I finally wore a skirt in public

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Re: I finally wore a skirt in public

Post by Jim »

rode_kater wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:17 pm A tip if you're want to try out lots of styles quickly; find a large second hand clothing store and just browse the racks. They won't have just the latest fashion but all sorts of stuff. And it won't break the bank for near misses.
I did that yesterday. See my post under Jim's Looks. viewtopic.php?p=259237#p259237
DrFishnets

Post by DrFishnets »

Midas wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:01 pmI’ll second that. You will be self conscious at first but that passes quickly.
I do still feel self conscious going out in a skirt but I know it will pass. I remember the first time going out in leggings I nearly had a panic attack when I opened the front door to go out but now I have no problem and it’s just like the same way I feel when wearing men’s clothes. The only drawback is I get paranoid and negative thoughts in my head that some clown might take a photo and post it on social media “weirdo in skirt”.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

DrFishnets wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:15 pm I do still feel self conscious going out in a skirt but I know it will pass. I remember the first time going out in leggings I nearly had a panic attack when I opened the front door to go out but now I have no problem and it’s just like the same way I feel when wearing men’s clothes.
Keep on going out and it will become second nature to you. I only think of which skirt I want to wear in a morning, not whether I want to wear one. I know I am extreme, but once wearing a skirt is easy, you will then have a better choice each morning and not decided by your fears.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Well done! Wearing in public is a great milestone to reach. Things will get easier over time. Myself, and others on here, have found that the vast majority of people either don’t notice, or don’t react if they do notice what you’re wearing.
DrFishnets

Post by DrFishnets »

Thanks for the heads up.

I’ve decided to buy online from Shein. They sell plus size skirts and dresses which look really good and they are an affordable price. I bought myself a black pinafore dress which looks lovely.

https://www.shein.co.uk/SHEIN-EZwear-Pl ... 33756.html

They sell many other styles of skirts. My partner couldn’t come into town to shop for skirts but she has an account with Shein.

https://www.shein.co.uk/SHEIN-Frenchy-P ... 91245.html
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

DrFishnets wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:02 amI’ve decided to buy online from Shein. They sell plus size skirts and dresses which look really good
and they are an affordable price. I bought myself a black pinafore dress which looks lovely.
I wish you well with your purchases but, use extreme CAUTION ordering from Shein.
I got burned by them. Got the medal to prove it. Their sizing is way off base. To be safe,
get ACTUAL MEASUREMENTS of the garments from them :!:

Just my $.02 worth :)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

DrFishnets wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:02 am Thanks for the heads up.

I’ve decided to buy online from Shein. They sell plus size skirts and dresses which look really good and they are an affordable price. I bought myself a black pinafore dress which looks lovely.

https://www.shein.co.uk/SHEIN-EZwear-Pl ... 33756.html
It does look lovely, but I have to also caution about Shein. Apparently what they do is copy photos from other companies and cut off the models head. When you order they essentially get someone to make it based on the picture, which means sometimes the sizing or even the materials are off.

But, if you get something that works for you, great!
papato15

Post by papato15 »

It really does get easier to go out skirted. I was always a "closeted" skirt and dress wearer. I would put on a skirt and hide out in my work shop and then have to put pants back on to go inside the house. After getting used to going out skirted, I no longer need to hide. But I unfortunately can't openly wear skirts at home.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

papato15 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:02 pm It really does get easier to go out skirted. I was always a "closeted" skirt and dress wearer. I would put on a skirt and hide out in my work shop and then have to put pants back on to go inside the house. After getting used to going out skirted, I no longer need to hide. But I unfortunately can't openly wear skirts at home.
That must be difficult Papato. Does your partner know you go out ?
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Uncle Al wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:16 pm Their sizing is way off base. To be safe,
get ACTUAL MEASUREMENTS of the garments from them :!:

Just my $.02 worth :)
I have purchased a few mini skirts and a cotton dress that I use as a night shirt from SHEIN. With most clothing items, when you click on a size you will get the actual measurements which I found to be accurate most of the time. If in doubt you can read some of the feedback which will give you an idea if it runs small or large. My main criticsms are that it is all from China, probably underpaid labour, and too much plastic packaging.
My name is Anthony, please accept me for the person that I am.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

I compltely concur with you about Shein, denimini. I've purchased once before to discover about how ethically bad it is. From the 5 skirts I bought only one did not fit because the waist was 5 cm smaller than indicated in the sizing chart.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

DrFishnets wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:33 pm I finally did it. I went into town today wearing a pleated black skirt, black tights ... decided to ditch the long black coat and show off the skirt in public.

Everything was fine in town and nobody batted an eyelid though I noticed a woman looking at me with an expression in her face that she found what I was wearing very interesting but there was no grins. I did my shopping as usual and everything was good.

When I got home I felt a buzz and felt so proud of myself. I mentioned this to my partner and she was over the moon and told me that she is proud of me.
Congratulations, Dr F! The first time out is the most difficult. Each time after that it gets easier. With persistence you'll eventually reach the point where you literally think nothing of it. It's no more remarkable than if you wore trousers.

You are very fortunate to have such a supportive partner. There aren't many of them about!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair