I finally wore a skirt in public

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
DrFishnets

I finally wore a skirt in public

Post by DrFishnets »

I finally did it. I went into town today wearing a pleated black skirt, black tights, a short black bomber jacket and walking shoes. Usually I wear them under a long black coat but decided to ditch the long black coat and show off the skirt in public.

Everything was fine in town and nobody batted an eyelid though I noticed a woman looking at me with an expression in her face that she found what I was wearing very interesting but there was no grins. I did my shopping as usual and everything was good.

When I got home I felt a buzz and felt so proud of myself. I mentioned this to my partner and she was over the moon and told me that she is proud of me. My partner is a tomboy and wears male clothes all the time and we both understand each other when it comes to clothes. We both believe clothes should be shared between the sexes be it pants, jeans, shirts, skirts, dresses, frocks tights etc.

I think another reason I wore a skirt was by reading the posts on this forum which were reassuring and at 51 I’m starting to not give a **** what people think anyway.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Re: I finally wore a skirt in public

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Well done! It's so good to have support, and I hope you increase in confidence.
DrFishnets

Post by DrFishnets »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:47 pm Well done! It's so good to have support, and I hope you increase in confidence.
Thanks. I forgot to mention that I even walked past a group of high school kids without any reaction from them which is surprising considering those high school kids can be very judgemental but they were fine.

I am fortunate with my partner because I know a lot of women would disapprove of their partner or husband dressing up in skirts. I am so happy she is open minded about things like that.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

DrFishnets wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:33 pm I finally did it. I went into town today wearing a pleated black skirt, black tights, a short black bomber jacket and walking shoes. Usually I wear them under a long black coat but decided to ditch the long black coat and show off the skirt in public.

Everything was fine in town and nobody batted an eyelid though I noticed a woman looking at me with an expression in her face that she found what I was wearing very interesting but there was no grins. I did my shopping as usual and everything was good.

When I got home I felt a buzz and felt so proud of myself. I mentioned this to my partner and she was over the moon and told me that she is proud of me. My partner is a tomboy and wears male clothes all the time and we both understand each other when it comes to clothes. We both believe clothes should be shared between the sexes be it pants, jeans, shirts, skirts, dresses, frocks tights etc.

I think another reason I wore a skirt was by reading the posts on this forum which were reassuring and at 51 I’m starting to not give a **** what people think anyway.
I am so pleased that you had a good experience. You are also so fortunate to have a partner who encourages you. If she is anything like my wife, she will get pleasure in seeing you so happy being free.

The best thing with people who do notice you, is to hold your head up and smile at them. Sometimes they will smile back, other times just look away. The more skirting you do the easier it will be come and the more confidence you will get.

I think the high school kids have seen a lot more weird stuff than an a man in a skirt so I am not surprised they ignored you. The thing to remember is that you are doing nothing wrong and you have the right to wear whatever you like.

The thing stopping you skirting more is inside your own head. Nobody else is stopping you. The more you do, the more you will enjoy your skirting and after a life of trouser wearing, there is a lot of catching up on the skirting front.

Well done for making the first of many steps out. You will have to come to one of the Skirt cafe meet-ups and meet other MIS.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
DrFishnets

Post by DrFishnets »

Mouse wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:19 pm
DrFishnets wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:33 pm I finally did it. I went into town today wearing a pleated black skirt, black tights, a short black bomber jacket and walking shoes. Usually I wear them under a long black coat but decided to ditch the long black coat and show off the skirt in public.

I am so pleased that you had a good experience. You are also so fortunate to have a partner who encourages you. If she is anything like my wife, she will get pleasure in seeing you so happy being free.

The best thing with people who do notice you, is to hold your head up and smile at them. Sometimes they will smile back, other times just look away. The more skirting you do the easier it will be come and the more confidence you will get.

I think the high school kids have seen a lot more weird stuff than an a man in a skirt so I am not surprised they ignored you. The thing to remember is that you are doing nothing wrong and you have the right to wear whatever you like.

The thing stopping you skirting more is inside your own head. Nobody else is stopping you. The more you do, the more you will enjoy your skirting and after a life of trouser wearing, there is a lot of catching up on the skirting front.

Well done for making the first of many steps out. You will have to come to one of the Skirt cafe meet-ups and meet other MIS.
Thanks for your reply. Ever since joining this forum it’s been great reading posts from yourself and other skirters and it made me realise there is nothing wrong with men wearing skirts, dresses, tights and even stockings.

You are right when you say what’s stopping me doing it more is inside my own head. My partner told me she will take me shopping for skirts and dresses but with me being a big guy it’s difficult getting size 18 to 20 skirts and dresses and it’s difficult getting size 11 women’s shoes. I am on a diet just now so hoping to loose the big belly to look good in skirts and dresses.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

DrFishnets wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:28 pm Thanks for your reply. Ever since joining this forum it’s been great reading posts from yourself and other skirters and it made me realise there is nothing wrong with men wearing skirts, dresses, tights and even stockings.

