Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Postby mskirt » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:47 pm

I’ve been out several times in the last couple of months. Once to Cripple Creek a few hours gambling. I wore a A line knee length brown corduroy skirt with black tights. Once to San Francisco just wondering about, blue jean skirt. But tomorrow, I’m going to shopping and a movie with my wife. I’m wearing my utility kilt with black ribbed tights. I always get so nervous before hand but not so bad once I’m in the thick of it. After thinking about “why should I care what anyone thinks “ it occurs to me that it’s because I have never liked being the center of attention. Thing is, this is so much fun it’s worth being out of my comfort zone.
mskirt
Member
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:36 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Postby Daryl » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:27 am

mskirt wrote:I’ve been out several times in the last couple of months. Once to Cripple Creek a few hours gambling. I wore a A line knee length brown corduroy skirt with black tights. Once to San Francisco just wondering about, blue jean skirt. But tomorrow, I’m going to shopping and a movie with my wife. I’m wearing my utility kilt with black ribbed tights. I always get so nervous before hand but not so bad once I’m in the thick of it. After thinking about “why should I care what anyone thinks “ it occurs to me that it’s because I have never liked being the center of attention. Thing is, this is so much fun it’s worth being out of my comfort zone.


I think this must be a very common experience for us. The fun of it overcomes some of the not-fun bits. I think all the "fun" isn't just the attention, though. There's lots of fashion alternatives that are just fun on their own, too. Cheerful colours and patterns, and different shapes, for example.
Daryl...
User avatar
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 932
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:25 am
Location: Toronto Canada

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Postby weeladdie18 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:59 am

The Skirt Café is an interesting mental education.
....Going out on the street is the result of planning ones "Skirt Outfit " for the day.
With years of experience the whole concept becomes just a different style of attire.
The world at large is too busy to concern itself with your attire.
The more one goes out and about, the more confident one will become as a "Man in a Skirt "
I was out on the street for the summer wearing my male attire with one of my summer skirts.
A comfortable way to dress in the warm weather. .............weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1167
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Postby STEVIE » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:04 pm

I have been in hospital for the past four weeks.
When fit enough I just had skirts to wear around the place.
No problem from anyone that I detected anyway.
I will be scheduled to go back soon too and I have no plans for trousers then neither.
Steve.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:01 pm
Location: North East Scotland.

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Postby Big and Bashful » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:15 pm

Today, a visit to the local hospital to get the gammiest of my knees X-rayed, decided to take the chance to wear a skirt so give them the easiest access, for the first time this year I dug out my ankle length cargo denim Midas skirt.
In and around the hospital, no comments, at all, didn't spot any significant looks, hardly a glance.
Next exiting episode, as my specs have been shedding screws recently I went to my optician to get a replacement screw andhopefully a larger replacement for the other one which had stripped and keeps working loose. Drove to where the optician was, it wasn't. I think it now sells furniture but didn't stop driving to check. Back to the nearest town to my house and found an optician, they fixed my specs, no charge and still no comments about my long denim skirt.
I had thought about going knee length but as the weather is kind of cool I went for the long option.
As always, the trip was a complete none event, my first skirting in public wor quite a while.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 2292
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:51 pm
Location: Scottish West Coast

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Postby Jim » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:02 am

A new one for me today, a few miles of cross-country skiing in a long white skirt. I was mostly on a snowmobile trail along a fairly busy road. Worked well and I stayed warm except for my fingertips.
User avatar
Jim
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 613
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:39 am

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Postby eightofnine » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:01 am

I've been on a caribbean cruise since saturday.Apart from formal night have worn a skirt its been great .I was going through securiry to get on the ship and the guy asked if i was irish nothing else has been said so far .
eightofnine
Active Member
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:48 pm
Location: liverpool

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Postby r.m.anderson » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:49 am

eightofnine wrote:I've been on a caribbean cruise since saturday.Apart from formal night have worn a skirt its been great .I was going through securiry to get on the ship and the guy asked if i was irish nothing else has been said so far .


Always - that - are you Scottish ? Instantly recognizing anything in plaid worn by a man is a kilt and therefore Scottish - to which I reply:

"Ya donna havta be Scottish to wear the kilt you can also be Irish" with the usual emphasis on the inflection of the language.

Recent New England Canada cruise on NCL lines worn a kilt everyday - some shorter than others - always a conversation starter.
While NCL does have a FreeStyle dress code I never have any problems wearing a kilt or skirted kilt in the more Smart Casual Dress Code
restaurants requiring men to be in pants with a collared shirt.
A few years back I was in a restaurant with a French flair (NCL calls it Le Bistro) and the Maitre 'D was impressed never had a kilt worn
in his restaurant - a pleasant surprise the wine serving was complimentary for all at the table.
It would seem that the only way to have bare legs at a (formal) restaurant is wearing a kilt (skirt) although on the Bermuda cruises Bermuda
shorts are OK.
When traveling by air to get to the cruise port almost invariably wearing a kilt - the only interesting thing here is the TSA inspection -
strange they don't consider a kilt pin as a weapon of mass destruction and had a pat down once at Boston airport and they sure were
delicate and undecided about what is behind the double aprons. More embarrassing for them than me - seeing them struggle with protocol ! LOL !
After a while getting on and off the ship going thru security - they just waive me thru the belt buckles straps kilt pins are not the droids they are looking for.
In Eastern Canada the kilt may not be as common but is known for what it is - the Western Canada and the USA is a mixed bag of what the devil
is that that you are wearing and the usual again are your Scottish (Irish) !
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
User avatar
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1857
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: Bloomington MN

