Hiking in a skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
owen
Member Extraordinaire

Hiking in a skirt

Post by owen »

My first public skirt-wearing happened yesterday.

I had long worn skirts around the house, and occasionally outside at nighttime when I knew nobody would see, but never in public. Recently though, after buying a hiking skirt, a light grey knee-length wrap skirt with loads of pockets, I came to realise that from a distance it looks just like baggy shorts, and up close - well it is hiking equipment isn't it? So I've been getting a bit more daring with it, popping out to the car or the bins in semi-daylight once or twice a week.

Then when I bought a load more new hiking gear - tent, boots, and more - I knew the time had come to include the skirt in my regular hiking kit and put it to the test along with the rest, no holds barred.

I live in Dublin city (Ireland), and 50km to the south is the Wicklow Mountains range - rolling hills, max height about 900m, nice soft ground for hiking and camping, when it's not raining too much. This week has been mixed, with periods of sunshine interrupted by heavy showers, about 17C overall, so I reckoned this would be a great opportunity to test my gear, camping overnight midweek in the hills and doing a bit of hiking on both days.

So after loading the gear into my car and driving off, I waited until I was well outside Dublin before pulling into a petrol station and discreetly changing into the skirt (old habits die hard!) and drove on into the Wicklow hills. My first human contact was when I stopped outside a house to get rid of my trousers into the bottom of the boot of my car. While I was doing that the lady of the house and her young daughter came over and asked was I OK; I said thanks but I'm just dumping some rubbish where it belongs, we exchanged greetings and they left. There was a wall between us so I don't think they noticed the skirt. It was a totally relaxing experience, but before yesterday that sort of encounter would have given me a heart attack! A good omen.

Eventually I arrived at the start of the route I had mapped out. I parked beside a small farmhouse, meeting nobody, and started up the hill. Those old trousers were now history; there was no escape from the skirt and I felt really happy that the day had finally arrived. The physical feeling was also great; I wore nothing underneath and it felt fantastic in the warm sunshine and cool breeze, like being naked and warm at the same time, the best of both worlds! Met a young couple on the way, friendly greetings all round, no comments on the obvious skirt. Eventually I spotted a nice little patch of soft grass for my tent, a short distance from the track, so I went over and pitched, started up my little stove, and relaxed over tea and sandwiches and a hiking guidebook to plan my next trouserless outing.

After tea it was still bright though getting cool, so I decided to do a quick hike, leaving my gear in the tent. I put on a pair of briefs under the skirt for warmth and set on up. It felt even better with just a sweatshirt, skirt and boots; I no longer needed the crutch of a full backpacking kit to justify the skirt. On the way back I met a couple of lads pushing their bikes up the rough uphill track. I didn't ask why; we just exchanged friendly greetings and went on our ways. Again no notice taken of a man in a skirt. If they had cast aspersions I would probably have remarked on the gayness of their skintight cycling shorts!

That night over hot whiskey and a bar of chocolate I watched the sun go down until turning in at about 11 o'clock. Woke up at about 5 after a really good sleep, but it was dull and cloudy so I stayed in my sleeping bag for another hour until the clouds were breaking up and the sun coming out again. Another great day in store! I relaxed over breakfast until 8 and then set off on another hike, meeting nobody on the way. When I arrived back and started taking up the tent, a girl passed on the track and we said our quick hellos from a distance; I'm sure it was a local girl that I've half-known for a long time. I wonder did she recognise me? Did she notice the skirt? Who cares? Not me anymore. That skirt has made me free and I am now happy to have it as a central part of my kit for everyone to see.

Eventually I arrived back down at the car and started loading my gear back in. The farmer passed by in his battered old tractor; we exchanged friendly salutes. A guy in a skirt didn't seem to bother him, a traditional 60-year-old countryman.

So I started driving home, but felt hungry. The local village was getting closer. Would I or wouldn't I? The village is a popular tourist stop so there would be plenty of people around. In the end the decision was easy; without even thinking about it I just parked, crossed the road through the traffic, and strolled into the shop, buying a cup of tea and a sandwich there. I sat on a bench outside and ate slowly, watching the world go by. That I was wearing a skirt was obvious to everybody, but again, the emerald smile did not wane; everybody was as courteous and friendly as usual.

I arrrived back in Dublin and drove through the city in heavy traffic. Normally I'm wary of wearing a skirt while driving in daylight in the city, as van drivers and bus passengers can easily look down and see what I'm wearing. But now I don't care any more, because nobody else seems to care. I arrived back home around lunchtime, unloaded my gear and strolled into the house in full daylight. The trousers stayed in the car boot. Good riddance to them.
howard

Post by howard »

Great post, but it only re-emphasises what we already knew, blokes in skirts is quite acceptable. Out in the country I wouldn't have thought anyone would "bother" at all. If everybody who wanted to would simply get on with it then forums like this would be purposeless!

I'd be interested to know how many blokes there are who are nudist/naturist compared with those who do wear skirts in public. I have been on country walks nude, and when someone approaches, simply hooked on a wrap-round skirt (and the same for nude beaches when one sunbathes/swims nude, but puts on a wrap-round to go to the bar/cafe etc).
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

I enjoyed reading about your camping trip in a skirt. The main thing is that you actually just did it - in that you left the trousers in your car and strode off in your skirt. Next time it will be easier, as you will have more confidence.

I'm hoping to go camping myself (skirted) in the next month or so - around the Devon area - but the weather in England has been very bad this year and so I'm not very optimistic about it.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
MtnBiker
Distinguished Member

Post by MtnBiker »

Thanks for this excellent post! It's true, a man in a skirt is totally acceptable.

