Is this too feminine?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
dragonslain

Is this too feminine?

Post by dragonslain »

I always see on message boards when the topic of men wearing skirts, that skirts are too “feminine” and would detract from a guys masculinity. Or that if guys started wear skirts people wouldn’t be able to tell men and women apart.

So, I ask you. Do this look feminine or androgynous?
Last edited by dragonslain on Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Nope! That looks, to me to be a pretty decent and conservative turnout. Congratulations 8)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

That rig looks perfectly accceptable to me.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Departed Member

Re: Is this too feminine?

Post by Departed Member »

dragonslain wrote: So, I ask you. Do this look feminine or androgynous?
Neither! Just like a bloke (who just happens to be wearing a bloke's skirt!)! :)
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Looks like a guy in a skirt to me.

But the real question is whether the wearer feels comfortable wearing it. If the wearer is comfortable, both physically and socially, then who cares what anyone else thinks?

You want to wear it, you go ahead. If anyone mistakes you for a girl I reckon they'll get something of a shock when they get a little closer :D

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

Are you kidding? It looks totally masculine. The whole thing looks cohesive and it suits you. Wish that I looked that tough, that's all I can say!
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.
seanhebdo

Is this too feminine?

Post by seanhebdo »

Great look for the PacNW!
Maybe try less "functional" shoes. Dr. Martens or even hiking boots without the safety reflectors.
Keep up the stylish effort!
seanhebdo
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

Looks great! And I would never mistake you for my fairy godmother.

I agree, I'm not a big fan of sneakers if you care about how you look.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Not remotely feminine.

Stu
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Right

Post by Since1982 »

Bob wrote:Looks great! And I would never mistake you for my fairy godmother.
I wouldn't mistake you for a fairy anything..LOLOL

That rig looks very comfy and warm. :D
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
SkirtedViking
Member Extraordinaire

well

Post by SkirtedViking »

You cannot be mistaken for a woman and you look ok with the skirt. But here comes the question why it is not so common among women to bother about their femininity so much as most men do about masculinity and feel probably insecure about that. If a man feels a man on the inside the apparel does not make him more or less man. My opinion...This so called masculinity is the main reason for the lack of fashion freedom, forget about such terms and this statement comes from a guy with a long beard. We should not be expected to be masculine, but if we want to we should be able to be so called masculine, feminine, marcian or whatever as women can, and certainly not like the present situation - a mass doctrine that masculinity is now imposed since every man's early childhood.
There is nothing worse than double standard!
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

Not feminine in the slightest. You have the physique to look macho in a skirt and that denim skirt looks just right on you.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Yes, that gets my vote. It suits you and your build. Cool!
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Is this too feminine?

Post by AMM »

dragonslain wrote:So, I ask you. Does this look feminine or androgynous?
For some reason, this took me back to the days of my youth, when for a man to wear long hair was to declare himself on one side in the culture war that was raging at the time in the USA.

In those days, if you were a guy and you wore long hair, regardless of whether you had a beard, hairy arms, or what, you could pretty well guarrantee that someone (usually male) from the Other Side would accost you with "Hey, are you a boy or a girl?" followed by a snigger, and you counted yourself lucky if it didn't go any further.

Nowadays, at least here in the USA, men from every political direction wear long hair, and I think that in most places, a guy could be dressed in full drag and no one who didn't know him would say much of anything. (There's a guy like that who I see catching the train at 125th street fairly frequently.)
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

A very well thought out outfit, although simple in outset, suits you very well.
I imaginge it may be more difficult getting things right, being a big guy.
You have done very well.
see that you are wearing what looks like tights, if that is the case, great.
Tights is just one more taboe that men have to step over. Tights are for both comfort and looks, and are not gender bound, as some people may insist.
If they are long socks that's ok too. What matters is that you feel comfortable wearing that, and I endorse your decision.

With compliments.
O and there is no way anybody can say it looks feminine.
I imagine the only ones who would say that would be your best mates, joking friendly at you.

Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.