Wear something green at work today.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Cams

Wear something green at work today.

Post by Cams »

Today my work has declared it "green Day" yes we are an environmentally aware power company. So they have asked employees to wear green to work. I checked the wardrobe last night and the only 2 green things I could find were,

1, A not very green T shirt, might pass
2, A green short skirt (too short on it's own, will need leggings or tights)

What would you wear? What should I wear? I have been with company for over 5 years and have a good relationship with staff and management, everyone is fairly relaxed. Nobody knows my preference for skirts.
Have a nice Skirted Day :)
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

I've got lots of green clothing; work shirts, work trousers etc. No green skirts though. My work doesn't care too much it seems. I work out of my truck on contract, and never see a head office type but twice a year 8) My concern is always the client.
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

What a chance!

Post by ChrisM »

Oh wear the skirt - what a fun opportunity! If it becomes difficult (embarrassing) you can always shrug it off as "Well, I don't really own anything green but I had this..." Better still if it's your wife's, so that you can honestly say "I don't, but my wife did..."

You will get 'points' not only for joining in the spirit of the event in a fun way, but also for having the cojones to do something different.

It's even a better opportunity than, say, and office Halloween costume.

Just my two cents worth!

Chris
Cams

Post by Cams »

Well I am at work now, Wearing pants as usual, but I did bring the skirt with me.

One trouble is, part of our building is a retail store with customers, hmmmm.
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Wear something green at work today.

Post by crfriend »

Cams wrote:Today my work has declared it "green Day" yes we are an environmentally aware power company. So they have asked employees to wear green to work.
Ah, so you're using that definition for "green"!

I'd have definitely gone for the skirt -- you'd have been cooler than the rest of the staff (who would have been wearing trousers) and as a result, the company could have turned the air-conditioning down a notch or two for the building (temperature up, thereby consuming less electricity).

I can see keeping the computer rooms at 68 degrees (Imperial units; pick your empire), but there's no reason whatsoever that the human-inhabited areas have to be that cold during summer (it's springtime in Oz and the temperatures are rising).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Cams

Post by Cams »

I have already tried the push to change clothing regs for staff, based on the less power usage approach, but most men continue to wear suits and ties. I have at least brought my standards down to pants and polo.

Thinking about green day now, I think I should have worn the skirt first thing, arrived in it. I feel now I have lost my chance.

Should have posted the question earlier for the encouragement :D
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Cams wrote:Thinking about green day now, I think I should have worn the skirt first thing, arrived in it. I feel now I have lost my chance.
If my sense of time isn't mistaken, you may have several minutes left in the work-day. Shove the skirt on, and state your point to the "suits".

Beware, however, that this advice is coming from a chap who has several high-quality beers on-board at the moment who is heading off to bed in a few moments..... ;)
Should have posted the question earlier for the encouragement :D
Remember your pals. Sometimes they'll steer ya right, sometimes.... Well you get the drift. :)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Hi there, matey, I.ve lived in Frankston for 14 years now al long time ago :? :( but ausies are pretty open people, so wear the skirt, if they take it seriously, get quickly out of it before you land in the swamp, say it's your joke, and if they are truly interested tell them a little about men in skirts, gee, it's cooler at least.

Missing the beautiful ausie way of life, and I think that men wearing a skirt should go well down under, but you never know for sure.

Although we are constantly manipulating ourselves so that we can wear our skirts and yet not be seen by our fellow workmates andso on, it's just too ridiculess to be real. Hiding all your life from the people around you. Are you a black man in a white society? ( even today there is stil prejudice )
We should not have to hide. it's just another piece of clothing. The sooner other people see that it is worn as such they will realise that it is so. And the only way not to have to keep hiding away in your skirt when the door bel goes, is to wear it in public. So who dares? I do. Do you? ( ps I don't wear skirts at work because i don't have a job at the moment)

It's all up to us, we want to wear skirts, so let's show others that it is normal. Hiding only reasures people that there's something wrong with wearing skirts.

Do what you dare, or don't, and suffer the consequences. Both ways.
But we all know, hiding is suffering.

Friendly greetings down under,
from the Netherlands. Drink a Foster's on me. :wink:

Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

You're more likely to find a green skirt than green trousers, particularly if they (trousers) are made for men. Anything outside of black/grey/brown/blue (muted) or beige is almost impossible to find. If I ever saw red or green trousers I'd probably buy them, simply because of the rarity value.

Some years ago they had a 'wear something green' day where I work - it was just a random colour selection. I wasn't into public skirting then (wish I had been :( ). One guy wore a green kaftan. If they ever repeat that sort of day, I'd certainly go for it and wear an appropriately coloured skirt or kilt - or sarong :D

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.