Is this too feminine?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Skirted Viking

Post by Since1982 »

Skirted Viking wrote:why it is not so common among women to bother about their femininity so much as most men do about masculinity and feel probably insecure about that.
Because, as much as it pains me to still feel slightly oppressed, we males STILL don't have the FREEDOM females do. As AMM said, the long hair, when it was first seen on men in the USA, soon after the British Rock and Roll Invasion was definitely something you could not only get beat up over but you could actually get arrested for having it. I know, I was arrested for disorderly conduct, the conduct being "having over the tops of my ears hair". A motorcycle cop, who I'd gone to High School with, told me very loudly, "Get a haircut or get out of town". This was in Fort Lauderdale, Florida where I was raised and at that time lived still with my parents. My dad, a prominent general contractor in Lauderdale, knew the Chief of Police and I didn't have to leave town. My hair at that time was perhaps 1 inch longer than "normal". This is how much of a big thing it was in the early 60's. In that context, skirts on males now is wayyy ahead of where males were with longer than normal hair in 1961. BUT, WE did get over the hair thing, and I have no doubt that we will get over the skirts thing too.. :roll: :roll: :roll:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
crfriend
Master Barista

Hair down to where?

Post by crfriend »

In [the "olden"] days [in the US], if you were a guy and you wore long hair, regardless of whether you had a beard, hairy arms, or what, you could pretty well guarantee that someone (usually male) from the Other Side would accost you with "Hey, are you a boy or a girl?" followed by a snigger, and you counted yourself lucky if it didn't go any further.
How true. I longed for long hair throughout my entire youth, and when I finally "slipped my bonds" I started to grow it in earnest. To this day, I recall the unrelenting cadence of my parents about, "Get a haircut!" when I was still under their roof, and more sadly recall the time when my grand-dad, in a streak of viciousness I never knew he had in him, hurled every insult in the book at me because of it -- just having long hair. I know now that my grand-dad's last tirade was due to the senile dementia (aka "Alzheimer's disease") that had robbed him of rational thought. I wasn't viscerally aware of it at the time. In the midst of that "last tirade" i turned on my heel and walked away. The next time I saw him he was in a pine box -- and this was a great man.

I wonder if we, as a species, are really evolving. I hope that we are, but there's a whole lot of evidence that may show that we're not.
Nowadays, at least here in the USA, men from every political direction wear long hair, and I think that in most places, a guy could be dressed in full drag and no one who didn't know him would say much of anything. (There's a guy like that who I see catching the train at 125th street fairly frequently.)
All-up drag isn't something any of us lot is likely to try any time soon, but it's somewhat heartening that the chap hasn't been beaten into submission or otherwise bullied into "conforming to the norm".

Perhaps there is hope.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
CJFMix

Post by CJFMix »

You look as "a guy in a skirt" to me ...

Nothing androgynous or feminine here ...

You can go public , and be proud of your distinction !!!
When you look good , you can go anywhere !!!
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Doesn't look either fem or androgynous, to my eyes.

-J (about 15 miles east of ya)
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Definitely masculine.

Good job!
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Slightly off topic: Re to:

"Nowadays, at least here in the USA, men from every political direction wear long hair, and I think that in most places, a guy could be dressed in full drag and no one who didn't know him would say much of anything. (There's a guy like that who I see catching the train at 125th street fairly frequently.)"

"All-up drag isn't something any of us lot is likely to try any time soon, but it's somewhat heartening that the chap hasn't been beaten into submission or otherwise bullied into "conforming to the norm"."

I would just say, why beat him up, ( logically because normal people have no cause to ) because then you would have one less interesting person to look at. That's as good a reason as any, ( if only to save from getting beaten up) Men, and women, who present an interesting picture, a picture of interest, being different, are the living artist's palet. Bring colour to an otherwise often very drab dull scene. I myself enjoy there being an enormous variety of people, the people themselves and the way they are dressed.

Men in skirts, bringing "colour " to a drab scene.
(colour also meaning variety, something different)

Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.