A beautiful skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

A beautiful skirt

Post by Barleymower »

Screenshot_20240326_211648_eBay.jpg
Just found this, it looks really lovely. I'm sorely tempted but at £70 second hand. Boo.
It's much bigger that it looks, the waist looks tiny but they say it's 500mm and a 1m long
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A beautiful skirt

Post by JohnH »

500 millimeter waist? That's tiny. In horse-and-buggy colonial units it's 19.7 inches

John
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

JohnH wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:05 pm 500 millimeter waist? That's tiny. In horse-and-buggy colonial units it's 19.7 inches

John
John, don't consider myself thin with a 17" inch waist ie 36" all the way around.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Even at 4AM in the morning, 19.7 X 2 equals something like 39.4 which is about a meter. Not slim/thin. Looks elastic though and would hold up well around a 34-36 inch waist. Looks like it's about 22" to the hem also, which is modest enough.

Scarlet O'Hara from 'Gone with the Wind' had a 17" waist as a young girl, according to the story. Now that's outrageously slim.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

That is a Laura Ashley skirt. The label says Size 16, 500mm measured roughly across the top would be about right. Nice skirt, but you are paying for the name and heritage of the skirt. I have no idea, but a follower of fashion may know the difference between and therefore value of various different Laura Ashley skirts. The valuations on eBay appear to vary widely from a few quid to hundreds.

Before they all closed, the Laura Ashley shops always had loverly clothes in them. They were famous for their patterns and the flowing summer dresses.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Mouse wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:59 am That is a Laura Ashley skirt. The label says Size 16, 500mm measured roughly across the top would be about right. Nice skirt, but you are paying for the name and heritage of the skirt. I have no idea, but a follower of fashion may know the difference between and therefore value of various different Laura Ashley skirts. The valuations on eBay appear to vary widely from a few quid to hundreds.

Before they all closed, the Laura Ashley shops always had loverly clothes in them. They were famous for their patterns and the flowing summer dresses.
Exactly mouse. That's the voice of someone who has done their homework. The skirt is definitely overvalued in a second hand market. There are literally millions of beautiful skirts out there looking for a home. As for it's actual value based on the material and the work that went into it? I couldn't make a living at £70.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Kirbstone wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:14 am Even at 4AM in the morning, 19.7 X 2 equals something like 39.4 which is about a meter. Not slim/thin. Looks elastic though and would hold up well around a 34-36 inch waist. Looks like it's about 22" to the hem also, which is modest enough.

Scarlet O'Hara from 'Gone with the Wind' had a 17" waist as a young girl, according to the story. Now that's outrageously slim.

Tom
I think you are right Tom but no elasticated skirt ever holds up on me. They all slide off. At 58 my tum is now slight bigger than my waist.
Also the skirt is a bit Scarlet O''Hara. Not really suited to a 58 year old man. I should stick to.something a bit more sensible.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Barleymower wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:40 am As for it's actual value based on the material and the work that went into it? I couldn't make a living at £70.
Unfortunately, most of the garment industry is built on screwed up cost of manufacture. I really shouldn't be able to buy a new skirt, delivered to my door all the way from China for £17.98

I feel better about skirts where I buy material and then spend my own time making them.... But Amazon is a thing and it feels good to be able to pick up a new look with a couple of mouse clicks, like every body else does, from time to time, despite what I may like my ethics to be.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Mouse wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:16 am
Barleymower wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:40 am As for it's actual value based on the material and the work that went into it? I couldn't make a living at £70.
Unfortunately, most of the garment industry is built on screwed up cost of manufacture. I really shouldn't be able to buy a new skirt, delivered to my door all the way from China for £17.98

I feel better about skirts where I buy material and then spend my own time making them.... But Amazon is a thing and it feels good to be able to pick up a new look with a couple of mouse clicks, like every body else does, from time to time, despite what I may like my ethics to be.
It's nice to press buy and a parcel hit you in the back of the head almost instantly :) it's not right and it will be to our cost in the end once Amazon is the only place to buy.
Nobody wanted to see the high street disappear but they wanted a cheap deal more.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Barleymower wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:50 am Also the skirt is a bit Scarlet O''Hara. Not really suited to a 58 year old man. I should stick to.something a bit more sensible.
I am 60, and I refuse to be limited by the age thing. I want to remain interesting, not be held back by having to be sensible......If I was sensible, I would still be in a pair of black jeans, maybe looking for a pipe and slippers....
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Mouse wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:22 am
Barleymower wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:50 am Also the skirt is a bit Scarlet O''Hara. Not really suited to a 58 year old man. I should stick to.something a bit more sensible.
I am 60, and I refuse to be limited by the age thing. I want to remain interesting, not be held back by having to be sensible......If I was sensible, I would still be in a pair of black jeans, maybe looking for a pipe and slippers....
Ok here's the rub from my point of view. It all depends on what your head is telling you, yelling in your ear 'I want that'. If I listened to everything that voice says I would end up not far adrift from a Disney Princess outfit. Probably because I was denied it as a child. Ram dressed as lamb you might say ,🙃
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Mouse wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:22 am I want to remain interesting, not be held back by having to be sensible......If I was sensible, I would still be in a pair of black jeans, maybe looking for a pipe and slippers....
Excellent way to put it! It reminds me of a recent thing where my wife and I were going to be at Disney at the same time as one of her co-workers from out of town so we were going to meet up briefly. Of course I was wearing a kilt and I think my wife was a bit stressed over the "what will they think?" thing, but I'm so over that. In my mind I figured if this co-worker asked I'd just say "well, I've gotten to the age where it's fun to be eccentric" as a way to lighten the mood. :lol: As it turns out (of course) it was a non-issue.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

"...it's fun to be eccentric..." Well put. :mrgreen:
Seb

Post by Seb »

Barleymower wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:26 pm Ok here's the rub from my point of view. It all depends on what your head is telling you, yelling in your ear 'I want that'. If I listened to everything that voice says I would end up not far adrift from a Disney Princess outfit. Probably because I was denied it as a child. Ram dressed as lamb you might say ,🙃
I'm right with you there. It can be a time and a place where I'd be okay to wear a Victorian era dress with a huge pettycoat, but reason says that its not every day - even if my inner voice keeps telling me that every day would be a perfect day. Better watch it or they might lock me up in the loony bin, one step at a time. :roll:
Not alone with a dream, Just a want to be free, With a need to belong,
I am a skirtsman
Freedom, Freedom, Freedom, Freedom
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

FLbreezy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:33 pm "well, I've gotten to the age where it's fun to be eccentric"
I like the word "eccentric" to describe me along with the word "crazy". However it gets us off the hook, but doesn't help the rest of MIS get accepted as a normal thing.