Skirts, Pants, and Deuteronomy 22:5

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Skirt18220

Re: Skirts, Pants, and Deuteronomy 22:5

Post by Skirt18220 »

when that was written men wearing pants would have been rare or nonexistent. in my opinion it does not apply to men in skirts in anyway.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Skirt18220 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:28 pm when that was written men wearing pants would have been rare or nonexistent. in my opinion it does not apply to men in skirts in anyway.
The Bible which all this stems from is a translation commissioned by King James IV of Scotland and first of England in 1604 and published in 1611.
Fact is, that there is considerable doubt surrounding the accuracy of much of the translation.
There is also little doubt, there was a hidden agenda behind his reasons for this very expensive commission in itself.
The gender dress divide in these cultures was probably a hell of a lot worse than now, your right, just not about trousers.
It is a book written by men for men, the inspired holy word is a matter of one's faith.
Steve.
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

It's also worth remembering that the original text was written around 2000 years ago in a country with totally different clothing standards.
I was involved in a theatre group that staged 'Fiddler on the Roof', and we were lucky enough to have a member who could advise us on Jewish religious garments. It turns out that the 'tassels' have significance, and so we omitted them from the costumes for the show.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Steve, was it not James VI (6), not James IV (4) who became James I of England (& Wales)?

Ray
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Yesterday I wore a man's coat and tie outfit. And I saw most of the women wearing trousers, and in several cases, jeans. And for some reason black sneakers with white soles are common.
That strengthen my urge to wear a dress with heels next week.
As far as Deuteronomy 22:15 is concerned, women violate it all the time. It appears that verse is selectively applied to men and not women.

John
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

JohnH wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:31 pm As far as Deuteronomy 22:15 is concerned, women violate it all the time. It appears that verse is selectively applied to men and not women.
John
The crazy thing is I have heard the same passages of the bible being used, when I was younger, to stop women wearing trousers in church, now being used to show that it is OK for women to wear trousers but not men to wear skirts. The bible is a very flexible book which with a certain spin can be made to say anything you like.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...