And I think the main reason is that people really just do not care what you have on!
Milfmog

Re: Hiking in a skirt

Post by Milfmog »

owen wrote:My first public skirt-wearing happened yesterday.
Congratulations on breaking your duck, feels good, doesn't it?
owen wrote:...a hiking skirt, a light grey knee-length wrap skirt with loads of pockets
Sounds like the sort of thing I'm looking for, a really practical skirt; where did you get it?
owen wrote:If they had cast aspersions I would probably have remarked on the gayness of their skintight cycling shorts!
I'd caution against confrontational responses; all that happens is that everyone gets worked up. It's far better to stay cheerful and jokey about any comments if you can. That way you don't give in to bullying, spoil your own day or risk escalating the situation. What's more when they find that they have not got you to rise to the bait they will usually just stop.
owen wrote:The trousers stayed in the car boot. Good riddance to them.
:D

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

I generally go hiking in a skirt - usually a brown cargo-type skirt I bought from Next. Nobody gives me a second glance. It's just not an issue.
I have been on country walks nude, and when someone approaches, simply hooked on a wrap-round skirt.
howard - I'm glad you are considerate enough to cover up when someone approaches - keep doing it!!! A few years ago I encountered a couple of nudists who weren't so thoughtful as you and I gave them a piece of my mind in no uncertain terms. They didn't cover up even then and the family behind me on the path shouted out that they were dirty perverts and the man in the group - a big bloke - actually threatened to punch one of the nudists' lights out! It would have served him right if he had.

Stu
ben4527

hi all

Post by ben4527 »

hello all,Im new to this site and have enjoyed reading the messages over the last few weeks,yes I also took the brave step and wore a kilt to Hull on the transpenine express.

As its a kilt I guess it wouldnt attract as much attention maybe as a plain skirt,due to Scottish tradition,expectations etc,but I guess wearing it in yorkshire, its a bit unusual. However like you I received no funny comments or odd looks at all and felt quite at home in it in public after a while,well done and continue happy hiking in your skirt,

ben :)
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

hello all,Im new to this site and have enjoyed reading the messages over the last few weeks,yes I also took the brave step and wore a kilt to Hull on the transpenine express.
Hello Ben - welcome to this forum. Well done to you for taking the plunge and wearing a skirted garment out in the world. I guess that wearing a kilt is a great way of "testing the water" as kilts and kilt-type garments are pretty much broadly accepted these days, so anyone wearing one for the first time should be able to feel fairly comfortable around other people.

Hope you continue to enjoy being unbifurcated! :)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
owen
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hiking in a skirt

Post by owen »

Milfmog wrote:Sounds like the sort of thing I'm looking for, a really practical skirt; where did you get it?
Got it on EBay. Most of the outdoor clothing manufacturers seem to produce practical skirts like that, though the number seems to be reducing as women desert skirts in their droves. Until recently, Mountain Hardwear used to produce what they called a Men's Mountain Kilt; in reality it was just an unpleated wrap skirt with lots of practical features. Pity it's not around anymore. There's also the Macabi Skirt, a long loose adventure skirt, which is produced in men's and women's versions.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Thanks Owen. I guess I'll just have to keep looking.

I found one skirt (in a shop called Fat Face) which is perfect fabric, length and cut and even wraps left over right but I could really do with a few more pockets. Does the skirt you bought have a manufacturers label in it? A brand name might narrow the search down a bit.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
owen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by owen »

The skirt I have is made by Craghoppers, but sadly they don't seem to do skirts any more. However and happily, it seems I was wrong about the Mountain Hardwear skirt which is very similar. It's still there on the site (mountainhardwear.com), and in the men's section!
beverlonian

Post by beverlonian »

I have a Mountain Hardware "kilt" (which it is not) but have never worn it. When hiking I usually wear a kilt and find this so comfortable. I don't know if I've got the "bottle" to wear the M-H skirt although I can see the plus points in that it would be just as comfortable, probably more practical (pockets) and very light-weight (ideal for the warmer summer weather - those in the UK may ask what is that?). It may be that in this part of the world (rural and conservative) the kilt is recognised as, although unusual, masculine-apparell, whereas the M-H skirt would not be. I did wear my utilikilt out once but this drew some "what-on-earth-is-he-wearing" looks: again I assume not recognised as masculine-apparell.
Joe

There are many ways to get from A to B. It's not the destination, it's the journey that counts.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Beverlonian

I live about 40 miles from you in a tough part of South Yorkshire - it's conservative but in quite a different way to where you are. I hike in a denim skirt, either a brown one from Next or a blue one from M&S. Never a murmur - hardly a sideways glance. Much as I like the look of Utilikilts, I can see why they would attract attention - they are formidable looking garments!

So long as you take care over the style and what you team it up with, you'll be practically invisible, even in a city! I wore a plain denim skirt in York a few weeks ago - zero reaction.

Besides - do you really care that much about what complete strangers may think?

Stu
MtnBiker
Distinguished Member

Post by MtnBiker »

I have 2 of the Mountain Hardwear hiking kilts and love them. They may just be my most favorite garment. I wear mine often. We live in quite the fancy neighborhood and I frequently take walks here wearing the hiking kilt. I swear, people either just do not care or do not notice. I've stopped to talk to many neighbors with nary a comment.

But they really are best for hiking. I hike often and almost always wear one of these. $50 well spent.