Sorry we dont sell skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Adrian

Sorry we dont sell skirts

Post by Adrian »

Being on the large size I'm quite limited to where I can go to buy my skirts. I prefer the high street because you see what your getting rather than the mail order option of hoping it'll be as good as it looks in the picture. So you can imagine my surprise when I went into a womens clothes shop over the weekend and was met by rails upon rails of trousers and jeans! Not a single casual skirt to be seen....anywhere. I did ask and was shown a tiny selection of glam evening skirts and some formal work skirts. Neither were really suitable for my tastes. So I left passing through a large floor area dedicated to trousers for women!!
I want to wear skirts without judgment just as women can wear trousers.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

We don't sell skirts

Post by Peter v »

Yeh, I know what you mean, Didn't you say,
"O I'm sorry, I must be in the men's department, which way to the women's department?" :? :P

The tendency is much the same here in the Netherlands, there is still a small place for skirts, which are still much liked by all, but indeed, the majority is practical pants of all soorts and lengths. Of course pants are practical. and in the fashion scene at the moment. Why shouldn't women want to ride bycicles in pants, not worry about laders in their pantys, about bladder infections and so on. Luckily some women still like to or must still wear skirts.
It's a choice fore men, but also a choice for women, and at the moment women choose ( pushed by fashion) to wear pants.

That has of course the result that skirts are scarce. I have been asking about long ( ankle length ) skirts and they say that they will most likely come, before christmas.

I hope that the fashion for the next year has a revival in skitrts and more a 50 / 50 balance.

As we men of course also don't wish to spend a fortune on skirts, the lack of abundance also makes what we do find more expensive. :cry:

Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
knickerless
Member Extraordinaire

Skirts

Post by knickerless »

Simple solution - try EBay. Skirts don't seem to hold their prices well and you can pick up several in an evening for just a few pounds. If they end up too big or too small just relist them.
If you don't like EBay - try a mail order catalogue - if they don't fit just send them back..............

Nick
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirts

Post by Peter v »

knickerless wrote:Simple solution - try EBay. Skirts don't seem to hold their prices well and you can pick up several in an evening for just a few pounds. If they end up too big or too small just relist them.
If you don't like EBay - try a mail order catalogue - if they don't fit just send them back..............

Nick
That's true, but you only get someon'elses rejects. And there is nothing better than handling and fitting them yourself before buying. I have several skirts from Ebay, strangely enough, many sellers say only skirt, size 40 or so. Then I have to ask what's it made of, what's the real waist size, PRECICELY measured, what's the length, and so on. If measured with care, you can buy the right size and fit for you.

Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

Just curious. What are you guys and gals paying for quality skirts/dresses of the "Office Christmas Party" calibre ? (not the skirt you'd wear taking the dog to the vet) I never go into ladies stores, and so have no clue what rack prices are at now...internet is not reliable for a gauge on this because quality cannot be seen in a picture. Just wondering.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Peter V wrote:
That's true, but you only get someon'elses rejects. And there is nothing better than handling and fitting them yourself before buying. I have several skirts from Ebay, strangely enough, many sellers say only skirt, size 40 or so. Then I have to ask what's it made of, what's the real waist size, PRECICELY measured, what's the length, and so on. If measured with care, you can buy the right size and fit for you.

How true; how true!!!

In almost every case/bid I have had to ASQ (Ask Seller Question) about
the hem length; stretched and unstretched elastic waist measurement or
a fixed waist fastening at the front with zipper - side or back and in some
cases the rise or how the item rests on the waist or hips. The sellers
could very easily save themselves a lot of time and trouble by just putting
such information in the item description. I know my measurements and
can very quickly determine if the item has any chance of fitting.
Sometimes the fabric construction i.e. spandex will give you clue if it will
be worthy of trying/measuring for size.
As for noting womens size i.e. above mentioned size 40 forget it! Whose
size 40 the manufacturer, the seller, what the label says! There is no
common size measurement in the industry! Period!!! Therefore the need
for the ole reliable tape measure. No cutting vanity corners here!
And one last line; the seller should not be so naive as to think that they
are selling exclusively to a woman. Items are sold to women - men
buying for a woman and men buying for themselves!
Just what are these people thinking of?????
alexthebird
Distinguished Member

Re: Sorry we dont sell skirts

Post by alexthebird »

Adrian wrote:So you can imagine my surprise when I went into a womens clothes shop over the weekend and was met by rails upon rails of trousers and jeans! Not a single casual skirt to be seen....anywhere.
I just had the same experience. I was having a stressful couple of weeks at work and needed a little retail therapy. First stop, Macy's (BIG US department store for those of you on the other side of the Atlantic) men's department and there wasn't a single item of any interesting design that wasn't black, grey, white or chocolate brown. NOT ONE.