You are right when you say what’s stopping me doing it more is inside my own head. My partner told me she will take me shopping for skirts and dresses but with me being a big guy it’s difficult getting size 18 to 20 skirts and dresses and it’s difficult getting size 11 women’s shoes. I am on a diet just now so hoping to loose the big belly to look good in skirts and dresses.
I am not sure what style of shoes or boots you are looking for, but I use the Pleaser shoe company for my high heels. They have a sub brand pink-label where they make a range of women's shoes in larger sizes for who ever needs them. The sizes are American women sizing so a uk 11 is probably a us women 14 or 15. You will have to work out what fits your feet best.
https://pleasershoes.com/pages/pleaser-pink-label

The other shoe company I have a lot of are Dr Martens, available in a range of sizes. https://www.drmartens.com/uk/en_gb/mens/c/02000000

And these are available in a UK11 https://www.converse.com/uk/en/shop/p/c ... 347C&cgid= I have some http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtop ... 66#p257066 and I am 60

There are big women as well, so you should be fine in finding skirts at 18 or 20. I buy a lot of stuff on line, such as stockings, tights, suspender belts, skirts.

I think you will have a lot of fun and may be you find a new interest in clothes which you didn't have when all you could choose was trousers.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

that feeling when you realize no one in the general public mind, yes.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Congratulations! It gets easier every time you go out.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

DrFishnets wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:28 pm

Thanks for your reply. Ever since joining this forum it’s been great reading posts from yourself and other skirters and it made me realise there is nothing wrong with men wearing skirts, dresses, tights and even stockings.

Do you mean size 11 US or size 11UK women's shoes? I wear size 11 US and have no problem. Can get them almost anywhere.
DrFishnets

Post by DrFishnets »

Mouse wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:01 pm
DrFishnets wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:28 pm Thanks for your reply. Ever since joining this forum it’s been great reading posts from yourself and other skirters and it made me realise there is nothing wrong with men wearing skirts, dresses, tights and even stockings.

I am not sure what style of shoes or boots you are looking for, but I use the Pleaser shoe company for my high heels. They have a sub brand pink-label where they make a range of women's shoes in larger sizes for who ever needs them. The sizes are American women sizing so a uk 11 is probably a us women 14 or 15. You will have to work out what fits your feet best.
https://pleasershoes.com/pages/pleaser-pink-label

The other shoe company I have a lot of are Dr Martens, available in a range of sizes. https://www.drmartens.com/uk/en_gb/mens/c/02000000

And these are available in a UK11 https://www.converse.com/uk/en/shop/p/c ... 347C&cgid= I have some http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtop ... 66#p257066 and I am 60

There are big women as well, so you should be fine in finding skirts at 18 or 20. I buy a lot of stuff on line, such as stockings, tights, suspender belts, skirts.

I think you will have a lot of fun and may be you find a new interest in clothes which you didn't have when all you could choose was trousers.
Those are really nice shoes. The shoes you are wearing are very nice too. I would have to loose weight before I think of wearing high heels.

I really like knee high boots and bought a pair of men’s knee high country boots last year. However I have problems getting my heel past the mid section of the boot to get them on.
DrFishnets

Post by DrFishnets »

jamie001 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:54 am
DrFishnets wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:28 pm

Do you mean size 11 US or size 11UK women's shoes? I wear size 11 US and have no problem. Can get them almost anywhere.
What I meant to say was that I wear UK men’s size 11 shoes but I’m looking for the equivalent size in women’s shoes.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Good Day all!
There seems to be a problem with quoting here. :( Our Gracious Moderator CR Friend has given several very good lessons on how to properly quote messages. :D
Can we not try to use them when we quote other messages? :?: :) It would make reading a lot easier and faster on the forum. :ugeek:

Thank you for your patience!! :thumright: :thumright: :thumright:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

[quote="Fred in Skirts" post_id=259121 time=1714687442 user_id=35025
Good Day all!
There seems to be a problem with quoting here. :( Our Gracious Moderator CR Friend has given several very good lessons on how to properly quote messages. :D
Can we not try to use them when we quote other messages? :?: :) It would make reading a lot easier and faster on the forum. :ugeek:

Thank you for your patience!! :thumright: :thumright: :thumright:
[/quote]
I agree!

(sorry, had to)
Last edited by Uncle Al on Fri May 03, 2024 6:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: I goofed
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

Coder wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:12 am (sorry, had to)
🤣🤣🤣
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Ozdelights wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:46 am
Coder wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:12 am (sorry, had to)
🤣🤣🤣
It seems someone corrected my intentional bad quote, thus robbing it of the humor it provided.