Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by shadowfax »

STEVIE wrote:Wine pullover, black shoes, grey pleated skirt and tights. Today's ensemble and jolly comfy too.
The morning outing was for elevenses and crossword. The crossword was an abysmal failure due to distraction by a very jolly 15 month old.
His Mum seemed surprised as apparently he doesn't take to strangers very readily. That was a very pleasant way to spend an hour or so.
I'm not going politico but I also cast my vote and the skirt raised nary an eyebrow there either.
That's including Mrs K who acted as chauffeur. She obviously reckons that my civic duty trumps my fashion choice.
Steve.
I went to vote skirted too.
My usual long-sleeved black shirt, a smart, black leather skirt, nearly black medium support tights and shiny black, high block-heeled Mary Janes.
Carried my poll card and other essentials in a black cross body bag.
Like your experience, Steve. No raised eyebrows. :)
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

Its the last day of my cruise with Lee a freind from work .We stayed just outside of Venice 2 nights before .We had the chance to explore .Me wearing a skirt which was great we had nice weather . I never heard any coments but Lee said to me on the way to the cruise ship something about snarky comments.He asked me not to wear a skirt so i said ill see what i can do . So he said no no do what you want . I have only wore pants on formal nights . mostly i have been on my own around the ship but we have been exploring i think hes embaraassed. We need to talk because when i go away i try and wear a skirt as much as possible
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

eightofnine wrote:Its the last day of my cruise with Lee a freind from work .We stayed just outside of Venice 2 nights before .We had the chance to explore .Me wearing a skirt which was great we had nice weather . I never heard any coments but Lee said to me on the way to the cruise ship something about snarky comments.He asked me not to wear a skirt so i said ill see what i can do . So he said no no do what you want . I have only wore pants on formal nights . mostly i have been on my own around the ship but we have been exploring i think hes embaraassed. We need to talk because when i go away i try and wear a skirt as much as possible
Perhaps Lee is worried the pair of you might be seen as a couple, if he is straight and just a good workmate he might have seen some nice girls on the ship and worry about his chances once they meet his skirted friend he's sharing a cabin with. If these comments are made to him whilst he is alone, he might feel embarrassed.

I dont know the dynamics of your friendship, I am just guessing (and most likely completely wrong :roll: ) We can tune out from comments, or after a couple it just dies as people move onto something else. Cruise ships are still very enclosed environments.

The 'we need to talk' might be a little heavy and he may not feel comfortable about being reproved for what he may feel is a reasonable request. I'm playing devils advocate here, btw...

I would buy a tartan pencil skirt, in a tartan that could be mistaken for a kilt, around the same length :lol:

Any pictures of your trip and attire? :)
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

We are work friends who meep up after work sometimes go hiking museums watch a movie .I asumed that no matter what i wore people would think we are a couple. I did talk to him about it before we left .That must be why he's left me to do my own thing while he does his . I have had a good time . Visited Venice ,Dubrovnik,we did a game of thrones tour ,i sat on the iron throne .Kotor i had a walk aroubd the old town and hiked up a steep path if i had known i was going to do that i would have worn my purple rain skirt rather than my denim .Santorini we did a hike up dodging donkeys as we went up . The last stop Olympia we did a t

our of the first olympic games .Then an olive farm witha freindly dog who decided he would stick his snout up my skirt for a smell . Apart from Dubrovnik the weather has been good we got soaked there. I dont have many photos but ill post. When i get home
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

It's a rare three-day week-end here and we've got a few nice days ahead of us, and I'm planning on making the most of it.

I'm still in "domestic mode" at the moment and am finishing off most of the week's laundry, but my rig for the day is already laid out: white ruffles-with-lace "puffy shirt", yellow near-mini, burgundy waistcoat, burgundy legwear, and shoes TBD.

Tomorrow is going to be in the mid 20s (C) and it'll likely be one of my dresses.

Monday -- if the weather holds -- will be a sailing day out of Boston, so it'll likely be my red Macabi and assorted accoutrements. And sunscreen and a hat this time; I want no repeats of the last trip where I wound up with 2nd degree radiation burns.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

eightofnine wrote:We are work friends who meep up after work sometimes go hiking museums watch a movie .I asumed that no matter what i wore people would think we are a couple. I did talk to him about it before we left .That must be why he's left me to do my own thing while he does his . I have had a good time . Visited Venice ,Dubrovnik,we did a game of thrones tour ,i sat on the iron throne .Kotor i had a walk aroubd the old town and hiked up a steep path if i had known i was going to do that i would have worn my purple rain skirt rather than my denim .Santorini we did a hike up dodging donkeys as we went up . The last stop Olympia we did a t

our of the first olympic games .Then an olive farm witha freindly dog who decided he would stick his snout up my skirt for a smell . Apart from Dubrovnik the weather has been good we got soaked there. I dont have many photos but ill post. When i get home
Glad you had a good time overall. I would have packed an assortment of shorts, jeans and skirts and had some variety. Skirts are great, but not always practical. Lol at the dog :mrgreen:
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

Kevin first of his name King of the Andals and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm.

Rainy day in Dubrovnik

exploring Venice

Cruise ship photo
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Looking like an emperor on his throne for sure. By the way is the young lady in the first picture your mate??

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Fred in Skirts wrote:Looking like an emperor on his throne for sure. By the way is the young lady in the first picture your mate??

Fred
I don't think that's Lee... :mrgreen:

Love the first pic, Kev! Nice skirt, I have a grey cord one that length too.

Can't see your skirt in the Venic pic though... but a nice selection of pics. Keep 'em coming! :wink:
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I've been to downtown Wilmington three times in five days, each time skirted. Once to see a second run of "Gloria Bell" at Thalian Hall - because we saw the Chilean original and wanted to see if Julianne Moore's rendition measured up, and pleased to say that I found it even better. once to meet with a painter for an estimate on one of our apartments, which extended into lunch and shopping with my wife, and today to attend a "Safe Seafood Fair" sponsored by the Coastal Federation, the NAACP, and other organizations, and aimed at informing African-American and Latino populations who use mercury-contaminated fish and crabs from the Cape Fear River as a dietary mainstay, of alternatives to cooking and harvesting risky species. For example, I had not realized that these target populations strain and reuse cooking oil. In addition to frying fish being being a less-than-healthy preparation, the reused oil accumulates both dangerous elements like mercury and arsenic, as well as persistent organics like PCBs...all of which unfortunately flow downriver from NC's industrial region, and become highly concentrated in fish here in our coastal, sluggish, brackish estuarial waters.

Today I was In a camo skirt from Venus (yes, the swimsuit catalog) which has become one of my faves. Friday was a black nylon rear-zip outdoor style skirt from Royal Robbins, and Wednesday was a skirt from eBay advertised as a "skater skirt"...flouncy although it lacked pleats. I like it because it has a bold southwestern red-orange color which matches my favorite toenail polish, Sally Hansen "Crushed," a tomato orange-pink shade no longer available, sadly, though I obtained a couple extra bottles from eBay.

Anyway, I'm headed to the farm tomorrow morning for a couple days, so it will be sweat-soaked shorts and tee shirts for a while. But when I'm back, it's unbifurcated bliss!
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

dillon wrote:...... and today to attend a "Safe Seafood Fair" sponsored by the Coastal Federation, the NAACP, and other organizations, and aimed at informing African-American and Latino populations who use mercury-contaminated fish and crabs from the Cape Fear River as a dietary mainstay, of alternatives to cooking and harvesting risky species. For example, I had not realized that these target populations strain and reuse cooking oil. In addition to frying fish being being a less-than-healthy preparation, the reused oil accumulates both dangerous elements like mercury and arsenic, as well as persistent organics like PCBs...all of which unfortunately flow downriver from NC's industrial region, and become highly concentrated in fish here in our coastal, sluggish, brackish estuarial waters. ........
Some decades ago they called the Rhine River the sewer of Europe. After years of regulating the industry along the Rhine, the river is more or less clean. Even the salmon is back in the river while the river is one of the main ways of transport over water.

That is how a well regulated and caring society operates.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Sinned wrote:geron, for the past few years I've been warming the populace up ready for your visit. The citizens of York are probably used to seeing a skirted fellow around. So I know that you wouldn't have had any problems. You should have PM's me and we could have had a meet.
Well, thank you, Dennis. I was hoping I might find you to express my appreciation in person. When we arrived in the city, my daughter was due to be at her yoga class, which is very close to what I deduce is your place of work, and I was hoping to look in to see whether I could spot you. Alas, in the end the timings didn't work out. Another day, perhaps ;-)
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

Today I went over to a shopping mall wearing my latest acquisition, a 32" black suede skirt plus a black t-shirt. The mall was extremely crowded, possibly due to people trying to get some Memorial Day bargains. I noticed a few second glances but that's about it. Here's the skirt...

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=20638

--Rick
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

Great pics, Kev! I've got a denim skirt that looks identical to the one in the cruise ship photo. Good length on you!

--Rick
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

geron, I'd have been willing but for one thing - I didn't know you were coming. PM me next time. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.