hybrid garments

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Milfmog

Re: hybrid garments

Post by Milfmog »

In 2008
I wrote:I don't own (or want) a Macabi < SNIP >
That is no longer true; I've had a long Macabi for about 18 months now and I love it for walking on days when the weather suggests trousers would be good but, I don't want to go the two pipes route.

I did not want a Macabi due to the rather full, light and floaty appearance; now I have had one for a while those are exactly the qualities I enjoy about it, though more from a wearers perspective than a visual one. Like a previous poster I do not use the wading snaps (not yet anyway), but I have found the simple lanyard from front to back just above the hem to be useful a few times in blustery conditions. I'm not sure it really adds modesty (or that an addition is really required) however it certainly provides some extra mental confidence that the whole thing will not lift up over my head and frighten the natives :shock:

The pockets are voluminous and useful, I particularly like the zipped safety pocket. The fabric is tough, easy to wash and quick drying and does not feel too clammy against the skin if it gets wet when wearing it. For example, last night I was wearing it when I was out walking in rain for around three hours. The skirt was drenched below coat length, but the moisture did not wick up and, as the fabric remains wind proof, I stayed warm and comfortable. On getting home it went straight in the washing machine and then over an airer, by this morning it was dry and ready to wear again. Very impressive and very practical; sadly I can't wear it to work (due to the machinery in the factory as much as a desire to hang on to the current job for a while).

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

I was quite put off the Macabi looking at their own publicity pictures; as soon as anything is done to fasten or shorten the long skirt, it looks a mess. As for wearing it as shorts, with all that material bunched up around the b.... lower body(!); both inelegant and uncomfortable.

If you really need a convertible garment, why not copy the trousers with zips on the legs so that you can remove which ever part of the leg tubes you don't require. A long skirt too could have a horizontal zip at knee level so that you could remove the lower part.

The Indians manage conversion quite well by raising the hem of a long sarong (right word?) up to waist level and tucking it in to make a knee-length garment, but it looks a bit bulky.

If you really want to alternate between skirt and bifurcated, the only elegant ways would to wear shorts under a removable skirt, or snap front and back of your skirt together as I believe you can with Utilikilts.

So far, I have not felt the need to bifurcate any of my clothes.

Martin
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

I've had a Macabi skirt since the late 90's. Carol presented me with a free one for promoting the product. At the time I was living in South Florida and I wore it all over the place, but especially to the beach while metal detecting. I did have it shortened to just below the knee though, and that worked out nicely. At the time I got it there were only, I think, two colors and one length. I'm glad Carol has done so well with the Macabi skirt, and I'm happy to have played a small part in popularizing them.
Ordained Deacon and Ruling Elder, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

couyalair wrote:I was quite put off the Macabi looking at their own publicity pictures; as soon as anything is done to fasten or shorten the long skirt, it looks a mess.
Agreed; and I don't shorten it. I simply use the lanyard from the d-ring inside about 6" above the hem to the loop in the corresponding position on the back seam. It's like a very narrow inseam at ankle height, the skirt still just looks like a skirt.
As for wearing it as shorts, with all that material bunched up around the b.... lower body(!); both inelegant and uncomfortable.
I've experimented with this and have to say that while it may look dreadful (I agree, it does) it is still very comfortable and I can imagine using the short arrangements if I needed to wade across a stream but not for more than that.
If you really need a convertible garment, why not copy the trousers with zips on the legs so that you can remove which ever part of the leg tubes you don't require. A long skirt too could have a horizontal zip at knee level so that you could remove the lower part.
I found a skirt in three sections made like this. Sadly it was too small for me but I also felt that the stiffness of the zip completely changed the way the fabric hung and would probably make the skirt less comfortable to wear. However, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so I will continue to keep my eyes open and, should I find a length adjustable skirt in my size for a reasonable price, I will try one.
The Indians manage conversion quite well by raising the hem of a long sarong (right word?) up to waist level and tucking it in to make a knee-length garment, but it looks a bit bulky.
I've done this with a long cargo skirt and it works well with almost no noticeable extra bulk, but that is because the skirt is quite narrow. I tried it with the Macabi and while useable it looks litle better that Macabis own solution.
If you really want to alternate between skirt and bifurcated, the only elegant ways would to wear shorts under a removable skirt, or snap front and back of your skirt together as I believe you can with Utilikilts.
Yes, my UK Survivor has a pair of toggles that allow the aprons to be fastened together or to be fastened to the back. I use the former quite regularly in breezy weather, but seldom need the front to back fastening.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Back when I had survival UK's, I only used the toggles to tie the aprons together. I had no desire to turn them into pleated wrap skorts. If someone happened to be standing under me while I was on a ladder, they could deal with it. Since I usually wear unmentionables under my clothing, all they'd see would be that, not a twig & berries.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

I wonder if Jdez is still on the market? They talk about their upcoming 2006 collection. Just as bad as MIDAS Clothing. I shouldn't dare order by such companies.

http://www.jdez.com/men/
http://www.midasclothing.com/pages/
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Back to the question, hybrid garments:

I prefer the real thing, be it trousers or a skirt.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

GerdG wrote:Back to the question, hybrid garments:

I prefer the real thing, be it trousers or a skirt.
I think the point is that all the hybrids are the real thing; skirts. The hybridisation is either a sop to the vanity of men who have not developed the fortitude to be seen in a skirt or a concession for practicality that might occasionally be required.

