Aggressive women

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.

Re: Aggressive women

Postby weeladdie18 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:57 pm

During the warm summer shorts were a popular style of attire with both the male and female gender.
I wore summer skirts to protect my upper legs from the heat of the sun.
It is reasonable to assume that this would provide some curiosity from the fashion conscious female.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Postby Taj » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:35 pm

A perspective I didn't notice as I read the thread; maybe some women are being welcoming when they comment on our skirted appearance. Women tend to bond with each other in sort of a girls club. I see it a lot. The doors to the club are not completely latched against men who are nonthreatening, and out numbered, in environments that tend towards the feminine. My yoga classes are a good example, wherein I've been accepted around and even included in conversations that are typically girl talk and female health issues. It could feel uncomfortable for some men to be taken in as one of the girls, but I think it happens sometimes.
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
Taj
Member Extraordinaire

Postby weeladdie18 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:47 am

I would agree in my experience it is possible for a male to be accepted into a female group social
activity while still dressing in male clothes and behaving like a gentleman.

If the male dresses in a skirt this would present a certain degree of female curiousity .
Perhaps this is why I am interested in the skirt becoming an acceptable male fashion.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Postby Brad » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:05 pm

Taj wrote:A perspective I didn't notice as I read the thread; maybe some women are being welcoming when they comment on our skirted appearance. Women tend to bond with each other in sort of a girls club. I see it a lot. The doors to the club are not completely latched against men who are nonthreatening, and out numbered, in environments that tend towards the feminine. My yoga classes are a good example, wherein I've been accepted around and even included in conversations that are typically girl talk and female health issues. It could feel uncomfortable for some men to be taken in as one of the girls, but I think it happens sometimes.

Taj makes an excellent point. I've often been invited to girl talk conversations because of my personal understanding of their experiences. When women I know talk about heels that hurt or pantyhose that slip down, I can be part of the conversation. I'm one of the girls and they feel comfortable with me.
Brad
Distinguished Member

Postby Caultron » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:49 pm

One time I was out hiking with my club and the subject turned to toenails. Care, necessity of trimming before a hike, fungus problems, and so forth. Ugh. But then I realized how this showed what a close friendly group we were; close enough to talk unabashedly about a gross topic like toenails.

And I suspect the same is true of any other usually-forbidden topic, girl talk or other. With mutual confidence and the proper icebreaker, almost any topic becomes acceptable.

I'd still steer away from, " Does this dress make me look fat?" though.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Postby Pdxfashionpioneer » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:06 am

I too have noticed that "Women's Club" phenomenon and felt like my wearing a skirt or dress gave me a day pass to the club.

As to how to take remarks from women, I haven't received any insults disguised as compliments. Quite the contrary, I have a mini-following at the superstore I frequent of shop clerks who watch for me to see what I'm wearing. One of them is particularly interested in my jewelry. Maybe one or two of the pieces I inherited from my late mother would qualify as fine jewelry, the rest is costume jewelry. No matter, she likes it.

But the real telling remark came from a divorcee who said she never spoke to men she met at bars (where we met) but made an exception for me because she felt I was safe (undoubtedly because I was in a dress!).
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Previous

Return to Skirts and Kilts for Men