no comments, but when leaving, we were standing in our row and the lady sitting behind and above us was abeam me while waiting for our row to empty. She looked and looked at my skirt, never said anything. We walked to the car amongst many other folks headed same park area.

But, we stopped for gas on the way home. There was another car on the other side of the pumps fueling at the same time. Never saw the guy, but after fueling I walked into the store for a quick purchase. When I got back in the car my wife asked ‘what did that guy say to you?’ No one said anything to me. She said she heard him say ‘that guy is wearing a skirt’. I replied, I wish he HAD said something. I would have told him my b@lls wouldn’t fit in his trousers. She didn’t get it and we dropped it there.

RG
Just a ......‘Regular Guy’ .......Kilted or Skirted
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Getting back on topic again.

I noticed that someone else here based in SE England was in London in a skirt yesterday on the hottest day of the year.

I too was in town to attend a couple of events.

Overall, the experience was good with a minor exception.

I was wearing my 4.11 "Tactical" kilt in grey. I had left my home and family that morning (they saw me in said kilt and were fine with me walking down my street to the local Tube station).

The first event, most people said nothing. One woman in a skort said I looked great and asked if it was a skirt (I said it was a kilt, but I could see her thinking and that kilts and skirts are essentially the same thing). She agreed with me that more men should wear what they like.

At the second event, two women pretty much said the same thing but asked why I was wearing my kilt. I said it was cooler than even shorts and with the temp about 37C I wanted to be as cool as possible. They were wearing trousers but wished they had put on skirts instead given the intense heat.

Lastly, I bumped into someone I've met quite a few times at various events. She asked me if I had borrowed a skirt from my wife! I said no, this was my skirt (kilt) and got on with talking to others about wine (this woman had interrupted my conversation with others to ask this!).

Can't win 'em all, but I feel I've won most yesterday.

P.S. Despite wearing a kilt, I still managed to feel too hot and bothered, but it did mitigate a lot of the effects from the heat.
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Regular Guy wrote:
moonshadow wrote:Darryl,

Moon, what are you referring to in Valdosta?
RG
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=19311&p=184455&hil ... ta#p184455

https://www.wbrc.com/story/37573004/man ... -accident/
-Andrea
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Today was much better. Put on a 15" black straight skirt over black leggings to get the car serviced, do a couple bank runs and grab lunch with some friends Top was a red turtleneck tanktop. Ho-hum responses. Just under 80 and not bad out.