Work skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Work skirts

Post by howardfh »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:15 am I wore this in the office last week;
It confused quite a few and garnered several compliments along the way.
It is also a rarity in that I don't have on glasses, a first in nearly 60 years.
Steve.
great! what's the badge/brooch? I like to wear one on my skirts whenever appropriate
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

howardfh wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:39 pm great! what's the badge/brooch? I like to wear one on my skirts whenever appropriate
Thanks All,
However, there is a specific answer to the question which would also be of some interest to the kilt police.
First the skirt is just that although being tartan it passes as a kilt.
The tartan is the Black Stewart and the badge is the Kennedy family crest, a boy riding on a dolphin.
The motto is "Avis La Fin", consider the end. Kennedy is my surname so it is the only "legitimate" item I have on.
Since I am also wearing tights and ankle boots there is enough mix there to get me hung, drawn and quartered by the plaid puritans.
moonshadow wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:43 pm Though I wouldn't advise tending a garden or disassembling a bathtub drain I a crawl space in such an outfit!
The "Great Kilt" was worn for everything that the native Scots Highlander had to do just to survive, the "Kilt" as we now know it is just a bit of dress up and not much else.
Kirbstone wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:34 pm If you drop by I'll hand you a pitchfork and you can help me muck out our large donkey shed. That'll earn you a wee dram, of course. Would Dalwhinnie do?
I would gladly help you with the "sharn", Tom but it's Adam's Wine only for me these days. However, I am well partial to Irish Stew and I'd even bring my own soda bread.
Maybe one day.
Steve.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Stevie,

Nothing better than 'Adam's wine' if it's burn water. Grab a slice of smoked wild salmon to slap on top of that soda-bread. I was nurtured on it.....the bread, I mean., but quite often a gentleman would arrive at our door wearing a greatcoat and pullout from under it a fine spring salmon.....poached of course, 'furr de Dochturr'. Payment in kind.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

I work from home now, so I can wear what I like.

What I like is simple, practical and can be made to look appropriately masculine. I am waiting for this one to drop in price (as it will).

Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

I'm retired, and no longer need to worry about dressing up to go to work.
For me, "work skirt" for me would mean a skirt that works for me.
No fuss, no frills, comfortable and serviceable, knee-length, pockets
front and back (no velcro flaps, please), plenty of belt loops, front button
and zip. My everyday jeans or casual shorts translated into a skirt. Mostly
solid colors, but I also like camouflage, muted plaids, inconspicuous
patterns (no polka dots, no clown-suit plaids).
We just received the Blair fall men's wear catalog. It has a few items that
I like and might order, but, alas, no skirts.
I would consider it a major turn of events and a favorable confirmation
if the catalogs from L. L. Bean, Land's End, Blair, Vermont Country Store,
Carhartt, etc., would start showing skirts worn by male models and
offering skirts as a regular, everyday, socially acceptable, street-legal
clothing for men, whether working or retired.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I came across this msn article https://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/sty ... li=BBoPOOm. I know it's primarily about a woman photographer but I added a comment about rewriting the stereotype of skirts. Yes, I'm stretching the "stereotype" bit but the reason I mention this here is that my comment underwent several rewrite , being rejected as opposing their editorial guidelines. Each said basically what I put with words in a different order. The accepted comment still went through a period of being reviewed before display. What it is that offended their editorial rules I haven't a clue. Try and leave a comment along similar lines and see how far you get. :?:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Wow they really botched it up Dennis... that style of writing doesn't look like yours at all.

I'm not sure I'd approve of an editor changing around my words... either let the original comment stand or remove it all together.. otherwise they'd just be putting words in my mouth.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:20 pm Try and leave a comment along similar lines and see how far you get.
Nah... my grammar is bad enough as it is.... :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I expect that we will soon see a dichotomy in our wardrobes-many of our skirts will be everyday/workaday garments, while other skirts will be more for dressing up. A rough analogy-a man's wardrobe may include both jeans and slacks.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Moon, you're right - that isn't my style, I said a bit more than that, but it's the best I could do to get it through the censor software. I just wondered if anyone else would either have better luck or would see what I meant.

Gok, I already have "best" skirts, "casual" skirts, "sports" skirts and so on. But you have touched on a sore point as what I'm not sure about is how to order them in my wardrobe. Colour, function, length, size, style. I just don't know. What seems good one week just doesn't seem right the next time I go into the wardrobe to choose a skirt. Bother!
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:34 pmGok, I already have "best" skirts, "casual" skirts, "sports" skirts and so on. But you have touched on a sore point as what I'm not sure about is how to order them in my wardrobe. Colour, function, length, size, style. I just don't know. What seems good one week just doesn't seem right the next time I go into the wardrobe to choose a skirt. Bother!
That's part of the charm -- and curse -- of an expanded sartorial "vocabulary". Sometimes the options befuddle one from time to time. However, I believe it's best to have a wide palette to choose from than the straitjacket of t-shirts, polos, and jeans that make up the day-to-day wardrobe of the common lemming.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

This thread reminds me of some older threads in which we predicted the next skirt to gain traction. We ended up describing similar designs-knee length, heavy duty fabric, good pockets. Occasionally someone has mentioned a stealth skirt, which looks like shorts.

And now it looks like members are now starting to dress like that.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Grok wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:10 am And now it looks like members are now starting to dress like that.
Hi Grok
I divide mine into an effective tripartite; work, casual and "Sunday" best. Any one of the three can, and often does, get
re-classified at my whim. There is never any ambiguity as to the type of clothes which I have opted for on any given day.
The "kilt" I am wearing in the picture is really a lampoon on all the absurdity that surrounds that particular breed of skirt.
As for "stealth", I cannot see the point, a skirt is a skirt no matter how you dress it up. Pun intended.
If you wish to wear a garment that looks like shorts that is absolutely fine. However, would it not be easier just to
wear the things in the first place?
Conversely, there are shorts on the market which are loose and floaty enough to pass as a skirt, go figure.
My point is that we are making a mistake by attempting to apply this concept of masculinity in a clothing context.
I honestly cannot see how that will ultimately lead to greater freedom, more likely just another slight variation on the current straitjackets presently masquerading as mainstream male fashion.
Personally, I am rather proud not to conform so if I appeared otherwise, I could have saved myself some bother.
Nah, the skirted rebel side of me has a hell of a lot more fun than his docile trouser wearing alter ego.
Steve.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

The novelty has certainly worn off for me, and I do tend to wear a fairly small selection of my skirts time and time again. But I occasionally try new styles and some of them become regulars. I have only a few patterned skirts, most of them floral, but I see no need to purge them for that. None of mine are frilly or lacy or feminine in that way. Actually I have one which is quite outré by my standards which I have been wearing a lot recently and I have a wee pic of it to post to my thread. (Once I work out how to convert the annoying new .heic file format into something uploadable to SC.) When it comes to physical work, that normally means gardening, a chore which I avoid as much as possible. For that my very first (and now quite worn) knee-length denim skirt is the usual choice unless the job involves thorns and calls for better protection for the shins.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

skirtyscot wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:21 pm The novelty has certainly worn off for me, and I do tend to wear a fairly small selection of my skirts time and time again
I think for me it has come to the point where the 80/20 rule has finally come into play..

20% of my clothes get worn 80% of the time and vice versa.
-Andrea