Contradance kilts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Contradance kilts

Post by Charlie »

My wife and I had a great weekend contra-dancing at Halsway Manor down in Somerset. There were a number of kilt/skirt related incidents (all positive).

During one of the dances, one of the couples swapped roles (he took the woman's role, she took the man's role) which caused some confusion until we realised what was going on. The caller picked up on this and for the next dance, everyone swapped roles, but he called the dance as normal i.e. men had to respond to the women's call and vice-versa. It was quite enlightening for both genders - many of the women had danced the part of a man, but some hadn't, and most of the men had never danced the woman's role. Personally, I enjoyed it.

I'd worn corduroy kilts all weekend - didn't take any trousers at all :). On the last day, one of the two men who had worn shorts all the time asked if I'd got the kilt on-line. He'd spotted the Union Kilts logo on the back pocket - hope he goes on-line and gets himself a kilt.

A woman asked if I was Scottish. "No" I replied. "I thought not. Do you have any trousers?" she asked. "Only for work" said I.

For some reason, the subject of Victorian clothing came up. Someone said that Victorian trousers were shapeless and baggy. I observed that not much had changed ...

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.