Treacher wore a dress to school

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Treacher wore a dress to school

Post by new2skirts »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ended.html

Another article about a teacher in a dress, but I think this was more about them not dressing appropriately, in the fact the clothes were excessively tight, and could have been prevented. Also was an issue in tight trousers, so not so much about the dress :oops:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
victor1964
Member Extraordinaire

Post by victor1964 »

Mouse wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:37 pm I am a governor at my local school and I attend in a skirt when I visit. In my defence, it has not been a pink skirt, but who knows in the future.

With uniform policy, shorts were not in the female section for acceptable uniform. In discussion, I put forward the idea that we just have a list of clothes that was acceptable uniform and take out any reference to male or female. The school now has a simple uniform policy that allows choice for all.
Hi Mouse,

I am a school governor too. We changed our school uniform policy in a similar fashion. We had in the uniform choices. Shorts for boys, skirts or dresses for girls. All we did was take out the gender specifics so it now reads...summer uniform Shorts, skirts or summer dresses. We did that across the whole policy.

Was simple to do, not a single complaint from parents.

Ages 3-12
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

victor1964 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:41 pm
Mouse wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:37 pm I am a governor at my local school and I attend in a skirt when I visit. In my defence, it has not been a pink skirt, but who knows in the future.

With uniform policy, shorts were not in the female section for acceptable uniform. In discussion, I put forward the idea that we just have a list of clothes that was acceptable uniform and take out any reference to male or female. The school now has a simple uniform policy that allows choice for all.
Hi Mouse,

I am a school governor too. We changed our school uniform policy in a similar fashion. We had in the uniform choices. Shorts for boys, skirts or dresses for girls. All we did was take out the gender specifics so it now reads...summer uniform Shorts, skirts or summer dresses. We did that across the whole policy.

Ages 3-12
It good news but boys will need to be encouraged to give it a go. Or have a skirts day then a shorts day.

The most important thing, i think, if schools are going to make real change and not just update policy documents is to encourage gender freedom and make it clear that anyone who thinks they can tease, taunt or bully anyone (boys) for showing we can overcome this obstacle; will be sanctioned.

Opinion?
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Barleymower wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:52 pm It good news but boys will need to be encouraged to give it a go. Or have a skirts day then a shorts day.
I believe people, (boys and girls) should be encouraged to be themselves, even if that doesn't involve wearing a skirt. **

Everyone should have the choice, and nobody should feel pressured into anything.

** Except for social media consumption. Kids should "just say no" to drugs... and social media. Both basically do the same thing to the brain.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:49 pm
I believe people, (boys and girls) should be encouraged to be themselves, even if that doesn't involve wearing a skirt. **

Everyone should have the choice, and nobody should feel pressured into anything.
There is though (and of course done with best intentions) a tendency for older people to decide for children who "themselves" are.
Best intentions are justified with concerns about being bullied. What they really mean is they want to mould the direction their son takes "to be a man" and not be soft.
They also concerned how they will be viewed. How they are seen to raise their kids.

I have no ambition to force boys into skirts because that's what I want. What I want is to open the curtains and let the light in. Before that we need a little encouragement. I want to reassure boys that it's ok to do girl stuff. It's a shame to miss out on all the fun of clothes because of perceptions of manliness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:56 pm What I want is to open the curtains and let the light in. Before that we need a little encouragement. I want to reassure boys that it's ok to do girl stuff. It's a shame to miss out on all the fun of clothes because of perceptions of manliness.
Could you say that parents would be willing to extend that assurance to a non-trans male teacher and said teacher's bosses BM?
Only way I see that happening is if the teacher concerned was ultra popular and just waiting for conferral of a sainthood.
MIS are a rarity, teachers in dresses make us look dead common and they also appear to have a shorter lifespan than a losing football manager.
Problem here is that, apart from the kids, you could have at least 50 parent/guardians to convince that sir in a skirt is no threat to their lovely little cherubs.
I know, sweeping and pessimistic statements, but at anything under university level, I just cannot see it happening on any scale in the UK or pretty much anywhere else for that matter.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:42 pm
Could you say that parents would be willing to extend that assurance to a non-trans male teacher and said teacher's bosses BM?
Only way I see that happening is if the teacher concerned was ultra popular and just waiting for conferral of a sainthood.
MIS are a rarity, teachers in dresses make us look dead common and they also appear to have a shorter lifespan than a losing football manager.
Problem here is that, apart from the kids, you could have at least 50 parent/guardians to convince that sir in a skirt is no threat to their lovely little cherubs.
I know, sweeping and pessimistic statements, but at anything under university level, I just cannot see it happening on any scale in the UK or pretty much anywhere else for that matter.
Steve.
OK point by point.
Trans. It's a fairly new term. Before 2000 it wasn't really a thing. The term was sex change before trans. It's become accepted as a norm rather than a oddity. If that can change so can MIS.
MIS could become less of a rarity. There's plenty of men out there now in the open or donning a skirt the minute they walk through the door. Even more thinking about it and even more who would go for it but never really thought about it.
Fear is a massive problem. Humans don't deal with fear very well. Unless they have some strength of character and have been exposed to it enough to be able to deal with it. Luckily for me my mum was always angry, never far from hitting me. Even a softie like me can grow a pair in that environment. Still fear is the biggest problem to overcome.
The solution then is persuading people there is nothing to fear.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Barleymower wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:56 pm - they want to mould the direction their son takes "to be a man" and not be soft.
- I want to reassure boys that it's ok to do girl stuff.
It's a shame to miss out on all the fun of clothes because of perceptions of manliness.
For many, many years, cooking was(and still is) considered to be "Girly/Girl Stuff".
Most of the well known Chef's of the world are MEN.

What did these 'men' go through when they were young :?:

How much ridicule from their peers, did they endure :?:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
mr seamstress

Post by mr seamstress »

Barleymower wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:52 pm
victor1964 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:41 pm
Mouse wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:37 pm

Ages 3-12
Do you in school teach children certain aspects of clothing? I mean like when I was born dresses was used to clothe an infant regardless of sex and was sold as unisex clothing for infants. These fashions trends continue fluctuate from day to day. I look forward when children are taught clothes is just clothes and there is no true girls clothes or boy clothes.
I talk to different women in my community while shopping telling them about history who wore what and what happen to them for wearing certain attire. Case in point women was put in jail for wearing pants even when it was made for them. This happen in the beginning of 19th century here in America. This time period all pants was being declare solid men's clothing and labels had zero meaning. Even judges care less about labels on pants and sentence women for waring pants cause there was law said they can do that. Children need to be taught these true facts.
Today a person can still find clothing label for toddlers in general w/o their sex. This includes dresses and jumpsuit for all infants regardless of sex of infant. Retailers may list such clothing as girls or boys but labels says a different story.
Half of women I talk to was unaware boys infants was given same clothes as girls. Some was unaware women went to jail for wearing pants.
What is weird women are putting unisex clothing on children and they seem don't fully understand what they are doing. I was taught I can wear a dress as an infant. I can wear it as infant then I can wear it as an adult. It's that simple. Women don't understand that.
Women been shock after seeing me in a garment that wasn't pants when I start talking to them about clothes, this include even today one woman got shock because of my attire.
mr seamstress

Post by mr seamstress »

Much I can tell every male that was President here in America wore a dress as an infant. The thing here is this fact isn't taught in school. So when you an American President remind children he wore a dress as an infant same as the Vice President Harris.
Schools here don't teach about all the men we celebrate in history wore same dresses if they were girls.
The average American will reply Daaaaaaaaa if you ask them which President wore a dress.