Non-posting/inactive members?

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Non-posting/inactive members?

Post by crfriend »

On photographs and images: This has been positively beaten to death in the "Pics and Looks" section right up at the top of the page. The size constraints (in "bytes"/octets) have to do with both history and disk space availability on the server that someone else is paying for. Space counts. Why? It counts historically because not everybody had "high-speed" Internet when SkirtCafe was founded, space cost vastly more then, and download times were also a factor. There's also the issue that the software that drives the site (phpBB) is not image-based, so we had to "bend a bunch of things" to make it do what it does here). In the modern sense, with multi-mega-pixel cell' 'phone cameras and the upcoming giga-pixel ones, space would definitely become a concern, download times would balloon, and unless berowsers auto-resize things the images will occupy three or four desktop-spaces. Thus the restriction exists.

Hint: "scale" any image to 800 pixels on the largest side and use JPEG formatting to upload. Do NOT use "inches" or "centimetres" as those reset other factors in the image headers and do not actually change the storage size of the image. This is not rocket-science!

On any upcoming purge of deeply-inactive members, that's going to be weeks away at this point because of some spectacular meltdowns in the Barista's personal life.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

The context or format of a post will often determine the responses received.

Generally this is a 'cafe' conversation. Someone makes a comment or statement and then if others what to discuss it further they will continue the conversation. As in face to face not all statements will lead to a full blown conversation.
If it is contentious then expect responses.
If it is looking (asking) for support you will get responses.
If it is in the form of a question you will most likely get opinions.
If it is a statement then you may only get responses from those who disagree. Most who agree will only respond if you get negative responses.
If it is information, you never know what to expect.
victor1964
Member Extraordinaire

Post by victor1964 »

victor1964 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:50 pm I confess to being more reader than a poster. The reason for that is I feel like I don't have much to say... I wear skirts so often that the 'Out & about' seems a little irrelevant as going out in a skirt is such a non event for me. I suppose I should post more in a support for other members who have difficulties with their skirting (such as problems with their partner or family). I am lucky in that I have support from my wife and don't really care what my extended family think. I realise that for some of us it's not as simple as just wearing what we want.

I will not comment on politics or religion as my thoughts are personal for me, and I think for others members too, even if I think their views appear to me to be absolutely nuts :lol:

I have loads of pictures I could post but it just seems such a hassle to get the file the right size to add to the forum (I do not wish to have my photos on flickr etc).

So I must try harder in 2024 to be more engaged...

...so the first of 2024, a pic of little comfy skirt for the summer that arrived today. ebay for under £10 brand new... bargain

Happy new year to you all

Tony

Edit: still can not attach the picture mentioned above and it's only 444 KB :cussing:
Had some time on my hands and managed to attach the picture mention in my previous post (was reading an post about posting pictures regarding number of pixels rather than image size, guess what... it worked :lol: :lol: :lol: )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

That's a cute skirt Victor. 'Tis a pity it's cold and snowing in these parts at the moment else I might grab something short!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

3 stripes on the side seams - must be the trade mark Adidas brand.
Appears to have inseam side pockets and a length of 15 inches ?
Yes a very cute plain design - "A" line skaters type ? - could easily be worn in cold country with tights leggings etc.

Skirt -On !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

r.m.anderson wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:31 amYes a very cute plain design - "A" line skaters type ? - could easily be worn in cold country with tights leggings etc.
Oh, yes indeed. Tights absolutely, but by the gods please do not fall into the "leggings" trap. We need to fight the scourge of "athleisure"! If we don't nobody else will. :(

If one is wearing boots that cover the ankle, then perhaps "leggings" can work; else, the sharp cut in the line of the leg at the ankle just screams, "I don't give a darn what I look like" -- and hard contrast (black "leggings" and white skin) just make matters vastly worse.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

OK, based on feedback I was receiving via e-mail, we have had problems registering new users recently, and I getting concerned that we'd hit some sort of limit. Therefore I executed the "delete-very-inactive-users.sql" procedure -- and immediately new registrations started showing up -- mostly from would-be spammers, some of whom have already been culled by various background processes.

All in all, 4,645 rows were deleted from the list of users -- most of who were already deactivated for spamming and other grief. No one here should really notice the difference and the list of inactive users went from 75 pages in the administrative GUI to about 7.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

THANKS for clearing out the "back room" :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)