Sadly, I believe Jdez are dead in the water, I've seen a number of reports of folks failing to get in touch with them.

Have fun,

Ian.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

looks like a great item for someone who wants to get back in trousers. I'm in skirts full time for 8 years now and part time for 41 years and happy with my garments.,I own 2 pants items for special times like when I'm ordered to wear pants/trousers like in a court or other legal place, but never anywhere else. :faint:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Anything that performs a dual, as opposed to single function will always have to be a compromise .
I really don't know anything about the history of the macabi, but d-rings, lines and snaps are more reminiscent of a tent than an item of clothing.
I'm really not being critical, if it works for you, don't fix it, enjoy it to your heart's content.
Steve.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I digress here. A bit like the current incarnation of hybrid cars....Neither fish nor fowl. A good mathematics prof. friend has a Toyota Prius. His wife drives a 'proper' Toyota....an Avensis diesel.
When they want to travel any decent distance they always use the Avensis. It's MUCH more economical than the Prius.

Better to go skirted & have done with it.

Tom K.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

couyalair wrote:

The dhoti.
Raakone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Raakone »

There's at least two types of "sarong"-type garments in India...there's the Dhoti, which is usually white, cream, or a related color...may have a gold border...also known as a pancha (because it's generally 5 yards of fabric, "pancha" means "five" in Sanskrit). It's worn for formal occasions, and by priests as part of their regalia (in some cases, it may be all that a priest is wearing). It usually is wider as well as longer, and in Northern India...and among ISKON devotees ("Hare Krishnas"), part of the cloth is passed between the legs to form loose pants.....similar to what's traditionally done in Thailand.

The other variant has some names...Mundu, Lungi....it's more colorful, considered more informal, may be striped or checkered or plaid, and it doesn't have as much material. Depending on the region, it may be a straight wrap, or it may be a sewn tube.

But with both (all?) of these, it's possible to wear it in a "shorter" form, used for work, that's generally considered being under dressed (you don't speak to your social superiors, or to a lady, without making sure your garment is at its full length first!)
Mr. Sir

Post by Mr. Sir »

If I've violated board protocol, my apologies for resurrecting this thread, but I've seen Macabi come up throughout.

I've thought about jumping to a skirt for a while now, but I was never too keen on the Utilikilt type stuff -- the kilt look just isn't what I'm going for. It wasn't until I went and saw a Jean Paul Gaultier exhibit that I saw one of his men's angle length skirts that rocked and I wanted to get something similar (in size).

So... I looked around for a bit and ran across the Macabi which I'd like to try, but here's the thing: I'm confused about the sizing.

The site states that "for a less full fit in the skirt, go one size smaller. Men, go two sizes smaller."

Question: Is this the Waist size they're referring to or the Length? Another way of asking is: Does a "less full fit" mean it's narrower or shorter?

I'm 5'10" and have a 33" waist. I'd like skirt to hang down to my ankes or just below them, but I'd like a narrower cut so to avoid a "poofy" skirt.

Thanks for any suggestions or comments -- I sent the Macabi site an email but haven't heard back.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Mr. Sir wrote:Question: Is this the Waist size they're referring to or the Length? Another way of asking is: Does a "less full fit" mean it's narrower or shorter?
It's the waist size.

Generally speaking, the outward "taper" of a skirt (at least in the classic "A-line" shape) begins at the waist and therefore the waist size becomes a controlling factor in how "full" ("poofy") the skirt is down lower. This is especially true with elasticised-waistband or drawstring-waistband skirts (of which the Macabi is both).
Mr. Sir wrote:I'm 5'10" and have a 33" waist. I'd like skirt to hang down to my ankes or just below them, but I'd like a narrower cut so to avoid a "poofy" skirt.
Start with the length. Measure from where you'll wear the waistband (it may not be at your waist; you may want to hang it from your hips if they're prominent enough) to where you want the hem to fall -- that'll be the length you're after if the skirt hangs straight down; add some if you anticipate that it'll be held outwards (e.g. with a petticoat).

The waist size is a bit of a minefield, but from experience with the Macabi I have the "go down two sizes" was pretty close. If I was to do it again, I'd probably go down only one, but I like fullness in my skirts and the leftover drawstring can be difficult to tie if I've just finished a large meal.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for any suggestions or comments -- I sent the Macabi site an email but haven't heard back.
That's unusal; the times I've dealt with them they've been remarkably responsive.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!