The Dude Skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

The Dude Skirt

Post by Barleymower »

Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Dude Skirt

Post by Coder »

You saw Robert Pattinson rock a skirt (or was it a skort?) to the Dior show. That was part of a bigger movement. Martine Rose set the wheels in motion when she closed Pitti Uomo with a collection brimming with men in denim, floor-length skirts. Etro's man favoured long-length tartan skirts were worn with oversized rugby shirts, while Ludovic Saint Sernin was all about pleated minis that were so very Y2K. Just don't skip leg day.
I would like this person to expound on what they mean by "bigger movement". So far we've seen the random male celeb wearing them, and being featured more frequently in fashion shows. Not sure if they are talking about the uptick in the news, or if there is something we mortals can't see with our eyes. There also seems to be a trend of men in maxi-length skirts at these shows - but again I don't see the movement happening, unless I'm missing something.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

It's happening in the fashion houses, every collection is now including skirts for men. The fashion houses dictate what people will be wearing and not what is shown in the collection but by imitation and a trickle down effect.
It's not gaining traction in the mainstream. Men are not picking up a skirt and saying let's give it a try. Somehow the association with being submissive needs to be broken. Tough one.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:49 pm
You saw Robert Pattinson rock a skirt (or was it a skort?) to the Dior show. That was part of a bigger movement. Martine Rose set the wheels in motion when she closed Pitti Uomo with a collection brimming with men in denim, floor-length skirts. Etro's man favoured long-length tartan skirts were worn with oversized rugby shirts, while Ludovic Saint Sernin was all about pleated minis that were so very Y2K. Just don't skip leg day.
I would like this person to expound on what they mean by "bigger movement". So far we've seen the random male celeb wearing them, and being featured more frequently in fashion shows. Not sure if they are talking about the uptick in the news, or if there is something we mortals can't see with our eyes. There also seems to be a trend of men in maxi-length skirts at these shows - but again I don't see the movement happening, unless I'm missing something.
By movement, I think we need to better define what you envision.

I would hazard a guess that fifty years ago, men wearing skirts was not something seriously contemplated. I know there are still these multiple discussions of how the sixties had a clothing revolution and men wore skirts but honestly, I have never seen this discussed or in pictures outside of this cafe. In the 80’s and 90’s, I don’t think I ever even thought about men wearing a skirt cause I don’t think it was at all discussed. Correct me if I am wrong.

Since joining this forum, I of course did a google search. The earliest article I can find is in the oughts. A few more in to 20-teens but most in the past five years. And this basically has correlated with celebs/jocks wearing skirts. Something I never really heard about prior to this.

Now, from participating in this forum, there are also now major manufacturers (eg adidas) who market a skirt to men. Did that occur before 2020? If so, would you consider there are more places selling mens skirts before or after 2020?

And to me, I think the number of celebs/jocks wearing skirts has increased, the number of clothing shops selling mens skirts has increased and the number of pictures of men in skirts (that are not comedic or due to some dress up for charity thing) has increased and though social media was not around years ago, the reports of hashtags for men in skirts getting hundreds of thousands of hit is remarkable.

I agree, the movement is not earth shattering, but I feel the movement. And I believe you are proof. You’ve now rocked it by wearing a skirt to work, interacted with many and no one has laughed, ridiculed you, mocked you, left bad messages anonymously in your office. You, my friend, are the movement.

I only hope I can do at least half as well as you have. And my most recent flight in a kilt went a long way for me. So maybe that’s my reasoning for thinking there’s a movement but mostly, I think the movement is happening but just not fast enough for our liking. As we’d like the movement to have occurred yesterday
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

"Dude skirt" should be entered into Coder's thread of silly names for skirts for men.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

denimini wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:27 am "Dude skirt" should be entered into Coder's thread of silly names for skirts for men.
Heh, I was sorely tempted to - will now!
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

denimini wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:27 am "Dude skirt" should be entered into Coder's thread of silly names for skirts for men.
The (Dude) skirt abides. 8)
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

FLbreezy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:03 pm
The (Dude) skirt abides. 8)
Yes :D

I didn't quite understand that movie, but it was, uh, interesting.