Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

This morning they were out there, in Brisbane (Australia) at least.

I was in the city, walking back to my car when I stopped at an intersection waiting to cross the road when almost right along side me was another fellow in a very weathered looking leather utility kilt, with a blue tartan in the pleats. I was in my black kilt.
Not the first kilted guy I've seen in that area of the city, I've actually seen half a dozen or so. Probably wont be the last. Seen a few kilted guys in the Valley (A part of Brisbane with a lot of entertainment and bars) as well.

Then this large guy, in a suit (only just in his suit) came up and started asking if we were related, and you guys must be Scottish etc, there was another guy there walking in another direction wearing a pirate costume (no sword though, that would be an illegal weapon in public) and this fat idiot started calling to him. I think all of us, including those others around were simply thinking "what an annoying idiot"... He wasn't threatening, demeaning, just a loud idiot.

The other kilted fellow didn't really have anything to say either, and once across the road we all just walked off in our separate directions.

There's a few MIS around Brisbane...Pleasant cool day for it, about 23°C...
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

It must be that it is a big city in a warm climate to see so many guys in kilts. I have not seen one in my visits to Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Anthony,

Next time you're in QLD, we'll have to spend some time in the city (Brisvegas)...

I'll admit, it's a rare occurrence to see another bloke in a skirt or kilt, but you do see the odd bloke wearing a kilt/skirt. Maybe I seem to spot more blokes in kilts/skirts than most. All I know is that they're out there (In Brisbane at least)..
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Today at work, a fire alarm did ring out. After that we speaked a bit about it, then I told my colleagues a story I lived many years ago. When a was at university, I was in the toilets and not to only pee. At the moment it started to get out, a fire alarm did ring out. As you can imagine I was totally stressed because there was no way I could exit the building quickly because when it starts, I can't stop it as I want. And considering going away in this situation would have sprinkled a quite big area of the building with shit... and me too... beuk.
Well, after I told this and with no expectancy at all, the discussion awfully fastly went to the fact that in this situation it would be very handier to wear a skirt instead of a pant (at least to get out quickly). After what we had a small discussion about wearing skirt as men (we were all men in the room at the moment) and they seemed quite opened to the idea. Not to say anything bad about it, and if I understood well one of them did try it at home but his girlfriend said something like "Hey no, that's not the week-end, put of your skirt and take a pant".
Anyway, I did take the occasion to say them that I wear skirts at home and sometimes outside (*), now I'll see if the topic will come again in the future discussions. Maybe with a bit of luck, I will not have to do any demand to come skirted at work 😍 I will try to force the topic to come again, but I think it will be a bit difficult (I never good at this) and I will also try to make them to challenge me to come skirted at work, that way, I would have an excuse if my boss disagrees with that: it's not me captain, that's my colleagues who did asked me! 🤣

(*) At the moment, I did it once yesterday to come at a pharmacy at 100 meters from home, but I don't plan to do it anymore in a short notice because I have no skirt with correct pockets and that doesn't fall when I put minimal stuffs inside the pockets :blue:
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Not quite "in the wild" but many guys on Instagram are adding skirts to their wardrobe. Some may be "genderqueer", but the looks are well put together.

Seen some guys wearing heels, but with men's jeans on my local high street. :)
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

new2skirts wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:22 pm Seen some guys wearing heels, but with men's jeans on my local high street. :)
Now that is something worth noting, even if it's not a skirt.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Dust wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:34 am
new2skirts wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:22 pm Seen some guys wearing heels, but with men's jeans on my local high street. :)
Now that is something worth noting, even if it's not a skirt.
There are loads on Instagram, but so thinly spread it's rare to bump into a skirted man in the wild. A lot are working from home, and they fear a second wave of the virus, so we could see empty streets again :blue:

There are guys like "joshohhgosh" who really do well with their fashion :)
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Freefrom

Post by Freefrom »

I have been wearing skirts and kilts all summer and have been fortunate enough to receive many compliments, although almost exclusively from women folk.
Tonight was a first when a man complimented me on my attire and he ventured to ask why I was wearing a kilt. I replied that it was far more comfortable that trousers (pants). He looked thoughtful so I added 'you should try it'. He replied 'you know I think I will'
Little victories go on to win larger battles! :)
Vige

Re: Sightings "in the wild" and first post to the forum

Post by Vige »

I recently took a solo road trip up and down the US east coast. I wore a black utility kilt sightseeing at Fort Sumter. A nice lady complimented me on my skirt, then laughed and said ‘I know it’s a kilt’. I laughed too, she was being friendly and I’m always happy to have a positive interaction. I wore the same kilt in Freeport, Maine, shopping at LL Bean. Two separate guys at a gas station commented on rocking a kilt. Store employees in all the shops clearly noticed the kilt, and all were friendly. There were a couple of stares along the way from other people, but no one ever said anything.
I also wore a black slip skirt or a gray knit above the knee while driving. Both super comfortable. A clerk in a gas station in North Carolina was clearly uncomfortable with me and my skirt. A couple of bikers took note of my skirt at another gas station, in Virginia. No one said anything anywhere, though.
I have to admit, I feel much more comfortable (psychologically) publicly wearing a kilt. It’s socially acceptable. Take away the kilt form factor (apron and pleats) and suddenly you’re something else.
I’ll be on the road again soon, and look forward to building my kilt & skirt confidence some more. And, maybe I’ll spot another wearer and be sure to report the sighting here.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild" and first post to the forum

Post by Jim »

Welcome to the forum, Vige. Thanks for sharing the story of your trip. I agree that a skirt is much more comfortable than pants for driving.
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tackleberry »

Spotted a man in Radstock in a stripy dress sat outside the Wetherspoons this afternoon 8)
gjskazu1

Post by gjskazu1 »

I went to a doctor's office in an Atlanta Kilts 'Gameday Kilt' then into a Publix to buy some water. When I came out a lady rolled her window down and said "You are rocking that!". It was nice especially in this rural town in North Georgia! Get out and wear it guys!
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

Kilts are nice and i wear my utility kilt alot, But light weight skirt is way more comfortable.
There are alot of skirts that can pass for a kilt as well.

The prob with my utility kilts is they have metal on them that can catch things.
So driving i rather a skirt.
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I went to an NHS clinic on Tuesday last and went in a black above knee skirt, black tights, trainers with T-shirt and pullover on top. Nothing was noted or said. No funny looks or stares and conversations with the phlebotomist was cordial and normal. As expected.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Sinned wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:36 pm No funny looks or stares and conversations with the phlebotomist was cordial and normal. As expected.
Was this perhaps because you had made access to the relevant phleb easier by arriving in a skirt? On second thoughts, perhaps not if you were wearing tights ;-)