Ladies' skirts that should look good on men...

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
straightfairy
Member Extraordinaire

Ladies' skirts that should look good on men...

Post by straightfairy »

I'm thinking this thread could develop as a potential buying guide?
Post up the link/description of a skirt that you think the other guys on here will like, for the benefit of those in a position to buy.

Hence...
littlewoods.com - South combat skirt, 3 different styles, each one seems to have enough room for walking purposes and fairly 'manly' pockets and detailing.
I prefer the Cat no. EM82516. (the cheapest too at £15 )
straightfairy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Ladies' skirts that should look good on men...

Post by straightfairy »

And while I'm window shopping...

grattan.co.uk - stitch detail combat skirt, in black £29.36.
straightfairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by straightfairy »

And one for our USA friends...

summithut.com - women's rosa cargo skirt $58
straightfairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by straightfairy »

And while I'm still here...

Altrec.com (also US based) have a load of cargo type skirts. Interestingly, 9 of these were also in the men's section.. although the patterns were feminine on some)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Other styles can work well on guys, too, but a lot depends on body type and one's skin tone.

For instance, I have a few of the tiered "bohemian"-style skirts that work very well on me (I'm very tall and thin), three simple A-line velvet skirts (mid-calf length) that work well.

For simpler looks, I've "appropriated" a few of Sapphire's old plain heavy knit-cotton mid-calf skirts -- and those have pockets large enough to carry a wallet -- which are great; In fact, those were the first ones I actually screwed up the courage to venture forth into public wearing.

There are also a couple of Sapphire's older skirts (which no longer fit either of us, although Sapphire might be closing in faster than I am) that are calf-length on me (ankle-length on her) that are all-around pleated and look great on either of us. One is dark paisley and the other a subdued purple floral, and are perfectly believeable.

Four more are long-ish (again, calf length) silk skirts (one burgundy, one blue-green, one tan, and one cream) that look (and feel) devastatingly good that I use when I really want to "ramp things up a bit". These have pockets (deep ones, too!) that can carry light items (my wallet, if it's nearly empty now qualifies).

I also have an ankle-length burgundy skirt (too long for Sapphire) that looks great on as well. (No pockets, though.)

Finally, I have two homemade minis that occasionally get some public mileage; one is burgundy and one is white, both are about 17" and represent about as short as I have the guts to go "out and about". Interestingly, they're made from sheer curtain fabric, but due to the construction technique actually are remarkably opaque. The white one was the first skirt I made, and was actually the first one I wore for any period of time. (Then there's Sapphire's "mini-kilt" which I wear around the house from time to time, but at 15" it really is rather scandalous on a 6'4" bloke. That one's black and hot pink with lace trim; it takes a lot of confidence to pull that off, I can tell you!)

So I have quite the mix available to me (compare and contrast to *two* pairs of trousers -- one black, one grey), and all serve different functions and get paired up with different other garments to achieve whatever look I happen to be "going for" at any particular point in time. That said, I tend to lean towards more formal looks; I like waistcoats (US "vests") a lot (always have) and think they look positively smashing with skirts. Another member here made the connection that I am "steampunk resonant" (blast you, Inertia, and I mean that kindly), and managed to put my mind on a track that will likely yield some medium expenditures of cash in the upcoming months to enhance my wardrobe.

If not for skirts, and the way that one must pay attention when one's wearing one, I'd still not give a rat's arse about what I looked like so long as the "important bits" were covered. I'd call the current state of affairs an improvement.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Inertia
Distinguished Member

Post by Inertia »

crfriend wrote:That said, I tend to lean towards more formal looks; I like waistcoats (US "vests") a lot (always have) and think they look positively smashing with skirts. Another member here made the connection that I am "steampunk resonant" (blast you, Inertia, and I mean that kindly), and managed to put my mind on a track that will likely yield some medium expenditures of cash in the upcoming months to enhance my wardrobe.
Hurray! Corrupted, you are! <evil grin> That steampunk forum has many suggestions about how to indulge one's... resonances... without breaking one's bank account, I've noticed. And a good thing, too, I say, speaking as one whose resonances would far outstrip her budget, given the chance. :-D

Do post a few pictures, once the enhancements have been promoted to production?

