Are Skorts Going Mainstream in Menswear?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Are Skorts Going Mainstream in Menswear?

Post by Stu »

“I think skorts have lost their radical meaning on the runway. What used to be a statement about subverting gender norms has actually become just that: the norm.” —Alexandra Hildreth

https://hypebeast.com/2024/1/skorts-men ... k-analysis
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Are Skorts Going Mainstream in Menswear?

Post by STEVIE »

Correct me if I'm wrong Stu, but I didn't see any skorts illustrated?
As for them going mainstream for males, no idea, that depends on the big retailers.
Usual thing money and time will tell.
Steve.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Hi Stevie

I wondered if any of the pictures were of skorts, but of course they are designed to look like skirts, so I'm not sure we could tell.

Will skorts for men go mainstream? I'd like to think so, but I'm not convinced. I thought I would share the article anyway.

Stu
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I guess if we take the "anything is better than nothing", attitude, I'll agree.
I'm not convinced either, for two main reasons.
The first is the apathy and lack of will to challenge the status quo by the majority of men.
Then the retailers, a quick check showed that Next and M&S both do a variety of skorts for women.
Their market analysts know damn fine that there will be little or no gain to be had by producing a male version, so why would they?
Yeah, worth a look, I kind of liked the cowboy inspired outfit in a yee haw Texas stomp kind of way but skort, no chance!

Steve
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Most times you would not know if someone was wearing a skort as they look like skirts unless privy to more personal knowledge. Hence I can not imagine your common and garden man choosing a skort.
Perhaps start with a small peplum at the waist and gradually make it longer until it covers the legs of shorts ............ then surreptitiously remove said shorts. People will think it is a peplum when it is actually a skirt:)
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Skorts are not going mainstream for men.
There has been an Internet theme going on where men have been upskirting women and a couple of men have been caught and social media has made a massive deal out of like like all guys and sticking mirrors to their shoes so the can get a glimpse of women's pants.
Lots and lots of women are now wearing cycling shorts under their skirts. Maybe it has something to do with whole upskirting thing maybe it's just spreading by word of mouth. The skort is just and extension of the fad.
I can't see men in general sporting a skort anytime soon.
mr seamstress

Post by mr seamstress »

Barleymower wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:00 pm Skorts are not going mainstream for men.
There has been an Internet theme going on where men have been upskirting women and a couple of men have been caught and social media has made a massive deal out of like like all guys and sticking mirrors to their shoes so the can get a glimpse of women's pants.
Lots and lots of women are now wearing cycling shorts under their skirts. Maybe it has something to do with whole upskirting thing maybe it's just spreading by word of mouth. The skort is just and extension of the fad.
I can't see men in general sporting a skort anytime soon.
The skorts I bought from women section, its undergarment was nothing more than fishnet. This making everything expose. I cut the fishnet out and made these skorts into plain skirts.
These men with mirror on show was looking for more than women pants while upskirting.
crfriend
Master Barista

On "upskirting"

Post by crfriend »

My last "great act of defiance" at the last high-profile job I held was to defy the screams and wails of women about the glass staircase in the grand atrium of the new building that my company had constructed. The screams and wails reached the heavens, but in my final days I made damned sure to walk the full four floors of glass steps -- with a skylight above, mind -- in a very short skirt. A statement needed to be made -- and a guy made it.

For one, getting a decent "upskirt shot" is devillishly complex because of the twin problems of light and contrast. Face it, most places are lit from above, and a skirt creates a very effective shadow around one's privates. There's also the problem of contrast, because what's under the skirt is going to be very dark, and what's above very light. This fiddles with auto-exposure quite handily.

In a practical sense, the "issue" is a non-issue.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Barleymower wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:00 pm Lots and lots of women are now wearing cycling shorts under their skirts.
The only way you would know it's a pair of Skorts and not a Skirt with cycling shorts under it is the Shorts in a Skirt are the same color as the Skirt.
I would be hard-pressed to find matching shorts and skirt in the same color, other than basic colors like Black, White, Red, Navy.

As to men wearing skorts, I've declared 2024 to be the year of the Skort. I have a collection of various skorts, and they will be my summer attire of choice.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I believe that men should wear a skirt over cycling shorts for reasons of modesty but I don't believe that men should wear cycling shorts under a skirt for reasons of coolness and comfort.
You may as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb as skorts look like a skirt anyway; In other words just wear a skirt and be done with it.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

denimini wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:04 am I believe that men should wear a skirt over cycling shorts for reasons of modesty...
This is exactly what I've been doing! The cycling shorts are practical for exercise but wearing shorts over them just traps heat and sweat. A skirt over is much nicer both visually and for comfort.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

I suspect that, if skorts are to go mainstream, it might start with boys rather than menswear. They are often marketed as "kids' skorts" rather than specifying they are for girls and they make a great compromise. I'm not holding my breath, though.