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Postby partlyscot » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:38 am

r.m.anderson wrote:
Always - that - are you Scottish ? Instantly recognizing anything in plaid worn by a man is a kilt and therefore Scottish

Most people call my skirt a kilt, and the only plaid one is diagonal.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 674
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:05 pm

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Postby eightofnine » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:38 pm

Not long got home from my cruise ,it was great had to skip Key west due to bad weather but that happens we had an extra day in Cozumel instead ,then on to Belize and Costa Maya then back to Tampa .I went to chichen itza did some snorkeling relaxed a lot .Played some games around the ship ,tried shuffled board got the worst score -20 points yes minus 20 points .I did quite a few quizzes joined a good team we won quite a few,fabulous prizes such as pens and highlighters . I walked the whole ship talked with people went on shore excursions it was great ,i would like to find something more formal rather than taking a suit with me all the time I might look into a kilt or something . As on formals nights i'd wait till the last moment to change then have dinner once that was out the way change back into a skirt .

Image

Image
eightofnine
Active Member
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:48 pm
Location: liverpool

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Postby Fred in Skirts » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:59 pm

eightofnine wrote:I walked the whole ship talked with people went on shore excursions it was great ,i would like to find something more formal rather than taking a suit with me all the time I might look into a kilt or something . As on formals nights i'd wait till the last moment to change then have dinner once that was out the way change back into a skirt .


Why not just take a suit coat that is a match to one of your more formal skirts and wear that to the formal dinners. I have done that and it works too though not on a cruise. A friend of mine loves cruises, has told me that seems to be what others on his cruises have done. He also said he sees at least one man in a skirt on every cruise he has gone on. By the way he still has not tried skirting as his other half refuses to allow him to even think about it. (yes she is a _itch, I can not stand to even be around her. A very toxic person).
Fred :kiltdance:

:whistle: Hi I am Fred and I wear skirts and dresses all of the time. :hooray:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not"
Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
User avatar
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 2295
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:48 pm
Location: Southeast Corner of Aiken County, SC USA

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Postby Fred in Skirts » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:01 pm

Oh and by the way your pictures look great. Nice outfit and who is the fine individual beside you there??? :lol:
Fred :kiltdance:

:whistle: Hi I am Fred and I wear skirts and dresses all of the time. :hooray:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not"
Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
User avatar
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 2295
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:48 pm
Location: Southeast Corner of Aiken County, SC USA

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Postby Bikerkilt » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:57 am

When I went on a cruise for formal night I wore my black skirtcrafe skirt a nice shirt and had no troubles.
Bikerkilt
Active Member
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:32 am

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Postby weeladdie18 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:42 am

eightofnine wrote:Not long got home from my cruise ,it was great had to skip Key west due to bad weather but that happens we had an extra day in Cozumel instead ,then on to Belize and Costa Maya then back to Tampa .I went to chichen itza did some snorkeling relaxed a lot .Played some games around the ship ,tried shuffled board got the worst score -20 points yes minus 20 points .I did quite a few quizzes joined a good team we won quite a few,fabulous prizes such as pens and highlighters . I walked the whole ship talked with people went on shore excursions it was great ,i would like to find something more formal rather than taking a suit with me all the time I might look into a kilt or something . As on formals nights i'd wait till the last moment to change then have dinner once that was out the way change back into a skirt .

Image

Image


Well done sir ...I consider your photo of your outfit works successfully as a male outfit....This is a fine example of a way forward
for " The Men in Skirts in warm weather wear....." I would complete your outfit with a Male sports jacket with plenty of pockets if I was sure there were
no Pick Pockets About

I do feel the hem of your garment an acceptable above the knee length for male wear.......For evening and formal wear I would wear a below the knee skirt.

Please remember I am using your style of garment as an alternative new style of male wear.....

In your warm weather I would wear my Australian Style Full Brimmed Hat..............Weeladdie of S.W. U.K. Current Temp 7 C to 10 C
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1167
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Postby weeladdie18 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:05 am

Perhaps going off the thread ....would a Black Below the knee straight skirt work for dining in the evening....Was it Suit and tie ,...Black Tie...or shirt sleeve order ?.....

It is perhaps more important to know which cutlery to use to eat one's meal....than what a male is wearing below his waist.

I remember many years ago a skirt wearing male was banned from wearing shorts in the dining room of his Hotel.....so he was accepted in a suitable skirt...

This whole issue is re inventing a formal way of dressing as a man in a Skirt
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1167
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:17 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Skirts and Kilts for Men

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests