Why men like skirts - Skirt! Magazine

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
boca

Why men like skirts - Skirt! Magazine

Post by boca »

A while ago someone mentioned that Skirt! Magazine has a "He's so original" feature. Basically it features an artistic guy who poses in a skirt, and they show a photo of it. Along with their bio, they ask the person two questions: "The best thing about wearing a skirt? " and "The best thing about reading skirt!?"

Below I've condensed all the answers to the question "The best thing about wearing a skirt" Click the name to see the featured page of the person behind the quote, and then click on the image to see him in a skirt. The quote don't always justice to the character of the person without seeing the article and the images. I'd recommend clicking on the links if you're interested.

"The best thing about wearing a skirt?"
“It’s liberating, yet alarming. I find myself feeling more comfortable in this than I should.”
- Jesse James Dupree:
“Working in a hot kitchen, the ventilation was helpful.”
- Brandon Velie:
"Increased air flow while providing maximum output."
- Matthew Myers:
"I’ve worn one before – there are still pictures around somewhere."
- Matt Reis.

"The sheer liberation, I like mixing it up from time to time, thinking outside of the pant."
-Yani Dilling
“The breeze from the light rail cars gave me a few ‘Marilyn Monroe’ moments. How do you all wear these things?”
- Jon Wilson
“I put that skirt on in my church and, standing up there, I now know how my grandmother felt when she was shouting and praising God.”
- Corey Miller

"I’ve got a great pair of legs."
- Ricky Nxumalo
“It looks great with my boots!”
- Bill Masters
"The adventure of trying new things."
- Brad & Chuck Odum

“The breeze.”
- Howard Stovall

"I’m hot-blooded, so the extra cooling is welcome. "
- David Millsaps

“I’m Scottish. I was born to wear a skirt.”
- Patrick Smith

Bill: “Cool breeze!”
Pete: “Now I’m free to pursue my dream of becoming a bagpiper.”
Joe: “It makes it easier to hide a machine gun.”
- Bill Pappas, Pete Cash & Joe Cash

There's no quote for this one, but the image is worth it.
imadube
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Why men like skirts - Skirt! Magazine

Post by imadube »

Has anyone thought to write the publisher of Skirt! to ask of thier motivation for "He's so origianl"?
I have written to papers and mags before but I guess I never seem to catch anyones attention as I seem to get ignored.
I would like to know about the motivation of the mags articles.
Maybe the right words couls turn the Mag into a friend of the cafe.
Mark & Brenda Dubé
Tobacco Free Electronic Cigarettes
Two options to purchase;
Red Dragon Electronic Cigarettes
http://imadube.web.officelive.com
Green Smoke Electronic Cigarettes
http://greensmoke.com/5520.html
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Very interesting, the photo's selected. Especially one thing, most men were wearing lovely wide airy skirts, ie not of a sturdy material, like a denim skirt, AND most were of a floral design, which I too do like.
It is in no way femme, it is just very colourful. I think that the skirts are showing how the men themselves feel, and are happy to show.

Men DO NOT HAVE TO wear anything that is remotely ""Femme"". Femme having a widely different meaning to many.
I would rather say colourful, or actually Femme, WITHOUT any degradive meaning in regards to the man wearing anything "femme".
I am happy to see the "Hawaaian" colourful shirt blowing over to under the belt by men. Something that up till recently was a no no. :shock: :?

It is all about choice, not only the skirt, but also "colour". Unfortunately there are still many people, also men who are wearing skirts who frown on anything that does not follow the indoctrination of men's clothing, in pants.

But Men can be colourful people too. Inwardly, but also outwardly, visually.

I am also very happy to see that there are many men who have been able to integrate skirt wearing into their daily lives, into their work.

Haven't read the stories yet.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Bri
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bri »

I read the stories and most are just talking about the person and their accomplishments, the part about why they're in skirts is almost always "comfort" as the main idea said in different ways.
Wiha

Post by Wiha »

Seems to me that they just wear it for the photo and not in real life (at least not all of them). Also according some comments I got the idea they just wear it for the photo. Anyone other opinion?
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Wiha, that's possible. But wouldn't you say wearing skirts anywhere be a step up over not wearing them at all? I'd think wearing a skirt even for a photo shoot might decide some of the male models to perhaps try wearing one in public. Skirts, in my opinion have one desired terrific outcome in some cases. The wearer finds out how comfortable they are and tries them on a regular basis. After all, whoever paid for the photo shoot certainly would allow the "posers" to keep the skirts they wore and once tried, (like drugs) they are very hard to put aside hehehehe.

After resisting trying a Sulu, which everyone in the movie crew I was on in 1972 on Fiji Island was wearing all the time, I tried it and was completely hooked and have been wearing Sulus, Sarongs and later actual skirts ever since and in public since 2004 thanks to this site and people here that were already wearing them without pretending to be women.

Once I tried wearing a denim skirt in public the first time, I was and still am amazed on how much of a non-issue they are. I think unless you are immersed in some Victorian culture, you'll also get a response that is really a non-response. I play Bingo once a week in my town with mostly OLD women and men and once they realized I wore skirts for comfort, not to make some sort of fashion issue, they have accepted my skirts to the point of (the old women)making helpful suggestions and comments to me as to how they look on me.

:thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :buttkick: :ciao: :faint: :shadow: :sorry: :welcome:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Since1982 wrote: The wearer finds out how comfortable they are and tries them on a regular basis.
Agreed! I tried on a skirt many years ago, in desperation (effects of constant chafing and consequent bleeding' in the crotch area, due to 'tr*userisation') - result? - symptoms diminished (to an acceptable level in less than one hour. Mind you, the temperature had soared into the '70Fs and beyond!
Since1982 wrote: Once I tried wearing a denim skirt in public the first time, I was and still am amazed on how much of a non-issue they are.
Again, much the same re-action! I resisted denim skirts to start with, memories of the two pair of jeans I had in the '60s (and goodness, one pair were white! "Fashion" aberration, or what?) which roughed up my legs, etc., in no time. However, being away from home in Austria (& dreadful daytime heat, agin 70F & above!), I thought, "What the h*ll?" Fantastic!
Not a single comment or 'stupid look'. And, to state the obvious, no inseam to cause the pain!
Since1982 wrote: I play Bingo once a week in my town with mostly OLD women and men and once they realized I wore skirts for comfort, not to make some sort of fashion issue, they have accepted my skirts to the point of (the old women)making helpful suggestions and comments to me as to how they look on me.
Now that's my biggest gripe with the whole 'Skirt Thing' and that is "Fashion"! I HATE (& LOATHE, come to think of it :evil: ) the apparent correlation between "Skirts" and "Fashion". Some folk seem xenophobic about it. Everyone to their own, of course, but any bloke seen flouncing about in 'pretty frocks' re-inforces in the mind of Joe Public, that skirts are 'only for women'. Doesn't exactly help those of us for whom 'comfort' is the only criteria....