Next stop, an urban mall nearby. The only skirts in any of the eight stores that sell women's clothes are (a) for "career wear" or (b) are far too young in style for me.

From there, to Philadelphia's main shopping street. Several stores and nothing. The options are frumpy classic (Talbot's if you're American, Sloane Ranger if you're from the UK), H&M (a little juvenile for me) or more career wear.

Six hours later and I bought a belt, three pairs of socks and two gin gimlets.

What's a guy to do?
PatJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by PatJ »

Adrian, your wrote in part, "Being on the large size I'm quite limited to where I can go to buy my skirts."

Try

http://www.denimskirts.com/lodeskre.html

as a website with more than a few skirts. You can order by waist size and length from very long (42 inches) to short (16 inches) and waist sizes from 28 inches through 38 inches.

I purchased a few through them and found their service and quality very good.

PatJ
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

PatJ wrote:Adrian, your wrote in part, "Being on the large size I'm quite limited to where I can go to buy my skirts."

Try

http://www.denimskirts.com/lodeskre.html

as a website with more than a few skirts. You can order by waist size and length from very long (42 inches) to short (16 inches) and waist sizes from 28 inches through 38 inches.

I purchased a few through them and found their service and quality very good.

PatJ
We need more of these sellers. looks really great. Nice selection.

Peter v.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

r.m.anderson wrote:Peter V wrote:

How true; how true!!!

In almost every case/bid I have had to ASQ (Ask Seller Question) about
the hem length; stretched and unstretched elastic waist measurement or
a fixed waist fastening at the front with zipper - side or back and in some
cases the rise or how the item rests on the waist or hips.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't understand. You don't sell your car by advertising "Car"for sale. I really don't understand them.
I don't understand the incoherence with everybodys own sizing. I know it's historically grown that way, but it's like having inches and cm's mixed with each other. :? :( :cry:

Peter v.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

BrotherTailor wrote:Just curious. What are you guys and gals paying for quality skirts/dresses of the "Office Christmas Party" calibre ? (not the skirt you'd wear taking the dog to the vet) I never go into ladies stores, and so have no clue what rack prices are at now...internet is not reliable for a gauge on this because quality cannot be seen in a picture. Just wondering.
In the netherlands, I pay depending on the quality, in euro's between 50 and upwards. The better brands go for 80 to 100 or more euro's. And that's not for suit quality. I don't know what that costs. Between the 25 and 60 euro's there are enough good quality skirts to choose from.

I saw a beautiful suit, was it wearing the woman in it or was she wearing it? She was at the front desk of a large hospital. She was a good looker, :) :D :P and the suit was a grey pin stripe, very nice. I didn't think of it as being originally a male suit at all. Jacket and knee high skirt. I don't remember if there was a gilet. As soon as I saw it I thought, That's what I would like to wear, as a "business"suit. I had forgotten to go to her and ask if it was standard regulation or her own. Must go back and hope to see her again and ask. :wink: Maybe they sell used suits.... :) :)

Peter v
howard

Post by howard »

Usually the best outlet for skirts are charity shops. OK, most are second-hand, but think of it as re-cycling! They often have a huge variety of styles and sizes, and often something there to go with it...a top/waistcoat, belt, bag...everything!!
And it's always no problem to try the stuff on.
Have a look at myspace.com/howard4tatu because one day I might update it.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I Like the streaming music. I opened your site in a new window while I read the skirt cafe posts.
I want to wear skirts without judgment just as women can wear trousers.
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

alexthebird, your experience is not uncommon for women either.

I'm a dancer, and I've long been used to dancewear catalogs with 100 pages of women's clothing and 2 pages of men's clothing. When I made my dance, I figured it would be no problem getting costumes for the women who were going to be in it. Well.. guess again. Like your experience in Philly, I found lots of stuff but for one reason or another, it wasn't what I was looking for.

I guess that's why there are so many outlets that sell women's clothing. Fashion is not at all a "one size fits all" or "one style fits all" kind of deal.
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

If you're looking for a long denim skirt in plus size also try Alloy.com. I got one there made by Revolt - also got some long cord skirts there as well. They have a couple of short skirts in larher sizes as well.
sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia