The Shirt Dress: The Menswear Trend's Latest Look

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Hallo guys and .. Gals?
What's the difference between a dress and a shirt dress?
And i think that a dress probably is a very comfortable thing to wear especially in the summer. I think it should also be part of the emancipation of MEN and also get it's share of attention. Although it is possible that many men don't see it as a manly clothing. But then again a skirt isn't either. No it is... :? :P :P

I would surely love the freedom of wearing a dress. And it must be seen as a unisex piece of clothing, just as all other clothing can be. But of course this site is dedicated to focussing on the manly side of wearing skirts, so dresses don't fit very well in that. Possibly more for freedom dressers.

Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
DavidsSkirts

Post by DavidsSkirts »

I (too?) would like to see a more masculine style of dress ( maybe in a 'pinafore', 'skirtall' or 'kaftan' style..) with a more male-oriented bodice/shirt section (flatter, looser, more shapeless/looser?..) to it - it could be more practical in hot weather (no restricted waist..), and for working in...

[/i]
David...
Lake Macquarie (aka paradise..); NSW; Australia.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Generally, a shirtdress is a type of dress based on a man's shirt. Just think of it as a shirt with the shirttails extended to whatever hemlength you like.

Given that, a number of variations can be made. The buttons can go all the way to the hem or not. The sleeves can be long short or missign. THere can be a placket for the buttons or not. There can be a shoulder yoke or not.

There is no waist seam. A dress with a shirt type top joined by a seam to a skirt (usually all the same fabric) is known as a shirtwaist.

Hope that I haven't added to the confusion
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

Here's a pattern, that while picturing a lady, I think it could be easily adjusted to a man's physique with only slight alterations/fabric selection...like a tan khaki? Check out http://www.oldpatterns.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

THat is what I would call a shirtwaist and yes, it could be adjusted.

This is more along the line of what I consider a shirtdress
Notice the two illustrations to the right. The green one towards the back has buttons down to the hem. The red one towards the front has buttons to the waist
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raakone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Raakone »

I like them, especially the green and the yellow. A masculine version of this garment must be created. I'd imagine it would be very comfortable to wear.
~Ra'akone
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Those are interesting patterns. The web-site mentioned is more interesting still!

My personal notion of a man's "shirt dress" would be a top that's pretty much identical to a standard male dress shirt (button-down optional), but reasonably well fitted to the body, and then flaring at a moderate angle to whereever the wearer might like the hem to be. I'm given to understand that there can be problems with the fullness and flare in a classic A-line rig, and that to "get the flare right" one might have to resort to a gored skirt (essentially turning the design into a shirtwaist), but that those problems can be overcome.

Another avenue worth pursuing, based on my brief perusal of "oldpatterns.com", might be the "jumper" look worn with a classic man's shirt underneath. Some of the jumpers shown, especially those with a moderate "V" front might work quite well for a man.

Out of curiosity, what's the current thoughts about shirts with full (read, "puffy") sleeves? I happen to like them -- a lot -- but that's just me. Can they still work for guys after the infamous "Seinfeld episode"?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

crfriend wrote:Those are interesting patterns. The web-site mentioned is more interesting still!

My personal notion of a man's "shirt dress" would be a top that's pretty much identical to a standard male dress shirt (button-down optional), but reasonably well fitted to the body, and then flaring at a moderate angle to whereever the wearer might like the hem to be. I'm given to understand that there can be problems with the fullness and flare in a classic A-line rig, and that to "get the flare right" one might have to resort to a gored skirt (essentially turning the design into a shirtwaist), but that those problems can be overcome.

Another avenue worth pursuing, based on my brief perusal of "oldpatterns.com", might be the "jumper" look worn with a classic man's shirt underneath. Some of the jumpers shown, especially those with a moderate "V" front might work quite well for a man.

Out of curiosity, what's the current thoughts about shirts with full (read, "puffy") sleeves? I happen to like them -- a lot -- but that's just me. Can they still work for guys after the infamous "Seinfeld episode"?

I don't know anything about seinfeld, and by the way, are we drifting too far away from MEN,s skirts / Men in skirts? I personally think not, but..
I think that noe the step has been taken, there is no sense in stopping at skirts alone. I think that dresses, as dresses or shirt dresses whatever should be a great summer thing to wear, if not all year round. They have no restrictive waist, and that i imagine can be very comfortable. And give even more felling of freedom. Probably feels like walking naked, yet nobody can see anything.

About the blouses, I've seen rather "old fashioned" blouses, looking like the blouses which also women wear ( they wear everything) as official blouses to wear with kilts. So why not have some new wind blow through the dusty men's fashion, be inventive, and bring some new things into it. Like I have said before, without wanting to look like a woman, in women's fashion there are so many good ideas to be used for mens fashion, (Ideas that probably originated from men's fashion any way) especially regarding what to wear with skirts.

As always, the people ( MEN ) who are satisfied with what they have now, well go ahead as before. Don't change. No one's gonna make you do anything. But for the rest of us, let us not denie us the golden opportunity to expand the possibilitys which we have before us.

It is quite interesting how often women's clothing is labelled, as if to say, this garment is a male garment, but now changed to show that it is meant to be worn by women. Like "women's" skirts. If all skirts were previous to us wearing them now, all for women only, why then label them "women's"?

That's because skirts always have been for both sexes, no wrongly stated, for everybody.

So who's gonna get sewing and make some NORMAL clothing suitable for the male posture, on the basis of dresses / shirt dresses, which is the next step to take, once men have worn a skirt. Just think about a very manly lumberjack shirt, only the blok pattern going on into the skirt part underneath, all in one garment.

Or would men feel "naked" wearing a dress, and it being so new to them that it would be too much to take in in one day, or longer... :?

I'm not saying that men should wear dresses, but it is a logical step after taking the step to free yourself from pants only. And hallo, don't shy away because they are called "dresses" well, men wear "skirts"now, so why not think of dresses in the same way as skirts.

We are starting a clothing revolution, after it died in the seventies, now we're back.

We are on a winning streek, let's get while the getting's good. For the guys who don't like a model, pattern, colour of a skirt or dress, well you're FREE to choose out of the available products. We men don't have to look like women, no we are standing up for the right to wear what we want.

Diverstity. I'm glad there are men out there who see opportunity in different clothing.

Think of it like riding a bycicle. Tighten the handlebars in a straigh out position, and you can't ride the bike. Only by manoevring left / right, even minutely can you steer to the way you want to go. Or like having one good car, make and model for everybody. Not every body wants the same car, and if you have the best, how can it stand out if all the others are the same as yours?

That's the same with fashion. Bij having a large diversity of styles etc, of skirts, and perhaps dresses, we can choose out of them what suits us individually. That's better than having only a handful of skirts which may be very "manly" but have the same effect as the jeans pants. The pants are made by different manufacturers, but essentially look practically all the same. That's not how skirts and......should be.

So enough enthousisame for now.

Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/YakDiver/thobe.jpg

would this not be more excepted you get the same freedom ie walking naked without all the hassel[/img]
knickerless
Member Extraordinaire

shirt dresses

Post by knickerless »

I think they are an excellent idea. You could still wear a tie and a belt. They would be great for work and could eb worn with boots.

Nick
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Here's an idea for the sewers: Start with Simplicity pattern #7030. It is a traditional man's dress shirt with long sleeves.

Adjust the length of the shirt to knee length allowing extra for a hem. You will need to widen the shirt to accomodate your hip measurement and flare out as much as you like. Maintain a straight hem and not shirttails.

In order to get a nice fit, you will need to use double ended darts, two in back and two in front. The widest part of the dart will be at the waistline.

You should end up with a shirtdress that is cut to a man's posture and proportion.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

RichardA wrote:http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/YakDiver/thobe.jpg

would this not be more excepted you get the same freedom ie walking naked without all the hassel[/img]
Hallo Richard, why not? We ( meaning most men) are too scared to venture outside of the "box"which men are supposed to stay inside. Such a dress would really be very comfortable to wear in warmer parts ie in the summer.
No more sweat problems around the waist. Nice and airy. It really is quite ridiculess that men don't have practical ( summer ) wear like that to wear. Shorts are just a shorter version of the longer summer torture clothing when compared with the free shirt. Of course there are exceptions to where they can be worn, like when you ride a bycicle (I live in the Netherlands and ride my bycicle a lot.) But maybe not such a problem in the US.

There is nothing girly about this sort of garment, as also many other dresses, so why don't we have them? Where is the problem?

Peter v.
Raakone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Raakone »

I really like the idea of men's shirt dresses. And they should be available in diferent styles, I hope. It's getting cooler here, but in the summer....it would be a nice thing to wear. Just a shirt-dress and sandals, and I'm comfy and covered (I wonder if they'll make a version with additional pockets or something?)
~Ra'akone
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

(I wonder if they'll make a version with additional pockets or something?)
-------------------------------------------------------------

Try a shop coat...lab coat... 8)

There are tons of great ladies patterns for skirts, jumpers, shirtdresses, etc with nice big pockets almost like a wraparound apron. It is a challenge to do the translating into male mode. I think that if the general public were passively exposed to images of men in skirts (like billboards/commercials/mannequins in stores) it would loosen them up, soften opinions maybe? We all wear skirts around the house, and become so used to them that it is easy to lose the sense of "differentness" that seems to afflict most folks and makes them unsettled when they see us.
I don't know whether this hangup with "abnormal" things will ever change in my lifetime. Until the public perception shifts from startled incredulity to benign acceptance, it will be a difficult path for us. The least we can do is present ourselves as "normal" healthy and "safe" individuals....hopefully losing the negative "pervert" classification that automatically gets plastered against anyone who goes against the accepted norms in dress.
How far can we go before we are labelled a transvestite? It is a struggle because no casual observer can read our thoughts/intentions.

Isn't it a pickle to be a guy...? :?
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

BrotherTailor wrote:I think that if the general public were passively exposed to images of men in skirts (like billboards/commercials/mannequins in stores) it would loosen them up, soften opinions maybe?
Which is why we need to get out and about as men in skirts, to achieve just that.

Anyone seen the news footage from Burma? There appeared to be a few 'men in skirts' in the demos. Do they wear sarongs (or equivalent) in Burma?

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.