Cheers,

Inertia
straightfairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by straightfairy »

crfriend wrote:Other styles can work well on guys, too, but a lot depends on body type and one's skin tone.

For instance, I have a few of the tiered "bohemian"-style skirts that work very well on me (I'm very tall and thin), three simple A-line velvet skirts (mid-calf length) that work well.

For simpler looks, I've "appropriated" a few of Sapphire's old plain heavy knit-cotton mid-calf skirts ...
This is what I mean, though.
Each person has a different preferred style and might be more wiling to experiment with another, if someone can recommend a particular skirt of that style, or from a certain shop.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Inertia wrote:Corrupted, you are! <evil grin> That steampunk forum has many suggestions about how to indulge one's... resonances... without breaking one's bank account, I've noticed.
I think I came into this world a wee bit "corrupted", so this is just another layer of icing. In any event, the things I'm likely to be after will be worked into everyday wear (being the cheap pri^W person I am, I don't like seeing things go to waste).
Do post a few pictures, once the enhancements have been promoted to production?
The astute will have noticed that my imagery did a quick vanishing act several months ago. This was for reason, and the reason has recently largely been lifted. New shots -- and hopefully better ones -- may follow in the future.
Inertia
Distinguished Member

Post by Inertia »

Corruption with icing is quite delightful! :-D And I agree... why save unique wardrobe items for special occasions? I believe a piece of clothing one likes, whether it's "conventional" or not, ought to be incorporated into the usual wardrobe, worn, and enjoyed.

Cheers,

Inertia
r1g0r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r1g0r »

BLOODY HELL!

what steampunk forum?

dare i ask for a(n) url ? :twisted:
you know... george orwell warned us!
"Moderation is a colorless, insipid thing to counsel. To live less would not be living."
Sister M. Madeleva Wolff (1887-1964), CSC
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

r1g0r wrote:what steampunk forum?
It's called Brass Goggles, and it has some truly fascinating stuff.
dare i ask for a(n) url ? :twisted:
It's above, good sir. Enjoy.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

straightfairy wrote:Each person has a different preferred style and might be more wiling to experiment with another, if someone can recommend a particular skirt of that style, or from a certain shop.
Of the recent purchases, the tiered skirts and two of the velvet ones came from Wal-Mart, the other velvet one from Susan Graver on QVC, and the ankle-length one from J.C. Penney.

The other skirts are quite old and are likely not being made anymore, but the cotton knit ones were from Land's End, the silk ones from J. Peterman, and the pleated ones from Dress Barn. All of these are 10+ years old, so they are highly probably unobtanium now.

I made the two minis.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Straightfairy,

I like the idea of posting where we have found good skirts so that others can benefit but you could make it far easier if you included a link to the skirts in your posts rather than leaving folks to search for them.

Having said that I had a look at the Grattan one and have to say that I'm tempted. The Littlewoods one looked OK and is cheap but I don't think the pockets will work for me. Interestingly both those skirts seem to have flys constructed to open to the right; maybe they are intended for us guys?

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I've heard a lot of stuff about right and left side flies, am I to understand that a right side fly is male and a left side fly is female? WHY???? 1st of all, why do females need a fly on the front of any garment? Also, what do left handed males do, reach over and show the entire zipper to the world while opening it? Every pair of pants I ever shortened into shorts at my sewing machine I also reversed the fly so it was easy for me to open it and still have it look closed while unzipping it with my LEFT hand. Garment makers should make both left and right handed flies for left and right handed people, not because of what gender they are. :?: :?: :oops:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Inertia
Distinguished Member

Post by Inertia »

Since1982 wrote:I've heard a lot of stuff about right and left side flies, am I to understand that a right side fly is male and a left side fly is female? WHY???? 1st of all, why do females need a fly on the front of any garment?
Um... so we can fasten the garments on, and remove them when we want to take them off? :-) Some skirts have their buttons and zipper on the side, to present a clean front, but some, especially the more "jeans style" ones, put the fly in the front, like on a pair of trousers.

Cheers,

Inertia